It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panic at the Pumps in the UK.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by JonoEnglish

Yes they are important but so are Nurses and Teachers and I will stand by those as well when they are pushed enough to strike.
Like I said our government has put in precautions to make sure we will not run out of fuel.
The police were offered the right to strike if they gave up their overtime bonuses and are about to be balloted to say yes or no to it. They are the only public service at the moment who are not allowed to strike.
Everyone else has the right to strike whether you like it or not.

I'm saying they shouldn't have the right to strike. Teachers Nurses, Doctors, petrol delivery men or women etc.
What message does it give about us as a society where people can suffer due to those who provide those services downing tools all because they want more £££££££££. None of the above live in poverty, far from it.
Strikes in key services do make people suffer, usually the sick, old or hard up.

Strikes that occur and are not a key service to the GBP, fine strike all you want. Hurt the Company profits which pay your wages, making them take on less people or get rid off positions already there.

edit on 29-3-2012 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Something isa not right here.. there is a bigger picture we're all not being allowed to see..

First we got this petrol rush.. no need for it.. it's daft.. let the strike happen..
It wont matter if peoplehave full tanks now or full tanks at the very start of the strike.. Thestrike would only need to last a week before almost everyone is running on empty.

I saw on a news report earlier that the Gov. are now telling people to fill up when their tank is half empty!!!
That is not cost effective.. it is better to start with half a tank, than to use more fuel running around with an exrtra half a tank of weight on board...

The maths are starting to look out of proportion.

There is also the plan to put a tax on pasties, possibly raising the price of a pasty by 50 pence each.

Why is the Gov. suddnely on a money grabbing mission?
What do they know or plan that we do not have a clue about?

I smell a rat...
Well, rats actually, and they all live in the houses of parlaiment...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

The right to strike is a fundamental right, when backed up with with a valid grievance and support of the union. Would you rather they were beaten or otherwise aggressively coerced not to do so? This is the very reason why unions came about, to balance out the huge power that some employers had over their workers.

The right to join a trade union is mentioned in article 23, subsection 4 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), which also states in article 20, subsection 2 that "No one may be compelled to belong to an association". Prohibiting a person from joining or forming a union, as well as forcing a person to do the same (e.g. "closed shops" or "union shops", see below), whether by a government or by a business, is generally considered a human rights abuse.

Source
edit on 29/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Added source

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

I'm saying they shouldn't have the right to strike. Teachers Nurses, Doctors, petrol delivery men or women etc.
What message does it give about us as a society where people can suffer due to those who provide those services downing tools all because they want more £££££££££. None of the above live in poverty, far from it.
Strikes in key services do make people suffer, usually the sick, old or hard up.

Strikes that occur and are not a key service to the GBP, fine strike all you want. Hurt the Company profits which pay your wages, making them take on less people or get rid off positions already there.

Put a value on your hourly worth..

You wont be able to..

My time is priceless.. I look at5 the wages being offered by ANY company and it is not enough for me ..ever..
I am worth far more than just a paycheque at the end of the month..

We work in a system that demands you accept what you are given.. not what you are worth..
Some jobs are paid far too much for the little effort they actually give, where some jobs give way more work than they are paid..
edit on 29-3-2012 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
And the official explanation fro what destroyed the UK.........swamp gas....er no.....

mass hysteria

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

The right to strike is a fundamental right, when backed up with with a valid grievance and support of the union. Would you rather they were beaten or otherwise aggressively coerced not to do so? This is the very reason why unions came about, to balance out the huge power that some employers had over their workers.

They have a moral DUTY to do their job. People will suffer, not the fit and able like most of us.
the only action taken against those that do strike should be loosing their well paid jobs. Those jobs are well paid, not great but well paid.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

Put a value on your hourly worth..

You wont be able to..

My time is priceless.. I look at5 the wages being offered by ANY company and it is not enough for me ..ever..
I am worth far more than just a paycheque at the end of the month..

We work in a system that demands you accept what you are given.. not what you are worth..
Some jobs are paid far too much for the little effort they actually give, where some jobs give way more than they are paid..

Totally agree until you made that last point.

If you don't like the system, get out of it. Slavery is illegal in the UK, we do have a choice.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaMuslim

Oh, I forgot......

Your credebility went straight out the window when you posted this.....

Are you sure that she didn't do that just to increase the price of fuel?

Spot the ignorant mistake.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Some jobs are paid far too much for the little effort they actually give,

Yip....like politicians, bankers, paper shufflers, number crunchers, doctor's receptionists (a pet hate of mine), etc....not tank drivers though.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Agree with the ones you listed but, to me at least, tanker drivers are paid well over the odds for what they do. Just my opinion but one i stand by.

Mind you, wouldn't mind some over paying myself. For example, i know someone that basically pushes a broom around a local power station and gets 35k per year plus overtime for it! And that is honestly not exaggerating his role there (clearly i am jealous!).

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaMuslim
I feel sad for you suckers, It seems that the Brits can be fooled by pretty much everything. Are you sure that she didn't do that just to increase the price of fuel? Lol, this is incredibly funny to hear. Just buy a freaking bike and cycle you fat people. Sorry for the offensive language, but Brits are really fat.

Its all that loverly bacon and black puddings we eat yum yum cyclings ok but would much prefer to go for a good run

On topic my local petrol station was busy but I wouldnt say it was down to panic buying. Its always busy this time of day, I went to the supermarket and had to wait for one car to move before I could fill up, fishing trip this weekend so filled up just in case
edit on 29/3/12 by darthdamo74 because: dont let anoying flys ruin your day

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

They have a moral DUTY to do their job. People will suffer, not the fit and able like most of us.
the only action taken against those that do strike should be loosing their well paid jobs. Those jobs are well paid, not great but well paid.

A moral duty? Oh please. I could say the same about the monarchy, politicians, law enforcement and all the rest. See how well that works out for ya.

Morals would be supported by giving people a choice. In your world we wouldn't have one. Petrol (gasoline) is not a human right.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I think this might have shown them what will happen in the event of a Real shortage. Those that were closed wouldn't have run out on a regular day of sales. I'm betting that this summer will see record prices all over the world. We are planning to drive to Texas from Central Illinois on vacation and have set back $400 just for gas. Thankfully my sister has a huge house and we don't have to worry about hotels. Hopefully we will still be able to go, my wife drives roughly 80 miles round trip to work and it's starting to get a bit expensive.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

A moral duty? Oh please. I could say the same about the monarchy, politicians, law enforcement and all the rest. See how well that works out for ya.

Morals would be supported by giving people a choice. In your world we wouldn't have one. Petrol (gasoline) is not a human right.

Yes a moral duty. Even those you've mentioned have and should have a moral duty to do the job they are paid and chose to do. Even our Queen has a choice, she could stand down.

Where have I suggested people don't have a choice? If you under your own free will, choose a profession that people RELY on, you should have the morals to do it regardless of money issues.

I guess some people value £'s more than peoples lives.The rich elite will be proud of you.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Unless you are promised one thing, get hired, and its a different story. That happens quite a bit.
And there needs to be cola. So if a company or agency never gives cola, that is a reason to strike also.
edit on 29-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Unless you are promised one thing, get hired, and its a different story. That happens quite a bit.

Yes but you still have a duty to perform as part of that job. There is other action you can take.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

This isn't about money, this is about their health and safety conditions at work. People don't just strike for fun, they normally have a pretty good reason to want to remove their labour.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I honestly do not believe that argument though with regards to this strike. Strikes are something i do not support out of hand, rather i tend to look at the available information. If i agree with what they are striking for, i support them. Likewise, if i do not agree i do not support them.

In this case, i simply do not believe them when they claim it is about health and safety - that is simply an easy excuse to throw out in my mind.

If they were, for example, striking in protest at the ridiculous cost of fuel, that is something i would and could support. Similarly, if they were poorly paid for doing a dangerous job, i would also support them. Just not in this particular instance.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

This isn't about money, this is about their health and safety conditions at work. People don't just strike for fun, they normally have a pretty good reason to want to remove their labour.

It's about both. As for the health and safety issue, we are one of the most health and saftey concious Countries in the World for fear of the 'blame and claim' culture.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

that's how daft things have got.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Lol, just heard the police are telling some stations to close

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join