It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's impossible to be selfish when you are always in service of others...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
You are reading this thread right now, and at the moment, you are in service of me because I desire for people to read this and now you are fulfilling it...

With every exhale you are in service of the plant life which lives off of your breath...

With everything you learn you are in service of others because now you have new information to deliver...

Selfishness is an illusion, no matter what you do, you are always serving through love whether you are aware of it or not...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

With every exhale you are in service of the plant life which lives off of your breath...

That is what I wanted the plants to believe. In actuality though, the only reason I am giving them carbon dioxide, is so that I can satisfy my selfish lust for the plant's oxygen.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'm reading this thread for myself, not for you.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Is it not some selfish desire, even to love? Or what about to help others? You could easily argue that comes from being "selfish". If you help others because you have to, that would actually be less selfish than if it was self-motivation that leads you to do so!

Selfish and even greed is not an illusion, it is just misunderstood. I think everyone is selfish, but that does not mean everyone wishes only to benefit themselves. Desire can lead to many positive things.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

You are reading this thread right now, and at the moment, you are in service of me because I desire for people to read this and now you are fulfilling it...

With everything you learn you are in service of others because now you have new information to deliver...

Selfishness is an illusion, no matter what you do, you are always serving through love whether you are aware of it or not...

I am reading this because i dont have a real life.

I may exhale and service the plant which i then dry out and roll up and smoke

Everything is Eventual and all about perception.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is a question I have pondered for almost my entire life, and I have came to a personal conclusion that there is no act that is truely selfless.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

How is selfishness an illusion when greed and hatred run rampid in the world?

Selfishness comes natural in our world... it is not an illusion.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I like to be of service to others, to assist and help when they are in need, because it makes me feel good.

I receive when I give. If it made me angry or upset to help another, I sure as heck wouldn't do it.

I scratch your back, and with your gratitude, you scratch mine. Pay it forward, and the whole world gets a nice back scratching.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

wouldn't suicide be considered selfless? i mean...once you do that, there is no longer a you!

now OP...while you're merely highlighting the interconnectedness of all that is, it's not really a matter of selfless/selfish...to survive, one must be selfless at times and selfish at others...duality baby....what makes the world go round....
edit on 3/29/12 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Nice theory but the pain it often causes others is greater than the pain it stops in the individual committing the act. (I speak from personal family experience, my step-brother did the very same thing age 23).
Disclaimer: Euthanasia excepted from my example.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
Selfishness comes natural in our world... it is not an illusion.

Perhaps I should have said "absolute" selfishness is an illusion because no matter what you do, you are always doing something selfless whether you are aware of that or not.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Nice theory but the pain it often causes others is greater than the pain it stops in the individual committing the act.
That may be true often, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is true every single time.

At times, it could be the gift of removing a burden. Even though it is a gift that many cannot and/or will not accept, but a gift nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Short sweet and deep, thanks for that.

I was going to free a tiny part of my much loved and remembered ego and say selfishly I desire all that I want for them/me/us/you.
You just made me feel a o k about being selfish

Hugs and kisses for you today
OXOXOX
Amanda

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
There is no escaping selfishness, we desire, we need.

The act of selflessness is fleeting, very few sacrifice for another life's need.

Is it a wonder there is so much pain and greed?

The price we pay, for participating in duality.

Love is the path of balance, a golden in between.

That is rewarded when we pass into the unseen.

(I love poetical, philosophical thought. Beautiful OP. S & F)
edit on 29-3-2012 by CirqueDeTruth because: spelling

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

A person is most complete when lost in fulfilling the needs of other.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Everyone has to be selfish, its called self-preservation. It is nothing to be shameless of. People only accuse others of being selfish because they feel left out.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by timerty

The point is, love is dominant. You are always doing a selfless act whether you are aware or not. Just by breathing you are serving others (trees).

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

reply to post by timerty

The point is, love is dominant. You are always doing a selfless act whether you are aware or not. Just by breathing you are serving others (trees).

I can understand your POV arpgme and it makes sense
. To be selfish requires 1 to be only considerate of themself and their own agenda Negative service to self (STS). But when 1 is of some form of Positive service to others (STO) they remove themself from thinking of only themself (EGO) and become more consciously AWARE to others and then try to assist where they can if they observe areas of harm existing with others. SnF

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Those who are overly STO are in danger of becoming resentful of those who are not.
Those who are overly STS are in danger of others becoming resentful of them.

I prefer symbiosis, balance.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

impossible to be selfish when you are always in service of others

What about when you are in Service of Others because you believe it will make your god happy... or because you believe it will increase your own good karma... or because it increases your own ego through self-righteousness? I hold to the belief that the intention of an action is just as important as the act itself.

I do not think that 'selfishness' is an illusion. I think that separation and separate selves are illusions.

If All is One and you help another, is it not helping your Self? Service To Others may be selfishness in disguise.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join