It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can You Help A Friend With Talent Get Exposure In Music?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I have a friend who is really coming up in the music world, and I would like to help her get even more exposure, is there anyway to do this, besides the normal route, such as FB, MySpace, or YT, which she is part of all 3, but I really feel like this could get bigger.

Any advice is appreciated.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
One can have all the talent in the world and not make it in the music business. It's more about who you know and where you are than just how talented you are or how amazing your music is.

If they are really really serious, they need to move to New York or Los Angeles. Doing so will up their likelihood of the proper exposure 100 fold.

Other thoughts - take every last penny you can scrape up and put it into advertising on internet and radio. You can generate about one interested person per dollar spent to begin with and at some point you hope that the base you've created gets over the hilltop and word spreads.

edit on 29-3-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Make a new thread here in the music forum. Title it however you want.

Then proceed to post youtube links or whatever to some of the music. Then we shall listen to it, and by this very act, we will all be giving the artist more exposure.

You could repeat this process on any website that allows such postings.

To become successful you must adhere to the new model that has evolved, sharing music, etc.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Are you in the UK?

If so, you can send demo tracks to radio one.

Radio One have a session where they play all new unsigned artists.

BBC INTRODUCING

Hope that helps.

edit on 29-3-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well if you want to hit mainstream, the best is to not have just enough talent, look fake and be willing to be manipulated like a tool.

Personally, I want to start selling and promoting more when my product will have a sound quality comparable to mainstream. Just donate/selling them on my own.

Even so, to get exposure? Pfff, I have no idea. I just can't seem to be able to promote myself that's one thing, an agent can be useful. I'm looking for band members around Montreal Quebec atm, if ever that fits.

Seriously, I make great s*** but I'm totally clueless how to get people to listen it, when they do, they really enjoy but like someone said earlier, it's more about who you know than talent but that doesn't mean you should discourage your friend.

The internet is big enough now to have a nice fan base! If people talk about it, it gets more and more popular. Until he comes out with something, you can always promote me.
buhaha

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
stay away from x-factor or britain's/america's got talent if you beleive in dignity and not being a completely used tool.
youtube, play some gigs, play some gigs in bigger venues.
just keep at it and don't let rejection stop you or anyone from perfecting their talent and getting some recognition.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Thanks guys Im still taking all the advice given, and thanks. I have made a thread with a link to her music.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Upload her music to thesixtyone.com and last.fm. Like her pages and videos on stumble upon . Maybe even pay for some stumbles to start the vital effect. It's very cheap and if it's good that should be the push you need. Also upload to soundcloud. I disagree that it's about who you know. With social media people decide whats good or not these days.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Don't forget about Reverbnation.com.

Excellent marketing tools, and a large user base for all genres.

You get the best exposure from playing shows, and handing out free swag (I hate that word, but evs...).

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I was reading an interview with skrillex and he said he's never spent one dime on promotion. He just had a myspace page.. his first album was made on a laptop in an abandoned warehouse or something and mixed with headphones.

Weather you like his music or not, still pretty cool.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
My family has a record label.

CX

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
My girlfriends daughter has been doing the very same thing, she started off doing a few open mic nights, but with a lot of help from her mum/manager, she is being noticed now. This is what she has been doing...

Non stop bombarding radio stations with requests for interviews. Obviously you will be expected to play one or more of your songs, or have a demo you can send them either on MP3 or CD.

Magazines, local newspapers etc, they will have an entertainment section that may do reviews and interviews with up and coming artists.

Get your music out there already. Anyone can put their music on the likes of i-tunes and start getting paid for it.

Busking. Might sound naff but this has helped her build more fans.

Business cards. Just a decent photo (maybe something musicaly arty) with the artists name, Facebook and email. Always have these on you, and give them out at each gig or whenever possible.

The internet goes without saying. Facebook is a must nowadays, or advisable at least. Same with YouTube, get a channel and do originals and covers as often as you can. You might get a pub gig with 20 people, but a million views from a 3 minute vid. SoundCloud, Reverbnation and many more.

Networking with as many people in the music industry as possible. Sounds obvious but often it's who you know that can get you on the right track. Not that you won't need good talent to back this up, but a helping hand can make all the difference.

As has been said though, hard work seems the way to go. With millions of budding musicians out there, if you're not willing to put the effort in, there are plenty of others that will. Hassle every media outlet, big or small, they can only say no or yes can't they.

Good luck,

CX.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Make a youtube video and post it on Reddit. If he has mad skillz it'll go viral.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
when you have a nice webcam and internet there was chance.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

You should contact Neformore about getting their music on ATS Live!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/atslive-unleashed_150.png[/atsimg]

Music to Conspire To

The off topic sister show. Light hearted talk and banter. Wrapped up in the very best in podsafe music and unsigned bands from around the world, as well as showcasing ATS Members music.

(*** If you are a musician and would like your music played, contact staff by PM or use the complaint form.***)

Regular Presenters - Baz & Amy

Sundays
3pm-5pm EST
Noon-2pm PST
8pm-10pm GMT
9pm-11pm CET
11pm-1am Moscow
6am-8am Canberra (Mon)

edit on April 8th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join