It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this curious cloud on Mars?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
Throw-off from a meteorite?

Possibly the best choice

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
great thread OP! very cool, i love mars. I'm betting meteor or solar wind pushing clouds up.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
As an amateur astronomer myself and studying mars for over 15 years, this does seem too high for a cloud formation and could possibly be aurora. Which would be an amazing first for an Amateur to capture this rare occurrence, given mars lacks a full magnetic field. Perhaps one of its many magnetic anomaly sites is the cause

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...*Ydim*Zdim&sort=ASC&subselect=Instrument:Magnetometer:

I am interested to see what Data THEMIS will bring back about this, and how they will explain it, if there is a cloud 150 miles above the the surface as Mars has such a supposedly "weak" atmosphere...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

All of those volcanoes in the Tharsis Montes area would not be suspect as they are at the equator of Mars and not close enough to the south pole where this phenomenon occurred (the image should have been flipped but what do I know). All of the large supposedly "extinct" volcanoes of Mars are in the middle latitudes of the planet, something I had not pondered much on until looking over at my huge wall map of my favorite red planet.
edit on 24-3-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

The magnetic regions of Mars are almost entirely in the southern hemisphere. While there are some magnetic regions near the north pole, they are very weak, the strongest being up to 50 nT. By comparison the Earth's field is about 58 µT at 50º latitude. More than 1,000 times stronger.

The Martian aurora (which has been observed) was associated with region with the strongest magnetic field.
astro.wsu.edu...
edit on 3/24/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

For general consumtion:

I enlarged a portion of the May 17 1997 image.
I then posterized the enlargement.
I performed a seperate brighteneing on the original enlargement.

Enlargement:

Posterized:

Brightened:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

It almost looks like an impact??

I don't know...in each picture ..looks like a circular object impacting.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Man, that thing sure does look "solid"... And spherical in nature... Sure this is just my mind playing tricks on me right?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Obviously an earth based space faring agency is farming oxygen on Mars. They probly creat some gigantic O2 eruption and give it time to just settle. Breathable air and a brand new real estate market. This is what happens when you let money pigs run the world.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Swamp Gas... that's all it is... Swamp Gas !

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Nice work. Wow, I don't know what the hell that is. Still could be an ice cloud, but I am not entirely convinced as of yet. At the same time, one never can rule out this being part of the masters of puppets secret black space program. They could be attempting to create an atmosphere on Mars. ~$heopleNation

edit on 24-3-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think this did actually occur in the southern region (of Mars)? Just the image is not rotated to keep the north hemisphere of earth happy? Looks fine to Chadwickus

So I guess that means aurora cant quite be ruled out yet, but I would be doubtful. Happy to be proved wrong though!

edit on 24-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Yeah, I think your right, I was just excited to look into it, and used google mars... I had no idea of the scale!

I was still on the side of meteor strike, just checking what was around volcanically (so I thought!)

I'm not convinced its any form of aurora, looks just so... dust like? Who knows...

CO2 qumulys
cloud it could certainly be, but I guess we all must wait for some more data, hurry up NASA!

Oh....
No-ones guess MAARP yet

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
If it is a meteor impact, that's kind of scary. Could have been us getting hit.

Interesting!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CCLLCCLL

Obviously an earth based space faring agency is farming oxygen on Mars. They probly creat some gigantic O2 eruption and give it time to just settle. Breathable air and a brand new real estate market. This is what happens when you let money pigs run the world.

Why would anyone go the distance to farm oxygen on Mars when it proves to have so very little? That is too much sci fi movie watching, the largest thing man has ever launched to Mars is Curiosity, and it wont get there for nearly 4 years yet.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

You're correct.

If you’d like to make an attempt, it’s located just south of the dark feature Mare Cimmerium at Martian latitude 44 degrees S, 190 E.

astrobob.areavoices.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
Meteor strike? But I don't see any heat signature.

I'm not disagreeing that it could be a plume from an impact but where are you extracting thermal data from? The OP imagery was obtained from filtered portions of the visible spectrum and from a portion of the NIR band. The instrumentation used was not sensitive to longer wave (thermal) portions of the spectrum. Is there other imagery available that has not been posted here which includes longer wave imaging?

Speaking of spectrum, the astro-photographer took multiple exposures with different specific filters and an imaging system of known spectral response. Given our knowledge of the chemical makeup of the Mars atmosphere, someone with appropriate expertise should be able to apply spectroscopy to the images to help determine wether or not the colors of the anomaly relate to expected aurora emissions.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
wake up people, crazy things happening in 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DissentFromDayOne

ROFL ... if you think that is a photo of "mars" I have some seaside property in Arizona to sell you.

THERE ARE NO PLANETS, just the sun, moon, earth, and stars.

Look again at that photo...it looks like a smooth orange or old tennis ball with some goo on it.

Welcome to truth with a capital T:

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

When the word of God (the King James 1611 Bible---which is perfect and never wrong) tells you the whole world is deceived, then yes, the whole world is deceived.

Turn to Jesus.....today could be your last day....

What is this? I was reading an interesting thread about MARS, then suddenly, someone comes along and posts this nonsense.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

That was good.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join