It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's impossible to be selfish when you are always in service of others...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by circlemaker
Those who are overly STO are in danger of becoming resentful of those who are not.
Those who are overly STS are in danger of others becoming resentful of them.

I prefer symbiosis, balance.

I wasn't talking about being 100% selfish or being 100% selfless. I was just pointing out the fact that love is dominant. You are always doing a selfless act whether you are aware or not. Just by breathing you are serving others (trees).

Originally posted by Sahabi
reply to post by arpgme

What about when you are in Service of Others because you believe it will make your god happy... or because you believe it will increase your own good karma... or because it increases your own ego through self-righteousness? I hold to the belief that the intention of an action is just as important as the act itself.

I do not think that 'selfishness' is an illusion. I think that separation and separate selves are illusions.

If All is One and you help another, is it not helping your Self? Service To Others may be selfishness in disguise.

Absolutely selfishness is an illusion. It does not exist. You are always doing a selfless act whether you are aware or not. Just by breathing you are serving others (trees).

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Don't get me wrong, the core message of this thread is beautiful. However, I experience a totally interconnected reality. Serving Self is serving 'others,' and serving 'others is serving Self. It is the paradox of All is One with the illusion of separate selves.

Selfish, selfless.... another fine example of the dualities.

Serving others is both selfish and selfless, depending on subjective perspective and intent.

But once again, I say; when you serve others, you are serving your Self and vice-versa, because separation is an illusion.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join