It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Weird Scientology Stuff in my Town

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I live in Elgin, IL a city just outside of Chicago. About a year ago, while walking through downtown, I noticed that there is a church of Scientology squeezed right in-between other adjacent buildings.

I was shocked! I have the understanding that Scientology is an incredibly outlandish and "evil" organization. I use the word "evil," in a broad sense... in that they seek power by manipulating, threatening, and even murdering people. They have established hospitals, hotels, and public media sources as means to these psychopathic ends.

Now, I noticed this single glass door, covered in the vaguely inspirational posters for the church. A staircase is all to be seen besides a tiny foyer at the base of the stairs containing a small table with some pamphlets.

So, this sent a chill down my spine. I wondered who in my city would be attending such a cult? Nevertheless, I went about my way. Some weeks later, I stopped by the Elgin's weekly farmer's market, held near a park by city hall. Among the tents set up for fresh grains and fruits I noticed two women wearing white jumpsuits. The sign above their tent had a "vaguely inspirational" title and the women were offering "free spinal checks." I had a very foreboding feeling that this was an outreach branch of the Scientologists.

I went to them and asked for a demonstration... It was VERY strange. They didn't so much as look at my spine, as they circled me, holding their arms up and staring me in the eye. They rested their fingertips on my shoulders, all the while muttering things with a negative tone. "Oh, this is not good," etc. They both spoke in this airy, wispy voice... as if mystics. This took about 20 minutes, and involved a series of strange triangulations and measurements.

When the "evaluation" was over, they told me I was in horrible shape and started preparing a substantial amount of paperwork, insisting that I at least come to their clinic for a trial period. People, I am a student of Zen... it is my practice to sit up straight. I am also a student of martial arts, and I have never encountered spinal issues. I have good balance, and good posture. But of course, all of this seemed to make perfect sense along with the Scientology idea. They never had a straight answer about who they were affiliated with.

Now, since then, I have not returned to the farmer's market, but I have passed by the church (door) many times, almost every day of the week, at various times of day/night. Every time I pass, I pull on the door just to see if it's open. I want to go in and ask them what they are doing here, or at least meet one of these poor brainwashed souls in person. It is NEVER open! There are no hours of operation posted on the door, and mail has piled up under the slot, the blinds upstairs are always shut. It seems this office is deserted, or only open on a very rare occasion. So strange!

I ask you, ATS members, have you any experience with this organization? Do you have a church of Scientology in your town, or even know a Scientologist yourself? Can any of you relate to the strangeness of this "Church?"

edit on 31-3-2012 by Aqualung2012 because: .

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
When I was younger I entered a Church of Scientology with a friend in Adelaide, South Australia. Wow, what a strange and somewhat unsettling experience! We each filled out a long questionnaire, after which we were separated and spoken to according to our psychological profile they presumed from the test. My advice would be to step through the door sometime, just to experience it first hand. At least you won't need to guess anymore, and I'm sure you're strong enough to not have to worry about being brainwashed and never making it back to the street!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberdaz
When I was younger I entered a Church of Scientology with a friend in Adelaide, South Australia. Wow, what a strange and somewhat unsettling experience! We each filled out a long questionnaire, after which we were separated and spoken to according to our psychological profile they presumed from the test. My advice would be to step through the door sometime, just to experience it first hand. At least you won't need to guess anymore, and I'm sure you're strong enough to not have to worry about being brainwashed and never making it back to the street!

Haha, that's pretty much the consensus on what it's like in the "preliminary" stages. They too had a long questionnaire (which I falsified completely in terms of identification, address, and occupation.)

I would very much like to experience the setting and perhaps even question a representative of the "church" about the reputation they have... see how far I could get before being asked to leave. I like that sort of thing. Really getting to the point!

Only trouble is, the bleeding door's always locked! looks like its been empty for months.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

A proper buddhist might initiate conversation with a prayer flag delivered wrapped on a brick through the now open glass door. And if proper civil discourse does not ensue and honor is at issue, the matter could be determined with either katana or wakazashi. But the door and the brick and the sword are only illusion, the prayer flag only barely real, John Travolta though 100% real lol

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
While visiting Maui when I turned 18 I was invited to be AUDITED they called it when they got to the part about my parent's income I left the indoctrination. Those vampires followed me with letters to my house for years later.Thank God I was well read into the Occult and conspiracies.
They are not fun people.Dismiss them.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ezekielken

A proper buddhist might initiate conversation with a prayer flag delivered wrapped on a brick through the now open glass door. And if proper civil discourse does not ensue and honor is at issue, the matter could be determined with either katana or wakazashi. But the door and the brick and the sword are only illusion, the prayer flag only barely real, John Travolta though 100% real lol

So many words to say nothing at all.

What are you doing?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I really dont know much about Scientology but I do know they like to try to scam people out of their money so be wary of that. I started to do a little research on Wikipedia and found many disturbing things, including this little gem here: Criminon prison rehabilitation program

What. the. heck. I just find that creepy as all get out.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia Scientology page for your reading pleasure... or displeasure, in case you wanted to see some more crazy nonsense.

One more thing, a little off topic, why is this in the hoax forum? I don't really see anything hoax worthy, just stories about weird cultists.
edit on 31-3-2012 by ProjectBlue because: fixed my late-night typos.

edit on 31-3-2012 by ProjectBlue because: Helps if I add the link, amirite?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectBlue

Thank you for the supplemental links. I'm quite familiar with the beliefs and somewhat familiar with the scale this organization operates on. Below is a tribute to some of the people allegedly murdered by this "church."

I posted this in the Skunk Works section, just because I have provided nothing substantial to support anything really... only to assert my suspicion of the church and its relationship to my community.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

This is exactly why I gave the people at the farmer's market false information. I know they will pursue potential members vigorously, and it is thier mission to destroy dissidents... the more you become involved with this organization, the more danger you are in if you change your mind.

edit on 31-3-2012 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
If you really want to learn about Scientology, here are a few sites with some good information.

The first site is mostly videos of old protest, radio broadcast and interviews of former scientologist. Very interesting. Be sure to check out Mark Bunker's favorites and the pickets. It will blow your mind.

www.xenutv.com...

The next site is one of the better know websites of former scientologist. They tell of their experiences inside the church and expose the criminal acts and fraud committed by the church.

www.xenu.net...

The last site is run by kids who were raised inside the church and who have left the church. Most have been disconnected from family members who remain in the church.

exscientologykids.com...

And of course there are the crazy Tom Cruise videos all over youtube. And to top it all off, read up Xenu and what the church believes in. Crazy stuff.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I've always enjoyed reading on certain groups, and experimenting with some religions that were available to me as a student.

One day myself, my mum and my granny were walking through a flea-market.
Then I spotted a stand with the Dianetics books and the e-meters, with a woman sitting in a chair and reading.
Usually we spoke German quite loudly, because the people here speak English or Afrikaans, and can't understand it.
So when I saw this stand I said: "Look, this is the cult that they wanted to ban in Germany - the Scientologists!"

Next thing the woman gets up and faces me, and she says in perfect German: "Why do you call us a cult?"

I was really surprised, and tried some damage control by saying every religion is strictly speaking a "cult", and I meant it academically.

Then she asked me if I had achieved everything in my life that I wanted.
I said that was an unfair question, because back then I was in my early twenties.
Then we went in circles like that for a while, and I started to wonder if she had a point.
I kept on saying I had to go, but she kept on arguing, although she was quite nice, until my mum basically just grabbed me away.

One actually hears very little of their Orgs here.
What one sees more often is some of their front organizations, like Narconon, although few people know how many such fronts are run by Scientology, and a lot of people get involved through this route, rather than walking through the front door.

I got the feeling however, that no matter which attitude you approach them with, they will deal with you until they get some kind of details.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Yeah, what you described is almost identical to my experience with the white jumpsuit women.

I was sure from the start that this was a front, as you say, to gather people laterally with "self-betterment." In my case, it was the free spinal check, but I was less direct in my approach. They didn't outwardly have any tie to scientology, but the way they danced around and "politely argued," spoke to something in the shadows.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
You serious? I'm right by Elgin...

ahhhman. I kinda wanna check this place out now
I was a figure skater for 13 years, so I've got alright posture, I just pull my shoulders back and stick my butt out kinda awkwardly xD.

TMI sorry

edit on 31-3-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by goldylocks

Thank you for the links! Yeah, I've read much about it... certainly enough to know that they are a very large, very influential, and very dangerous organization.

It's all too easy to laugh them off as being merely crazy because of their doctrines. I think this may not be a mistake. People just stop at "oh they are just crazy." But they are VERY crazy... as well as VERY rich, VERY structured, and VERY intertwined with the fields of healthcare, intelligence, entertainment, and many others.

I am resigned to the notion that they are not to be messed with... but still. I want to walk into that building and ask them just what they are doing.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by novemberecho
You serious? I'm right by Elgin...

ahhhman. I kinda wanna check this place out now
I was a figure skater for 13 years, so I've got alright posture, I just pull my shoulders back and stick my butt out kinda awkwardly xD.

TMI sorry

edit on 31-3-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

Haha, that's the same technique for Zen sitting. Balance is key.

Anyhow, that's cool. Go ahead and check it out, but I'm telling you, I've never seen the place open. Only those women at the market that one time. Don't recall ever seeing them again. But good luck!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

That video is seriously disturbing. I didn't know so many had been killed for speaking out against Scientology.

Keep us posted if you ever do get to enter that mysterious building and get to talk to some of the members. Be careful though.

Thanks, goldylocks, for all the links. I actually enjoy reading about things like this to a point. I will definitely check them out.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I know most religions solicit some kind of money from their flock, including from children.

However, I found the posters in this link soliciting $100 from Scientology kids as young as 3 somewhat over the top.
Or am I wrong, and it's the standard rate for collection box donations for all churches from toddlers since the devaluation of the Dollar?

blogs.villagevoice.com...

Some commentary below the pics claims that "auditing" children is actually illegal in the US.
edit on 31-3-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectBlue

Keep us posted if you ever do get to enter that mysterious building and get to talk to some of the members. Be careful though.

Will do, definitely. I do pass it by almost every day... and never open. The striking thing for me is the mail collecting inside the door... as if no one even stops by. Just an empty church of scientology.

I don't understand it. But this is the thread for it I guess.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

(quoted from xenu.net)

Membership

There exist various categories of memberships within Scientology. Each category defines itself through the amount of money which was paid to the "International Association of Scientologists" (IAS), or the number of people who were signed up for the IAS.

These are the different categories:

a) 6 month begiining membership - free
b) Annual membership - 300 US $
c) Lifetime membership - 2,000 US $
d) Sponsor - 5,000 US $
e) Crusader (New!) - 10,000 US $
f) Honor Roll - 20,000 US $ or 20 new members for the IAS recruited
g) Patron - 40,000 US $
h) Patron with Honors - 100,000 US $
i) Patron Meritorious - 250,000 US $
j) Gold Patron Meritorious - 1,000,000 US $
k) Senior Honor Roll - 100 new members for the IAS recruited or "contributed to IAS expansion in some stellar fashion".

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Is that just their Association?

I'm not sure, but people pay thousands for each course apparently.
Then they also purchase book collections upon book collections.
Those who can't pay end up as volunteers who work long hours in various organizations.

However, I've heard of people who did one course, and said it helped them, and Narconon is not without merits.
I'm not sure why there's a disparity between people's accounts, but it's not always as sensationalist as the media makes it out to be.

edit on 31-3-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join