It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GUNDERSON: Random Tokyo Soil Samples Would be Considered Nuclear Waste In The US!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

While traveling in Japan several weeks ago, Fairewinds’ Arnie Gundersen took soil samples in Tokyo public parks, playgrounds, and rooftop gardens. All the samples would be considered nuclear waste if found here in the US. This level of contamination is currently being discovered throughout Japan. At the US NRC Regulatory Information Conference in Washington, DC March 13 to March 15, the NRC's Chairman, Dr. Gregory Jaczko emphasized his concern that the NRC and the nuclear industry presently do not consider the costs of mass evacuations and radioactive contamination in their cost benefit analysis used to license nuclear power plants. Furthermore, Fairewinds believes that evacuation costs near a US nuclear plant could easily exceed one trillion dollars and contaminated land would be uninhabitable for generations.

This is the real reason no one has leveled with the Japanese people, and the world, concerning the true scale of this disaster.

What really can be done about it???

Freakin' mess....one we will still hear about and deal with for the rest of our lives and the lives of our grandchildren and beyond.

edit on 27-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Heartbreaking and for what? They are still planning to build more plants, and earthquakes are always going to be there, do we love our electronics enough to die for them?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
So they are killing themselves with radiation. Either that, or attempting to mutate themselves in order to have the leading edge on evolution and military personnel.

Sweet. Wait to see what they turn into, then exterminate the viral victims. After all, Resident Evil should stay on the big screen where it belongs.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
an entire nation knowingly self destructing
i cant believe im seeing this!!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by autopat51

Originally posted by autopat51
an entire nation knowingly self destructing
i cant believe im seeing this!!

I don't know about 'knowingly'.... I sincerely doubt the average citizen fully appreciated the risks.

Even now, I doubt the average citizen there fully understands the consequence.

Truly sad.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Would be interesting to know what the Japanese elite are doing, if their all jumping ship and heading out of japan it could be very telling.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Would be interesting to know what the Japanese elite are doing, if their all jumping ship and heading out of japan it could be very telling.

No, they don't, or at least not countless People!
The Politicians and Industry Captains as well as the Imperial Family are still here!

The amount Mr. Gundersen found are not really deadly
and i hope that we will find a way to fight this Radiation!

Since 03/11 we found countless Spots of Radiation
because Tokyo is a old and very industrial Town.

Radioactive Materials was widely used until the '60ties
and they dumped it everywhere,
now many People own and use their Geiger-Counter and of course
they detect this Spots!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Originally posted by Human0815

Yet the amounts are nonetheless sufficient enough to be deemed nuclear waste in this country,

What is the point that you are making? That we in the US are too conservative?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Human0815

Originally posted by Human0815

Yet the amounts are nonetheless sufficient enough to be deemed nuclear waste in this country,

What is the point that you are making? That we in the US are too conservative?

No, not "Conservative"!

Just the Headline:

Random Tokyo Soil Samples Would be Considered Nuclear Waste In The US!

do not serve anyone because when we hear/see: "Nuclear Waste" we see automatically Doom
but it is Nuclear Waste already with a few Bq. of Human-made Radiation!

Normally Mr. Gundersen is working very well and he is one of the few i still trust
but here he do not serve anyone but the Yellow Journalism!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Maybe if the whole countries toxic, They can all leave Japan and live in another country?

Thats what they are playing at, we will wait to people get sick then play some nation will feel sorry for us and take us under there wing..

Crazy thought, but could happen.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Just for the purpose of Information
as well as for the People who do not check "the big One"

NEI Questions Associated Press Reporting on Gundersen Radiation Claims

Dear Ms. Testa:

I am writing to you in reference to an unbylined Associated Press story that appeared in a number of newspapers earlier this week with the headline, "Vt. consultant Gundersen: Tokyo soil is N-waste."

The claim made in this article by Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds Associates that soil collected in Japan could be classified as radioactive waste does not seem to have been independently verified, and hence should not have been published by the AP in violation of long established journalism standards.

I believe a correction is in order.
In order to classify an object or a substance as radioactive waste, it takes more than simply triggering a Geiger counter. In the United States, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission has explicit guidelines. U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission licensees who need to dispose of items that have become irradiated -- in the case of nuclear power plants this often means water purification filters and resins, tools, protective clothing and other plant hardware -- have two options. In the first case, you can ship the waste to a certified disposal site.

However, there are cases where the levels of radioactivity are so low that you can actually petition the NRC to dispose of it in an alternate manner. However, if someone who is not a regulated licensee finds materials that have been irradiated, different regulations come into play.

In the case of Japan, the levels of radiation found beyond Fukushima Prefecture -- and that includes the Tokyo metropolitan area -- are so low that our resident health physicist says that there are no regulations that would require the soil there to be disposed of. Furthermore, without seeing the report from the lab that Gundersen used, it would be impossible for any radiation protection professional to completely evaluate his claims. If a radiation protection professional with 40 years of experience in our industry wasn’t able to verify Mr. Gundersen’s claims, then how was your reporter able to do that?

In none of the articles that I have seen in various newspapers is there any specificity provided to readers on radiation levels—simply broad claims attributed to Mr. Gundersen. Furthermore, there isn’t any evidence in the articles that your reporter attempted to verify Mr. Gundersen’s claims with any independent third parties. According to the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics, reporters should, "Test the accuracy of information from all sources and exercise care to avoid inadvertent error." In this case, it seems clear to us that the reporter failed to do either, which makes us wonder why it was ever published. We would also dispute your characterization of Mr. Gundersen as merely a "consultant on nuclear issues."

Mr. Gundersen has a long history of working as an anti-nuclear activist, and has a direct financial interest in seeing plants shut down, something he is already working actively to accomplish while in the employ of the state of Vermont as it seeks to close the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant.

According to an article that appeared in the Burlington Free Press in February 2010 and is featured prominently on Mr. Gundersen's own Web site, he and his wife Margaret have been paid up to $47,000 by the state to provide just these sorts of consulting services.
---
They read, "Any time a question is raised about any aspect of our work, it should be taken seriously." If the AP truly stands by that statement, one that was first committed to paper by your organization in 1914, you should immediately review Mr. Gram’s reporting and issue a correction to every AP member newspaper that ran the story.

neinuclearnotes.blogspot.jp...

Questions regarding the accuracy of NEI’s claims about AP article

enformable.com...

Please read all three Articles to get the full Pic!

Regards

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

loam, here is a link to Arnie Gundersen's new website that went live today. The name is almost the same, they just added .org where it was originally .com:

www.fairewinds.org...

They now have smaller "thumbnail" photos of each Fukushima report so it's easier to see all the report titles on one page.

And here is a link to the Greenpeace report, Lessons from Fukushima, also authored by Arnie Gundersen:

www.greenpeace.org...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by amraks
Maybe if the whole countries toxic, They can all leave Japan and live in another country?

Thats what they are playing at, we will wait to people get sick then play some nation will feel sorry for us and take us under there wing..

Crazy thought, but could happen.

I heard that they are building nice homes in the US so that millions of people can relocate from Tokyo. Near San Francisco, I think. That was what my cousin said. And that they could all move there and they would help them move with military transports and that they were already looking at new tech jobs for them, and everyone would live happily ever after and not die a slow death of radiation poison.

If you voted for me I would do it, but no one wants to vote for me, so I guess they probably will just let everyone fix their own mess. And actually its worse in Washington State because that is where they used to enrich all the uranium and that is where they would probably want to move the Japanese people because actually most people are not very nice. They only do things for money these days. Sad really.

top topics

join