It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Positive Thread Needed on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
A few quick words on the last few days on ATS. The threads have been littered with racial garbage. I've read most threads from beginning to end and I am appalled.

Yes, there has been a couple of good debates within the threads, which is why most of us are here at ATS. The majority (IMHO) has been me me, you you; I win. Pure garbage. I expect more from the ATS members. No more name calling.

So, as shy as I am, here is a quick list of things we need to do to our fellow man (woman?). Sorry, PC still has my number.

1. Open and/or hold a door for somebody.
2. Let the guy in that's changing lanes. (I know, a tough one).
3. Say "Good Morning" to the first person you don't know but greet.
4. Keep the toilet seat down (on request from my wife)

Civilty is a basic concept that I think most of us lose touch with. Please post your own nicities; we can learn from each other.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
When walking down the street,always keep a permanent grin(smile)on your face cause everybody will wonder what your up to and smile too

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
When walking down the street,always keep a permanent grin(smile)on your face cause everybody will wonder what your up to and smile too

Well, they'll think you're nuts. But in theory, you're right. No-one will go near you.

Thought of a couple more.

5. During winter, shovel your neighbours walkway. It's good excersize and if you haver little ones, a good time waster. Your neighbours will most likely reciprocate the gesture.

edit on 26-3-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

You were not to shy to call me nuts!....smiles spread laughter and conversations in my world.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I always try and give at least a half dozen compliments to people I come into contact with every day. Doesn't have to be anything really special, just something like, that's a really nice jacket or you smell really nice or whatever. That last one is one I use often and women always smile when I say it. I comment or compliment on smiles, eyes, clothes, or whatever and it always seems to be greeted with a smile and a thank you.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'm with ya right up to that last one. If we have to leave it down for the women-folk, how bout they leave it up when they're done? Afterall, we're leaving it down because odds are good we won't need it again before they do. Same logic.

As for the rest... Yes.. I'm with you 100%. I admit I get a little hot under the collar myself from time to time..but I think the rule to follow, for me at least, is to pull back a bit and re-train my reply to a concept or idea, not the person who I'm making the reply to directly.
It seems we always see things go down fast when the debate turns from the story or idea to the individual members who're sharing their view of it. Oh well... Just my thinking

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I agree one hundred percent! I try to be nice to people, no matter how people act towards me. Instead of passing on all the negative hate around me, I put a stop to it when it gets to me.

Also, is it me or are there a -lot- more mean people on ATS now? I do more lurking than commenting because by the time I get to the thread, everything has more or less been said. And more times than not, the very end of the thread when I get there has devolved into name calling and just mean-ness. I came to ATS to talk about alternative news, not to bicker with my fellow humans.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Complimenting someone is so easy and low impact. I agree with it and it can change people. How hard is it to say thank you to someone??! But alas, since my thread started there has already been multiple Trayvon/Zimmerman threads started. Just bashing. Well, at least I'm in a good place. Good luck to all.
edit on 26-3-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This is no small thing. It could be tomorrow that someone you kindly speak to may have had a very bad day. Perhaps they have lost someone close to them. They may have just come back from the Dr. with bad news. They could have lost their job. Your kind word, or smile may just make it a little easier for them.
Same goes for ATS. I have made rash comments, and after contemplation decided to go back and rectify them.
One must learn to be kind. Thoughtful. and most importantly to be forgiving.
Is a single kind word so difficult that we have forgotten how to speak it?
DH

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I do a good news thread every once n awhile. I was actually thinking about it the other day.
I always go out of my way for parents struggling with kids. Poeple help you tons when your pregnant, but not when you have a fiesty kid and a grocery cart.You need more help with kids then you do as a pregnant woman.

An act I will never forget is when I was in the grocery store line,tryinig to get food and medicine for the feverish, crying baby I had in one arm. I was fumblng and the woman in front of me just started unloading my cart.
edit on 26-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I do the same thing.Sometimes a compliment can change someone's day. though I am worried that my coworkers might start thinking I am fashion obsessed.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I do a good news thread every once n awhile. I was actually thinking about it the other day.

I feel as a society we need more positive news stories thrown at us. Where I am, the local news is infatuated with the latest multi-car pile up. Please add to my (meager) list of positive things we can do for our fellow persons.

6. Put your garbage in the garbage can. Take a look at the highway off-ramps . Where I am it's just gross.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

The city I am stuck in, the armpit of America, has high crime and unfortunately, the first 10 minutes of the news is the murder report.

new topics

top topics

join