It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this curious cloud on Mars?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Meteor strike is the simplest and most likely cause..

I think Occam and four out of five dentists would agree...

I thought that but it is highly unlikely IMO...

A meteor strike wouldn't have such an effect as they're small objects the size of cars or in some cases houses but they tend to burn up into nothing or hit no bigger than cars or baseballs, space debris bigger than this is considered an asteroid, and we would have certainly seen that coming, if we didn't then you can start to panik, because we have suppose to have all NEO's tracked

This dust or what ever it is was 60msiles high into the atmosphere, while the atmosphere is not as great as Earths thats still pretty darn high up, and that's a hell of alot of dust/what ever it is that been displaced, to kick that amount of dust up it would have needed to be a fair sized object/eruption,

For instance volcanic eruptions on earth would be miniscule to this dust cloud or some on par, and they only reach hights of around 10miles high here on earth and we all know what type of force is under that plume kicking it up, fore instance...

Krakatoa, one of the biggest recorded eruptions in world history, When Krakatoa erupted in 1883, the noise and the shock waves were recorded around the world creating a 37-mile-high ash cloud, so it would have needed to be some BIG disturbance down there on the ground, and when you think of it like this its even more unlikely to be due to a storm/weather

I think its safe to say its not meteors but i'm no expert,

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Mars seems geologically dead.
That cloud is characteristic of a plume.
My money is on a meteor strike. It makes the most sense, and this is probably the only event that could push debris and dust that high in the atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv
Mars seems geologically dead.
That cloud is characteristic of a plume.
My money is on a meteor strike. It makes the most sense, and this is probably the only event that could push debris and dust that high in the atmosphere.

How big was this meteor? thats one hell of a plume/cloud A meteor could not cause that much distubance

Objects with diameters smaller than 10 m (33 ft) are called meteoroids (or meteorites if they strike the ground). An estimated 500 meteorites reach the surface each year, but only 5 or 6 of these are typically recovered and made known to scientists.

And anything bigger than that are tracked by NASA's Near-Earth Object Program, or at least we would have know to watch for this event such as was the case with Shoemaker–Levy9
edit on 24-3-2012 by WarriorOfTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
it's a cloaked spaceship
2nd

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DissentFromDayOne
reply to post by elevenaugust

ROFL ... if you think that is a photo of "mars" I have some seaside property in Arizona to sell you.

THERE ARE NO PLANETS, just the sun, moon, earth, and stars.

Look again at that photo...it looks like a smooth orange or old tennis ball with some goo on it.

Welcome to truth with a capital T:

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

When the word of God (the King James 1611 Bible---which is perfect and never wrong) tells you the whole world is deceived, then yes, the whole world is deceived.

Turn to Jesus.....today could be your last day....

edit on 24-3-2012 by Lapislazuli because: (no reason given)

Open your mind to ideas outside your preconceived box. Today could be your last day.
My vote is for a meteor impact although I would think a large meteor like that would be seen by others

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Mars is ripe for morphing and we don't need to find another habitable planet. It's sitting right there and we've already reached it. Perhaps one day in the past the Martians thought the same thing about Earth.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Looks like a meteor impact to me, not that I have seen many lol

But there is not much else that we know of that could cause a 60 mile high plume.
I guess we will have to wait and see if there are any more photos from that area of mars to show if that is what it is.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WarriorOfTheLight

NEOs are near EARTH objects, as opposed to near Mars objects... that an asteroid mosied over from the neighboring belt isn't so outlandish. Space is rather spacious, or so I'm told, an tracking every 'lil chunk of matter so far away is rather difficult.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

either impact or geyser. The fist is likely, the second questions everything we know about Mars' interior.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It looks like they are colonizing mars and there was an explosion maybe a test nuke?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
keep digging and you will find what your looking for..

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Looks like those grays are smoking it up yet again. Didn’t this happen the same time last year? The yearly party maybe? Mmmmmm…Curious..

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jpzaino

It looks like they are colonizing mars

How do you leap from an unidentified cloud of some sort to they are colonizing Mars and testing nukes?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by omegazap
It is NOT A CLOUD, it's what mars' northern lights are in that 10% atmosphere it has there, relative earth's pressure;
The aurora effect is tighter and deeper in comparison to earth's.

mystery solved.

What he said. Add in the recent increase of sun "storms" and doesn't that add to this idea? I am not an expert here... experts?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I found an enhanced image in a site:

This looks more like aurora here.
source

edit on 24-3-2012 by intrptr because: link...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Apparently this has happened before, and again an amateur astronomer was involved:

Although unusual, similar "terminator projections" have been noted throughout observational history of the Red Planet, the last being imaged by Japanese amateur Isao Miyazaki on November 8, 2003.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

Some of the images he took in 2003:

www.hida.kyoto-u.ac.jp...

The explanation given at the time also involves coronal mass ejections from the sun. This cloud was first noticed on Mar. 12, 2012 and we had an X5 CME on Mar. 7 as well as others.

In describing the 2003 terminator projection, they said:

The protrusion phenomenon is not likely to be the aurora, because it persisted for several hours, differently from the characteristic nature of the Martian aurora. Furthermore, an aurora would be clearer on the nightside, rather than on the terminator.

The altitude of the light material is estimated to be in the range from 60 to 300 km. At the altitude of 90 km, an ice cloud of CO2 was reported by Montmessin (2006) on the basis of Mars Express UV observation, although it was in the winter hemisphere.

It should be noted that the projection event was preceded by extremely fast solar wind. It is believed that the solar wind interacts with the Mars’ neutral atmosphere due to the lack of the global dipole magnetic field.

It sounds like they said, in 2003, that the solar wind pushed the CO2 ice clouds higher than they would normally go.

wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp...

The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is apparently being re-tasked to photograph this area.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

The protrusion phenomenon is not likely to be the aurora, because it persisted for several hours, differently from the characteristic nature of the Martian aurora. Furthermore, an aurora would be clearer on the nightside, rather than on the terminator.

Yes I'd agree with that, I've seen martian aurora in many images and this looks different. Kudos to the amateur astronomers though, always the first to break news like this.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

A nuclear war is going on on mars ri na. What are the odds that a movie about wars on mars just came out too, John Carter I believe? I swear they are slowly embedding ish in our domes till the truth manifests. It's probably the only way of getting it out there without everyone killing one another due to our sudden realization of our bleak reality, IF it is sudden that is. I would LOVE to see me some aliens.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I was at first thinking it could possibly be volcanic activity, yeah I know they believe Mars is dead but I am not completely convinced. After viewing all the images, as well as the one Phage posted from back in 1997, I myself believe it very well most likely could be an ice cloud. ~SheopleNation

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminateu

john carter of mars was first written about by edgar rice burroughs in 1912. it has nothing to do with any supposed agenda.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join