It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panic at the Pumps in the UK.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

Do you think people want to strike? I didn't but I felt it was my moral duty to do so...I striked because of they wanted us to do hours that were way to long (12 hour shifts) and we felt it would be bad for our patients because we would be to tired to do the job we were getting payed for. So it became a health and safety issue.
To be fair the strike only lasted 4 hours (because the company backed down) but it is the last resort to strike and we won

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

So why do you believe they are striking, if they have such a cushy job?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up OP , i just managed to fill up at the last place still open in my town

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I honestly believe it for more money for less working hours, which, to be fair, i am sure all of us would like. I have supported them in the past and possibly will do so in the future. However, on this issue, i honestly think it is simply about them wanting more money regardless of any spin put on it.

And well done to Boymonkey, that is a great example of positive strike action.

ETA:

Just to clarify, my objection to this is not ideological (ie there should be no strikes), rather it is specific to this particular strike.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Flavian because: Clarification

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Do you think people want to strike? I didn't but I felt it was my moral duty to do so...I striked because of they wanted us to do hours that were way to long (12 hour shifts) and we felt it would be bad for our patients because we would be to tired to do the job we were getting payed for. So it became a health and safety issue.
To be fair the strike only lasted 4 hours (because the company backed down) but it is the last resort to strike and we won

Wasn't the strike action in itself a health and safety issue though for those in your care?

I hope you had enough cover in place so that it didn't leave those vulnerable people needing your care screwed, they have no choice.

btw, my Mum who is in her 60's works in care and does 12 hour shifts, three nights in a row. She loves it and does her job no problem. Sure she has breaks and is even allowed a nap half way through her shift.

Loads of people work 12 hour shifts too.

edit on 29-3-2012 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Flavian

So why do you believe they are striking, if they have such a cushy job?

Greed in this case. It's not only the Elite who have that trait.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
the strike is not about pay, it is about conditions and safety. I know a driver, and they are being pushed and pushed, within an environment that encourages risk and danger and punishes those who speak up about safety issues.

This is not a joke, or a bunch of people complaining that they want more money. This is about public safety and the safety of those in the job.

The government should immediately be dissolved for causing this massive chaos across our country. I am sickened that our government has deliberately manufactured a crisis and panic, to suit their own needs and try to sway the idiot masses against the union.

Thankfully, most of the nation can see exactly what the government has done and while they are taking part in the run on the fuel pumps (because it is self-perpetuating, strike or not) most are also protesting and screaming about how insane our government is.

This is an extremely worrying situation. It shows what lengths our government is willing to go to, creating a national crisis affecting millions of people and hundreds of thousands of businesses. They have harmed millions of their own citizens just to try to paint the unions as the bad guys and them as the heroes and it's disgusting!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Can you live without enough money? I know I can't. Now stop being so eager to espouse the standpoint of those in power and think, it ain't illegal yet.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
the strike is not about pay, it is about conditions and safety. I know a driver, and they are being pushed and pushed, within an environment that encourages risk and danger and punishes those who speak up about safety issues.

What exactly is the health and safety issue then? That explanation is so open.

Why hasn't this been raised with the people who oversee health and safety? If so, what did they say?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Saw it as the MASSIVE story on the news all day yesterday, after traveling half way over the country and back for lunch I saw no queues at the pumps or sold out signs and when I filled up (car was just under a quarter full so usual time to do it) the guy said he'd seen no more than usual filling up.

A slow news day, no panic stories so they decided to make one? lots of queues at the london stations that they congregate at with their cameras... ohh look, I might get on TV, I'll queue nothing to see here, non event.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

Originally posted by Extralien

I'm saying they shouldn't have the right to strike. Teachers Nurses, Doctors, petrol delivery men or women etc.
What message does it give about us as a society where people can suffer due to those who provide those services downing tools all because they want more £££££££££. None of the above live in poverty, far from it.
Strikes in key services do make people suffer, usually the sick, old or hard up.

Strikes that occur and are not a key service to the GBP, fine strike all you want. Hurt the Company profits which pay your wages, making them take on less people or get rid off positions already there.

Put a value on your hourly worth..

You wont be able to..

My time is priceless.. I look at5 the wages being offered by ANY company and it is not enough for me ..ever..
I am worth far more than just a paycheque at the end of the month..

We work in a system that demands you accept what you are given.. not what you are worth..
Some jobs are paid far too much for the little effort they actually give, where some jobs give way more than they are paid..
edit on 29-3-2012 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

Totally agree until you made that last point.

If you don't like the system, get out of it. Slavery is illegal in the UK, we do have a choice.

Um, firstly thank you for your agreement...

As for your last comment

Look here ------> zeitgeist addendum
It's a good starting point

Unless, that is, you can point myself and millions of others towards the exact spot on planet Earth that is not owned, patrolled or controlled by any given power/currency where we can all live freely and as we like as long as we do not harm each other or our surroundings..

Until that time, myself and millions of others are stuck in a controling, enslaving system...

Petrol price trickery is just part of their grand illusion at making their master plans come into effect..

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Wasn't the strike action in itself a health and safety issue though for those in your care?

I hope you had enough cover in place so that it didn't leave those vulnerable people needing your care screwed, they have no choice.

btw, my Mum who is in her 60's works in care and does 12 hour shifts, three nights in a row. She loves it and does her job no problem. Sure she has breaks and is even allowed a nap half way through her shift.

Loads of people work 12 hour shifts too.

It was when I worked in mental health...and yes the company had to get temp staff in so no harm was done to our patients.
Your mum worked 12 hours at night...very different when everyone is asleep and its in a care home.
Have you ever wanted to work 12 hours on a ward where the average worker gets hit once a day? no 8 hours was enough.
If we were tired on our shift co-workers got hurt, you had to be on the ball all the time and no way would it have been safe for me, my work mates nor my patients if we worked 12 hours so don't insinuate that "well if my Mum can do it you should"

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonrunner
Saw it as the MASSIVE story on the news all day yesterday, after traveling half way over the country and back for lunch I saw no queues at the pumps or sold out signs and when I filled up (car was just under a quarter full so usual time to do it) the guy said he'd seen no more than usual filling up.

A slow news day, no panic stories so they decided to make one? lots of queues at the london stations that they congregate at with their cameras... ohh look, I might get on TV, I'll queue nothing to see here, non event.

Well all 12 stations in my town are out of diesel and over half of them are now out of petrol. Every one of them have a line of traffic waiting to get in.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

That my friend is called living in a civilised society. We need laws to protect people from each other. it's not perfect but we all reap in the rewards of it.

We are free, not slaves.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Originally posted by moonrunner

Well all 12 stations in my town are out of diesel and over half of them are now out of petrol. Every one of them have a line of traffic waiting to get in.

We've got loads, come and get it.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What is worrying me right now, is that the tanker drivers want to go on strike for health and safety reasons...

But the Gov. are litteraly panicking people to go and buy more petrol, which increases demand and increases the need for the very same tanker drivers to keep working...longer... in the conditions they are hoping to protest against..

An accident waiting (destined) to happen...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I believe this is a doubel whammy really.

It's not just about the strike, but is there not a 3p per litre rise due on 1st April?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

yeah, I'm sure the conditions are very different. Kudos to you for doing that work. Not sure I could.

Great, you had cover. No harm done. That was responsible strike action. However, this isn't just one care home. We are talking about nationwide problems arising through the actions of a few over a few extra £'s.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

This is not mostly about laws, although law does play a part..

Having a civil agreement not to harm each other is different from having laws that prevent harm.

Much more civil, don't you think?

the moment any law comes into power, or person, or controlling system for that matter, is a bind on your/our personal freedoms.
Anything that binds is a controlling device and therefore, in this instance, enslavement.

Luckily for many modern civilized societies, this is all masked over and called a democracy where you can be less of a slave if you are lucky enough to earn more money than anyone else..

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Can you live without enough money? I know I can't. Now stop being so eager to espouse the standpoint of those in power and think, it ain't illegal yet.

I've lived most of my life with not enough money. Counting the last pennies sadly is something I've got used to.

I hate the rich elite and those that control politics through corruption. Don't get me wrong on that.
This is about screwing people who rely on others who are paid to do a job. Big difference.

Have you given a thought to all those elderly people having to sit in their own filth, unable to go to the loo, change their dressings, get dressed or feed themselves? They aren't all in care homes or places like hospitals.

What about those that are self employed struggling to pay their bills? No petrol, no travel, no money. I guess they don't matter?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join