It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know how much radiation has contaminated the Pacific?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Human0815[You cant test Fish with a Geiger-Counter or he must be so polluted
that he is glowing already , you need a Spectrograph

Apparently a 5kg food sample can do it.
www.bloomberg.com...

Here is some children’s education

Gamma radiation is the most penetrating. Even small levels can penetrate air, paper or thin metal. Higher levels can only be stopped by many centimetres of lead, or many metres of concrete.
www.bbc.co.uk...

It seems odd, that radiation would be shielded by the fish, enough to effect Geiger counter measurements. So I assume if the counter detector was right next to the fish there won't be an issue. The issue will happen if your hold the Geiger counter a long distance away.
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

With a good Pan-Cake Detector and USB connection
it is possible
but not with the Cheapies we are using!

Everything living is Radioactive and hold own
Radiation-Levels, like the Human Body, Fish
or even average Soil, a normal Geiger can't
see the difference, they just calculate.

A normal Geiger would of course detect
a massive contamination in/ on a Fish
but not the Fishes we see in a Supermarkt!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

I wish I knew the answer to that question as well, however the MSM has already shown themselves to be lacking in so many ways that I doubt we will ever truly know. I have been reading ats for over a decade and this prompted me to join, so thanks. I live within minutes of the world famous, record breaking ( for salmon) Kenai river and even here there is a strange hush over this very question. People have already reported finding Japanese debris for months, the most recent incident was only about 50 miles south from where I live. I am not very knowledgeable about the technicalities, but to me it stands to reason that if the currents have carried the debris to our shores, then the radiation must surely follow. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. My biggest worry is that the fed and state of Alaska have both stated that they will not test for radiation, because they don't want to hurt the fragile fishing industry up here.What about our children who play on these beaches and eat the bounties of the sea over a long winter? I have calls in to some local agencies and intend to get some answers or at the very least hopefully get some of the right people locally to investigate deeper. If anyone has ideas or suggestions of who should be contacted please let me know. I will post any info that I may gather here as well, (with proper links, sorry my 1 yr old is mad at me, but this was important) I appreciate that people are becoming more aware, and maybe if more people than just those of us that live in the line of fire complain, then maybe we will get more answers. I will check back this evening! Thanks!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I managed to find some info last night. It seems that Vital Choice seafoods have tested and published their results. newsletter.vitalchoice.com...,b3HCtP8T,w . First I apologize if posted improperly, and second, I understand that anything anyone says anymore has to be taken with a grain of salt. I am encouraged that someone has actually posted some numbers though. The 2 highest readings they posted were for N Pacific caught albacore @ 37.8 picocuries or 1.4 bq/kg, and the Alaska Halibut @ 35.1 picocuries or 1.3 bq/kg. I hope this helps, and I am still hoping some of my phone calls pan out.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Yeah, but you gotta understand that radioactive materials are heavy. They weigh a lot, and have a tendency to filter out of whatever they've contaminated and wash toward the ocean and down deep into the crevasses where we never go. The Earth has its own filtration system. It's like all the hand-wringing that went on with the Gulf of Mexico and people thinking it would be dead forever because of the oil spill. It healed itself pretty quick, and continues to do so.

I wouldn't worry so much about it.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
Like what someone else said I should get a gieger counter and walk into my local fish market. I'm sure they'd love that especially if it picked anything up.

I eat my fair share of peanutbutter and jelly sandwhiches but I love my fish and chips.

That wont work for one. They are not designed to do that.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I have received information from my phone calls and locally at least things are clean. I have talked to people ranging from federal to local government agencies as well as local "green" organizations. One in particular, Cook Inlet Keepers have already been testing beaches and they have NOT received a single hot reading. After explaining my concerns to the gentleman he agreed wholeheartedly and then assured me that his babies are on the beach every day. I will continue to keep a very close eye on my local situation and will keep you updated as I find anything out, good or bad.I wish I could afford my own spectrometer, but for now I choose to trust the people that are trying to monitor the situation, (well as much as government can be trusted). FYI-Cook Inlet Keepers is a non profit, local environmental organization who has NO reason to agree with the general consensus.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

I appreciate that! It is absolutely true. The earth is able to heal from amazing things. I have stood on the beaches where the Valdez oil spill happened, and guess what I saw every day? A sky filled with eagles, gulls and dozens of types of ducks. As many seals as people fishing from the rocks, and otters 10 feet long and fat, munching away on their catch. I have eaten prawns the size of a mans hand from those waters, and they were fresher and sweeter than anything bought in the stores. Oh and I can't forget the dozens and dozens of black bears doing their own fishing as well. I refuse to not pay attention and inadvertently hurt my children, but I also refuse to live in a cave when it so much prettier outside

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join