It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First 'Alien Earth" will be found by 2014, expert predicts.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

First 'Alien Earth" will be found by 2014, expert predicts.

www.msnbc.msn.com

"I believe Kepler will find a 'Goldilocks planet' within the next two years," Domagal-Goldman said in a statement. "We'll be able to point at a specific star in the night sky and say 'There it is — a planet that could support life!'"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.space.com
edit on 5-4-2012 by Demoncreeper because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Apr 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix date in title

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The story goes on to explain the complexities of studying planets around a star, but how they will be able to evolve their techniques into new missions, to study discovered planets that fit the bill of the "goldilocks" planet.

I find this very exciting. Not all Nasa officials believe the same, but some others do.

Regardless, it is like offering a disguised version of conspiracy theorists', 'disclosure'. haha.

While I believe that life isn't indigenous to this planet, actually hearing that it likely exists, from an official source, makes my day.

My conspiracy side has another belief. I could derail my own thread, but won't .

But, in the end, this what a lot of us are waiting for. To see them building to it, with scientific confidence, is encouraging.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Even if they did find an alien world , they wouldnt tell us about it.

Why do you think they report the discovery of the same old planet every couple of years ?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

I thought they had found another 'earth like' planet not too far away from us? Or am I thinking about something else here?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Your title and the opening line of your thread are conflicting.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Haven't we already found planets in habitable zones that could potentially host life? Kepler-22b is one off the top of my head that was found last year I thought.

Some more information on Kepler-22b planet.

Located using the Kepler universe-trotting telescope, the planet that has been named the poetic Kepler 22-b is a balmy 72 degrees.
That’s because it is in a habitable “Goldilocks” zone (see chart below) and seems to circle a sun much like our own.

allthingsd.com...
edit on 5-4-2012 by HawkeyeNation because: added more information on Kepler

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Unless Kepler is still unconfirmed I guess. I'm not really following what the article is stating but regardless...it would be awesome to confirm yet frustrating knowing there is nothing we can do about it.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
They already reported finding earthlike planets. Therefore making this old news.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

From the story:

The first true "alien Earth" will likely be discovered in the next two years, a NASA scientist says. Astronomers have found more than 750 alien planets to date, and NASA's Kepler Space Telescope has flagged 2,300 additional "candidates" awaiting confirmation by follow-up studies. This haul has not yet included an Earth-like exoplanet — one that's the size of our planet and orbits at the right distance from its star to support liquid water and, possibly, life as we know it.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

Kinda odd considering that that there has already been several announcement of expolanets being found in so called goldilocks zone with claims that they could be habitable.

Also the article says 2014 while the topic of your thread says 2012..

Personally I dont think you can really claim anything based on goldilocks zone. Mars was said to be outside goldilocks zone, but yet it seems like it was much more earth like and might have been habitable in past.
Atmospheric composition and many other factors play a big role as well.
Either way we don't have the technology anytime soon to even confirm whether a exoplanet has life or not.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Thanks for pointing that out. It was copy and pasted title from news article. wonder why it happened. Be nice if a mod was able to change the title to 2014...

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
And when we point to that star we will never visit, knowing billions of dollars was spent to find it... My life will seemingly not change forever or in any way at all. WOOHOO!
edit on 5-4-2012 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The planets and not planet have been known for some time now. Out of the hundred of military reports of unidentified flying objects, yes by military pilots throughout history should give you an indication that when nasa finally made space travel a reality its primary mission was not to send a man to the moon but it was to seek and find as much as possible in regards to who and what are there intentions.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Already found and already censored. They will not tell us either way. Thread closed........

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
we should just already assume there are earthlike planets out there since i'm typing about it on one.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Haha, yes.. agreed.

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
The planets and not planet have been known for some time now. Out of the hundred of military reports of unidentified flying objects, yes by military pilots throughout history should give you an indication that when nasa finally made space travel a reality its primary mission was not to send a man to the moon but it was to seek and find as much as possible in regards to who and what are there intentions.

I don't need to see military reports of U.F.O.'s, to give me an indication. I've personally made 2 reports to MUFON .of strange things I have seen. haha.

If you want A conspiracy theory behind this, here's one:

There is a belief that the governments are hiding the fact that life exists on other planets, and may have even visited ours.

Maybe, they've been let in on some information regarding a "mass" visit, or even "invasion".

Maybe, they have been slowly working the general public into more easily accepting this fate.

Maybe, the life forms told the Mayan's when they were coming back. Mayan calendar is the result.

For example:

They tested the theory with the life on mars announcement:
www.cnn.com...

Later, to help people of faith more readily accept the idea:
www.abc.net.au...

Now all these discoveries of "earth like" worlds...etc.

Maybe, It's all to butter us up.

And this has been conspiracy day.

Maybe, it's all just science.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Even if they do find one, we have no way of getting there

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BazRaza7
Even if they do find one, we have no way of getting there

Yes, but maybe our curiosity will drive us to stop killing each other. Then we can use that energy and focus on constructive means, rather than destructive means.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
**MOD EDIT**
**Removed Advertising**

19) Advertising: You will not advertise or promote other discussion boards, chat systems, online communities or other websites on the Websites within posts, private messages, avatars and/or signatures without prior written permission from TAN. You will not choose a username that is the same as a website domain, subdomain, URL, organization, or business for which you are associated. Doing so will result in removal of your Post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

For more on this please refer to the Terms and Conditions of your membership

edit on 4/6/2012 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
As an English Teacher I love the semantics of the title of this thread. I have read the exact same title on other sites. How arrogant is it for the cabal/illuminati/whatever to state that WE will find an Alien Earth.

How the heck do they know we are watching the rest of the Universe when it could be that the rest of the Universe is watching us?! We have not yet discovered how to live in Peace with each other - let alone discover 'another' Earth.

I hope people are learning to read and think about what they are reading. The cabal/illuminati/whatever are really clutching at straws with articles like the one presented here.

Regardless of your personal stance or views on the subject of life elsewhere than on Earth - the underlying message and intention of the title of this news article is almost laughable if it were not for all the painful incidents that happen to people and the planet - on a daily basis.

Another planet? The people who are in charge of writing these articles - who do they think they are fooling? Not everyone that's for sure - and that would be their aim - good to see the cracks and flaws are getting noticeable.

Much Peace...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join