It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona bill could criminalize Internet trolling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

ca.news.yahoo.com

It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Post in the comment section of the story says it all:

Prisoner 1: So, what are you two in for?
Prisoner 2: I knocked over a convenience store.
Prisoner 3: Arson.
Prisoner 2: How about you?
Prisoner 1: I Rickrolled someone on Youtube.
Prisoners 2 & 3 look at each other, panicked. They run to the door of the cell, screaming.
Prisoner 2: Help! Guard! Get us out of here!
Prisoner 3: He's a madman!

I want to see how they intend to enforce this one....thank god I don't live in Arizona (people living in that state need to jump on this quick and kill it)

Here is my train of thought on this bill:

Again, I am thankful I don't live there.

ca.news.yahoo.com

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I mean I don't know. What is the definition of trolling?? and do different people have different definitions of trolling. and I mean isnt trolling no matter how stupid,offensive, ignorant, annoying. still free speech???

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Heck, I know some of my posts offend some people on here, so would that mean I should be arrested? Political correctness on steroids.

Ooops, did I offend anyone with that comment?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Nowhere in the Constitution are you guaranteed the right to not be offended or annoyed. Freedom of speech basically guarantees that someone will find offense with another someone's comments. Liberals attempt to control free speech with political correctness.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
then how am i meant to spend my evenings.....lol

trolling and harrasment are two completely different things.....

trolling is fun....

peace

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I mean really, this can't be serious. Of all of the terrible things they could possibly be concerned about, they decided that rick rolling and Dolan the duck are going to be what ends us all.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
U MAD ARIZONA CONGRESS ?

I swear. Internet trolling is annoying,but almost everyone has released their inner troll once or twice. Now the arizonian government has just showed everyone how thin skinned and ignorant they are trying to pass this assault on free speech. If they do pass this political speech will have to be so broad that it will not even be recognizable anymore.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

ca.news.yahoo.com

It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.

Unlawful to annoy? Everyone on the internet is headed to prison LOL.
Can lawmakers get any dumber?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Heck, I know some of my posts offend some people on here, so would that mean I should be arrested? Political correctness on steroids.

Ooops, did I offend anyone with that comment?

Well, at least when you are arrested for internet annoyance, you will have the opportunity to get the full cavity search. It's a bonus. Thanks SCOTUS.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Wow...what's next? 6 months in jail for pooping and not flushing?

If this was posted a couple days ago, I would have been like "LOL...right...APRIL FOOLS!"

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Sounds like Arizona is trolling for trolls.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

annoy or offend

I guess Boncho will not be posting out of Arizona then...

Ambiguous wording, trolls the state legislature with trolling legislation.

Where's my damn freedom fries? I'm hungry...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
So this means 70% of ATS members will be going to jail?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
i think this may say it best.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

www.thenewamerican.com...

from the comments section of above link:

Arizona State Representative - LD26
As the co-sponsor of HB2549 I can see the conspiracy have their tin-foil hats on tonight.

HB2549 is being chased down by the “black-helicopter” crowd. Their claims of internet restriction are unfounded and way off base!!

You can read the bill and full details @ www.vote4vic.com...

Sincerely,

Vic Williams
Arizona State Representative – LD26
1700 West Washington, Suite H • Phoenix, AZ 85007-2844
Phone: (602) 926-5839
E-mail: [email protected]

I think hes talking about "US"...anyway I LOVE the responses, most specifically this one:

Well Mr Vic Williams ... at your direction I have read through the bill you co-sponsored and now have to advise you that you are in violation of said law. Your statements referring to tin-foil hats and black helicopters are quite offensive and threatening to those that appear to have differing opinions than you.

But that aside, anytime that you feel the need to regulate something you are breaking the fundamental and God given rights that are given to Americans ... the freedom of speech being paramount here.

So, I will fore go sending your violation of this law to Governor Brewer at which point -- if she signs it into law -- would be required to throw your sorry a$s in jail .... if you stop trying to take away the rights and freedoms that Americans have enshrined in the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Sorry for the run on sentence....

edit on 3-4-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Explanation: Oh Boncho! :shk:

The ATS servers are situated in Arizona where TAN is also situated ...

Contact The Above Network, LLC Team

Arizona Executive Offices:
The Above Network, LLC
15111 North Hayden Road
Suite 160-156
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Use this form to send an email, or call our toll-free (in the U.S.) number to contact The Above Network, LLC executive team: 1-877-417-2204

And you agreed to these Terms and Conditions of Use [ATS]

12c) Choice of Law. These Terms and Conditions of Use (and for members, the Additional Terms and Conditions of Membership) shall be deemed to have been entered into in the State of Arizona. The rights of you and TAN hereunder shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Arizona without regard to conflicts of laws principles. Each party to this Agreement irrevocably (a) submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of any state or federal court located in Maricopa County, Arizona in litigating any action or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Terms and Conditions of Use (and for members, the Additional Terms and Conditions of Membership), and (b) agrees that any such action or proceeding may be litigated only in such courts. TAN and you agree to waive, to the fullest extent permitted by law, the defenses of lack of personal jurisdiction, inconvenient forum, and improper venue to the maintenance of any such action or proceeding. Any final judgment rendered against a party in any such action or proceeding shall be conclusive as to the subject of such final judgment and may be enforced in other jurisdictions in any manner provided by law.

12e) Compliance With Laws: You agree to comply in all material respects with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations in connection with your activities under the Terms and Conditions of Use (and for members, the Additional Terms and Conditions of Membership).

21) Personal Responsibilities/Indemnity: At all times, you agree to remain solely responsible for anything found within your posts, images, and videos and agree to indemnify and hold the TAN parties harmless from any claim or demand, including attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of any material you submit, Post to or transmit through the Websites, your use of the Websites, your connection to the Websites, your violation of these Terms and Conditions of Membership (or the Terms and Conditions of Use), or your violation of the rights of another.

8) INDEMNIFICATION: You agree to protect and fully compensate the TAN Parties from any and all third-party claims, liability, damages, expenses and costs (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys' fees) arising from your use of the Websites, or violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use (or for members, the Additional Terms and Conditions of Membership) by you or any other user of your account (whether or not authorized), and you agree to indemnify and hold the TAN Parties harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of the Websites, your connection to the Websites, your violation of these terms and conditions, or your violation of the rights of another.

How To Contact Us:

Should you have other questions or concerns about these legal policies, please send us an email using our Contact Form.

Written queries may be sent to:
The Above Network, LLC
15111 North Hayden Road, Suite 160-156
Scottsdale, AZ 85260.

Business calls for the Internet operations, marketing, public relations, accounting, and financial departments are accepted during normal business hours (9AM to 5PM EST) at: (480) 304-5680.

Bill Irvine a.k.a. "SkepticOverlord" - Chief Executive Officer of The Above Network, LLC
Mark Allin a.k.a. "Springer" - Chief Operations Officer of The Above Network, LLC
Simon Gray - Chief Properties Officer of The Above Network, LLC
Stephen Melzer a.k.a. "Crakeur" - Chief Financial Officer of The Above Network, LLC

(These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Please refer to them often to stay up-to-date with our current board policies.)

Personal Disclosure: There is a Bill (Irvine) in AZ that has already
trolling and that is SkepticOverlord

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. I will stay away from Arizona so I can continue my trolling.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
So I can just blast away insulting everyone from there and they cant reply in kind? If only there was precedence for extraditing someone who doesn't brake their local laws into US because something there is illegal... oh yeah.. there is.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks for pointing that out OL. That was a truckload of info. Well done.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join