Giant tornado on the sun - never before filmed phenomenon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I personally found this new solar discovery absolutely fascinating and something that I would not have imagined as being possible.

NASA has just recorded the first evidence of a giant tornado on the sun's surface. This solar tornado was estimated at being 5 times wider than the earth and with internal speeds of up to 300,000 km/hour.

Wow ... just wow !

Video footage to be seen here:
Source: Solar Tornado

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

That was fantastic. I have never seen anything like that. The Sun is certainly showing some very strange activity as of late.
Great find OP!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

Actually, it's more a matter of "we have some very nice tools with which we can see things we've never seen before."

SDO is a remarkable piece of equipment.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Very remarkable. Wonder why it took so long to release this video.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That's what I was thinking..would the same apply to the comets that fly into the sun? Or are they a new phenomenom?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

No. Sundiver comets are not a new phenomenon but it wasn't until SOHO was launched that it was realized how common they are.

edit on 3/29/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
reply to post by Phage

It takes a while to make *pretend* audio and sync it up. Unless I'm mistaken, and sound now travels through the vacuum of space....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the link and info...I live near the NSO at sunspot NM, I should go hang out some time...the sun is remarkable.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I like it.

The images and animated movies shown here are for a spectacular event observed on Sept 25 2011

users.aber.ac.uk...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

your like the only person on this site with vast amounts of knowledge I hope I spelt that right lol thank you for always giving out so much info dude ive learned alot from just the things ive read from your replys

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'm on the wiki page for SDO. An impressive 1.5 terabytes of data are sent back every day but I see no mention of how the pictures are made. Is it just a regular camera that makes these images or something more technical, for want of a better word?
ETA Sorry, read it too fast, "white light, ultraviolet and extreme ultraviolet (EUV) band passes at high spatial and temporal resolution."
edit on 29/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
reply to post by Phage

They had to remove the giant piramid loooking ship sucking fuel with a huge vacume hose

Seen this clip on the news today. I guess the lack of flares results in other type of storms.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
gee

i wonder how often this kinda event happens on the sun?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Not exactly "regular" cameras since specific wavelengths are isolated and the CCDs are rather huge (4096 mm square), but the basic principles are the same. Capture light with an electronic sensor.

aia.lmsal.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you. 20cm x 20cm CCD's sound very expensive and high resolution. No wonder the images are of such good quality. Most impressive.

ETA Hope I got the numbers right, maths is failing me now, I had to ask google.
edit on 29/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

Doh..square root sign goes before the numbers. It's been a while...
edit on 29/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

You misunderstood. Actually, its 4096mm x 4096mm. That would be 167,772 square mm.
How's that for impressive?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wowzer, the price just went up some and indeed, as you see, maths has been a long time ago for me. Thanks for the correction.

I notice on the SDO wiki page they mention a speck of dust has been discovered on the CCD's, as you mentioned in the SOHO (?) images but I doubt a speck will mean much on something as huge as these babies. That's not impressive it is downright awesome. Is that easily equatable with a megapixel rating such as we see on digital cameras?
edit on 29/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

At some point I was reminded of a ballerina pirouette .
Or a Tibettan Monk doing Kung Fu in his robes.
Nuclear tornados...gads.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

You misunderstood. Actually, its 4096mm x 4096mm. That would be 167,772 square mm.
How's that for impressive?

Pretty impressive. Lets give it some scale. The four cameras aboard the Solar Dynamic Observatory:

Bob's Junk Mail

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join