It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant tornado on the sun - never before filmed phenomenon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Hi Everybody,

I'm downloading a better video of it right know and will have it up in a couple of minutes.

It is spectacular! and SDO is a marvelous piece of machinery!!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Certainly is...

Four cameras are at the top of the picture.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

You misunderstood. Actually, its 4096mm x 4096mm. That would be 167,772 square mm.
How's that for impressive?

The FPAs are over 4 meters on a side?? Something wrong there.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
OK Everybody,

Here's the video:

So you all know, I downloaded it using JHelioviewer, I saw the date of the images on the video link from the OP and downloaded a larger timeframe with a better timestep. This was done from Sept 25, 2011 8:00:00 until 16:00:00 at 32 seconds a frame using the SDO-AIA 171 Angstrom images (1 million Kelvin filter).

Enjoy!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this just a vortex shaped prominence?

It's certainly cool looking, and I'm always impressed with what NASA can scrape it's pitifully small budget together to accomplish.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Now that you mention it.
It seems that sources have confused some specs. It probably should be 4096 x 4096 pixels. Unless the pixels are really big...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

Yes, it is a vortex shaped prominence....but what could you call a vortex shaped prominence whirling a ridiculous speeds over the surface of the sun? you can get creative ... solar tornado?

NASA will also put names that sell on normal phenomenon to justify the billions of dollars of your tax money being spent on things like the SDO.... in this case I think it was money well spent, since we can actually tap in on the database freely to take a closer look, and for free!

Here's the video at AIA-304 Angstrom (50.000 Kelvin):

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by andyr1112
reply to post by Phage

your like the only person on this site with vast amounts of knowledge I hope I spelt that right lol thank you for always giving out so much info dude ive learned alot from just the things ive read from your replys

Yeah, good ol' google hey...
Just joking Phage

Thanks for the thread OP;

s&f

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

You misunderstood. Actually, its 4096mm x 4096mm. That would be 167,772 square mm.
How's that for impressive?

The FPAs are over 4 meters on a side?? Something wrong there.

Yeah I was wondering where the CCD fab was in the world that was making 4m sq sensors for NASA, and how they had miraculously fitted them into the tubes in the photo

Nice video anyway
edit on 30/3/12 by morkington because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
thats absolutley UH-Mayzing! to think of the power of our own lil yellow star has, and then to think of the power of stars that are so much more bigger than ours. this has become my fave astronomy vids ever. oh wow!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
is that real?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Most excellent. I still remember elementary school teachers arguing against the possibility of such events; it was a good thing to see on film. Solar weather is a fascinating, powerful thing, and I hope the scientific community continues to stare at the sun.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

And I thought regular tornadoes were scary.

Cool post.

edit on 2-4-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join