It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Always been interested in the blue people of Kentucky

articles/links

wondering if anyone knows how many there are alive today, if they are only in kentucky, and if anyone themselves suffers from Methemoglobinemia, or knows someone who does.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Interesting. I've never heard of this condition. Here is a link with some more specific information on the condition:

www.emedicine.com...

I couldn't find any current information on anyone specifically who has the condition but I found this:

Cases of infant methemoglobinemia have been reported in the United States. The majority of reported cases were in infants under the age of four months and who were fed milk formulas prepared with contaminated well water. A Nebraska survey of physicians reported in the Nebraska Medical Journal in 1981 indicated at least eight cases of infant methemoglobinemia were treated in Nebraska between 1973 and 1978. More recently, two infants with methemoglobinemia were identified by the South Dakota Department of Health. The private well water was found to have a nitrate-nitrogen concentration of 150 mg/l in one instance and 54 mg/l in the other. In Colorado, a case of methemoglobinemia involved an infant ingesting water containing 13.3 mg/l nitrate-nitrogen. No cases have been identified with water at or below the MCL of 10 mg/l nitrate-nitrogen.

I would think its occurence would be rare now with less people getting their water from contaminated natural sources such as wells.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I looked through most of the links but could not find pictures, are there any?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Huria86
I looked through most of the links but could not find pictures, are there any?

Just kidding, I haven't found any yet but I'll post one if I do. I don't think people afflicted with this condition appear completely blue, it may only apply to extremeties, but I could be wrong.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

wheezersociety.blogs.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS

wheezersociety.blogs.com...

I saw those too but they appear colorized after the fact so I wasn't sure how reliable they were in depicting the condition.

[edit on 113030p://444 by Weller]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
There used to be a site that had a background about the people and other actual photographs but unfortunately that site has went the way of other internet phenoms... doomed to only memories... I will try to look up the other photographs tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I'm curious as to why this topic was moved to the "Cryptozoology and Mythical Beasts" forum when it is neither related to cryptozoology nor is the case mythical. It is an actual genetic condition (like really, actually, truely documented REAL)... and therefore should not be in this section (whether or not it belongs in Science and Technology is one thing, but since this is a factual topic, it doesn't belong in THIS section.)

Thanks ~BTM

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I also wondered this to, then I thought maybe it was due to a sub animal species...

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Some may find this account of a blue race of humans from The Urantia Book.

5. ORIGIN OF THE COLORED RACES
500,000 years ago the Badonan tribes of the northwestern highlands of India became involved in another great racial struggle. For more than one hundred years this relentless warfare raged, and when the long fight was finished, only about one hundred families were left. But these survivors were the most intelligent and desirable of all the then living descendants of Andon and Fonta.

And now, among these highland Badonites there was a new and strange occurrence. A man and woman living in the northeastern part of the then inhabited highland region began suddenly to produce a family of unusually intelligent children. This was the Sangik family, the ancestors of all of the six colored races of Urantia.

These Sangik children, nineteen in number, were not only intelligent above their fellows, but their skins manifested a unique tendency to turn various colors upon exposure to sunlight. Among these nineteen children were five red, two orange, four yellow, two green, four blue, and two indigo. These colors became more pronounced as the children grew older, and when these youths later mated with their fellow tribesmen, all of their offspring tended toward the skin color of the Sangik parent.

And now I interrupt the chronological narrative, after calling attention to the arrival of the Planetary Prince at about this time, while we separately consider the six Sangik races of Urantia.

[...]

The blue man. The blue men were a great people. They early invented the spear and subsequently worked out the rudiments of many of the arts of modern civilization. The blue man had the brain power of the red man associated with the soul and sentiment of the yellow man. The Adamic descendants preferred them to all of the later persisting colored races.

The early blue men were responsive to the persuasions of the teachers of Prince Caligastia's staff and were thrown into great confusion by the subsequent perverted teachings of those traitorous leaders. Like other primitive races they never fully recovered from the turmoil produced by the Caligastia betrayal, nor did they ever completely overcome their tendency to fight among themselves.

About five hundred years after Caligastia's downfall a widespread revival of learning and religion of a primitive sort--but none the less real and beneficial--occurred. Orlandof became a great teacher among the blue race and led many of the tribes back to the worship of the true God under the name of the "Supreme Chief." This was the greatest advance of the blue man until those later times when this race was so greatly upstepped by the admixture of the Adamic stock.

The European researches and explorations of the Old Stone Age have largely to do with unearthing the tools, bones, and artcraft of these ancient blue men, for they persisted in Europe until recent times. The so-called white races of Urantia are the descendants of these blue men as they were first modified by slight mixture with yellow and red, and as they were later greatly upstepped by assimilating the greater portion of the violet race.
mercy.urantia.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

It appears that there are blue men in Iceland (home of the Vikings) along with some other strange creatures.

ICELAND
2006 Geodynamics Field Trip May 30 – June 8, 2006
Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic InstitutionJoint Program in Oceanography

The northern part of Swithiod lies uninhabited on account of frost and cold, as likewise the southern parts of Blueland are waste from the burning of the sun. In Swithiod are many great domains, and many races of men, and many kinds of languages. There are giants, and there are dwarfs, and there are also BLUE MEN, and there are any kinds of stranger creatures. There are huge wild beasts, and dreadful dragons. On the south side of the mountains that lie outside of all inhabited lands runs a river through Swithiod, which is properly called by the name of Tanais [Russia’s Don River], but was formerly called Tanaquisl, or Vanaquisl, and which falls into the Black Sea.

ocw.mit.edu...

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Huria86

Pictures/links are on another ATS thread. See below.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join