It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First 'Alien Earth" will be found by 2014, expert predicts.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Maybe NASA should talk to the EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY.

www.dailygalaxy.com...

I like Americans, most of you are normal likeable people, but seriously, Why is your Government/Military etc SOOOO secret? Why and what are you Americans afraid of?

Yes you have great wealth, but also great poverty....why dont you share your wealth?

Are you all scared people will see how great it is to live in big homes, drive huge cars and trucks all v8/v10s and generally pollute to your hearts content, and want to invade you?

The USA, Britain, Australia are turning into facist Europe of 70 years ago, and the Europeans seem to have loads of freedom nowadays. Things are all Topsy Turvy....We the Peoples, have to get it back into order.
No. 1 for you Yanks, is to get off your arses (i can say that im not American) and VOTE!!!

Anyway...of course there is other civilizations out there, we have to return the favour, and vist them one day (but without American paranoia and guns)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Perhaps Mars is a reminder of what Earth could look like in a million/several million/billion years?

Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Your mocking tone is moot because most Americans have long accepted that there's little that can be done short of armed revolution.

Good luck on that as well.

Most people have their eyes and their brains glued firmly to the fantasy land they see on TV everyday.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gort51

Anyway...of course there is other civilizations out there, we have to return the favour, and vist them one day (but without American paranoia and guns)

I'm Canadian. I'll bring beer and jerky.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RockLobster
Even if they did find an alien world , they wouldnt tell us about it.

Why do you think they report the discovery of the same old planet every couple of years ?

Really they wouldnt tell us about it really.

Not only have they found planets located in the Goldilocks Zone but they have told us about it.

www.nasa.gov...

NASA's Kepler mission has confirmed its first planet in the "habitable zone," the region where liquid water could exist on a planet’s surface. Kepler also has discovered more than 1,000 new planet candidates

The newly confirmed planet, Kepler-22b, is the smallest yet found to orbit in the middle of the habitable zone of a star similar to our sun. The planet is about 2.4 times the radius of Earth. Scientists don't yet know if Kepler-22b has a predominantly rocky, gaseous or liquid composition, but its discovery is a step closer to finding Earth-like planets.

Astounding isnt it.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

Really is the thread closed, wow amazing how im posting this then.

Again why would keeping secret that we found a planet is the goldilocks zone effect the life on earth? Holy s*** Kepler 22B is located there and it hasnt changed anyones life at all.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

edit on 6-4-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

I'm not really sure what you are saying.

I realize we are incapable of living in peace with our own race. Sad but true: It is partly due to our wars, that we have pushed the development of technology, to be able to discover these planets.

I am hoping, that with these discoveries, we can abandon our hate for each other. Maybe pull together, develop the technology, for the next step.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I fuc... hate - HATE WITH ALL MY BEING, the utter lies told to us by NASA or Astromers about planets etc..... The mass media leaks tiny tidbits about the outter reachs of our solar system, claiming this and claiming that... I say its all fuking lies....

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genxbeyond
I fuc... hate - HATE WITH ALL MY BEING, the utter lies told to us by NASA or Astromers about planets etc..... The mass media leaks tiny tidbits about the outter reachs of our solar system, claiming this and claiming that... I say its all fuking lies....

Sweet, which lies?
Which astronomers?

There are some on ATS. (Astronomers)

I've pointed a telescope or two, at stuff that wasn't my neighbors house, and seen stuff that nasa and astronomers said, wasn't lies.....

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

Thanks for your response. I am stating that mankind is arrogant - to think that here on Earth we can command our knowledge of the Universe - from our vantage point. How do we know we are not being observed from a far grander vantage point by other sentient - advanced and intelligent beings?

In short - to the point - to be blunt - we need to get our own act together here on Earth before we start exploring our broader universal backyard - as it were.

We need to clean up our own planet - rectify the pollution - heal all the sickness and pain before we boldly pretend that we need to conquer another planet. As for technology it should be advanced and used to restore the health of humans and our beleaguered planet. Without our planet Earth we are homeless and whatever wrong we do to her - we do to her broader space - which is part of the Universe.

NASA (never a straight answer) employs artists - to airbrush photographs - that is a clue!

Much Peace...while we learn and heal...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
Haven't we already found planets in habitable zones that could potentially host life? Kepler-22b is one off the top of my head that was found last year I thought.

Some more information on Kepler-22b planet.

Located using the Kepler universe-trotting telescope, the planet that has been named the poetic Kepler 22-b is a balmy 72 degrees.
That’s because it is in a habitable “Goldilocks” zone (see chart below) and seems to circle a sun much like our own.

allthingsd.com...
edit on 5-4-2012 by HawkeyeNation because: added more information on Kepler

I'm pretty sure we have found several planets that could have life on them. Thing is, they're almost all larger than our earth. I think one of them could be an ocean world even. I think it was a hot world, but it could be possible there're cool places ,eh?

Here're a few links to corroborate:
io9.com ...
meta-religion.com ...
www.cosmosmagazine.com ...

Earth-like planets are actually scarce in our galaxy (maybe just 2 billion):
www.dailygalaxy.com ...

But there're maybe tens of billions of super-earths:
www.skymania.com ...

So it all depends if only earth-analogs are life-supporting. What if life can be supported on super earths or on comets or asteroids or in the clouds of planets or in nebula or.....
edit on 7-4-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
We will eventually find a planet thriving with water, but that's it. It will be a big lifeless rock with water on it, an amateur ATS member perdicts.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
If a planet were to be found mankind can set goals to get there. No uncertainties about whether or not a spaceship project would be succesfull in making it to another planet. It's reminiscent of that phase where European explorers would be all over the place. Before that, few wanted to invest in exploration as there wasn't much to gain from. But once the spices started pouring in and money was made, many tradesmen wanted a piece of the action. If there's a planet out there maybe bigger than Earth, loaded with diamonds, gold, oil, metals and 0 pollution a mission to get there might be worthwhile and many big corporations might invest in a spaceship that will get us there.

Whoever gets there first can stay and have the entire planet for themselves. Or would all countries suddenly set aside differences, join together and work at building a new Ark to travel there I wonder, it's all unprecedented. Will there be countries left behind, unable to create a spaceship for themselves, ending their gene pools, culture, history? Will there be military ships to defend the new planet against those countries who finished their spaceship later and deny them landing? Will people ditch their centuries old home in a heartbeat and never return because the new planet looks just like it, only better for example a planet where carnivores never existed, nor would poisonous animals or insects and where there are less natural disasters.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

that eso report is talking about a different kind of star to our sun.

when the media gets involved and there's a general lack of understanding by the public about exoplanet science its easy to be mislead.

There's a lot of abuse of the term "earth-like" , astronomers included. The Ops article is talking about planets which fit the following criteria :

1. less than 2 earth mass
2. Orbits in the HZ of a Sun-like star ( spectral type G or even early K would be good)

we don't have any of these yet

Even then we cant call them "earth-like" because we don't know the composition if they have oxygen or life. We should call them terrestrial planets in the HZ of Sun-like stars. They could turn out to be "venus-like" for all we know.
edit on 8-4-2012 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join