It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory on the worldwide sonic booms - Hot Flow Anomalies !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Recently another location on our Plant is hearing the spectacular sounds of space weather. Clintonville, Wisconsin has been plagued with the booming sounds and it seem no one knows where the sound is coming from.... except me!

Here is a link to the current story in the news.... I know there are others!

USA Today coverage regarding BOOMs in Wisconsin

I offer this theory as my explanation to the sonic booms and loud sounds that are being heard around the world.

I believe the scientific explanation behind the noise is called a hot flow anomaly. This is when basically the solar wind gets caught up in our magnetosphere and chunks of plasma and photons from the sun pool up and then explode in the upper atmosphere.

These events are well documented by NASA

Nasa's description of Hot Flow Anomalies

As the solar wind rushes outward from the sun at nearly a million miles per hour, it is stopped about 44,000 miles away from Earth when it collides with the giant magnetic envelope that surrounds the planet called the magnetosphere. Most of the solar wind flows around the magnetosphere, but in certain circumstances it can enter the magnetosphere to create a variety of dynamic space weather effects on Earth

There was recent activity on our sun 10 days ago that could have been the cause of this recent spat of booming sounds - perhaps there is a delay as the solar material finds it's way to the far side of the planet... i haven't figured the correlation yet but I will try to later on!

NASA never says if those HFAs can cause noise but why wouldn't they? They operate in a similar manner as a thunderclap - large portions in our atmosphere are vaporized by the HFA and the result is a booming sound like thunder...

"Hot flow anomalies release so much energy that the solar wind is deflected, and can even move back toward the sun. That's a lot of energy when you consider that the solar wind is supersonic – traveling faster than the speed of sound – and the HFA is strong enough to make it turn around."

Well - it might not be as exciting as aliens but it has a basis in scientific fact - and the implications if it truly is HFA are awesome... imagine if a larger CME or a more powerful solar wind starts coming at us - or as suggested a high mass object enters our area of operation.... our magnetosphere could be destroyed and the solar radiation could have a field day with life on Earth....

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I believe the scientific explanation behind the noise is called a hot flow anomaly. This is when basically the solar wind gets caught up in our magnetosphere and chunks of plasma and photons from the sun pool up and then explode in the upper atmosphere.
reply to post by brettrix

This is the most probable cause I can find as well. Not only that but if the protons are more "crazy" and more energized then the energy that is released may be....more energetic than in recent times as well. Or... I think it would.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Interesting but not plausible in this case I think. Its just a local community reporting this. An event like that would rattle a whole big portion of the area, not just a town. Might gut is that its some kind of geologic shifting or underground pressure releasing. It seems fairly common world wide...just new to these folks, that's why its scaring them a bit.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Good theory. Do you have any idea why, based on your theory, that these sound events usually happen in a localized area? I an very interested in your theory and have never heard of "hot flow anomalies". Will do some research on it today. Thanks

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Great post! I agree with others that there needs to be a good explanation as to why it would be happening locally, but I sure as heck don't hear any of the MSM trying to come up with explanations. In fact, when the Today show ran their bit on it this morning, they played the X-File theme music and Matt Lauer made a condescending remark about an otherworldly explanation....

Thanks for the OP and good work.

VB

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Hi All -

If the sounds are from a HFA, I find it amazing that any sound is even making it back to Earth at all.. think of how far away they are and how little atmosphere is out there to transport the sound... so to me, that the sound is only localized is not that big a deal... We can have a huge thunderstorm in Glendale but not hear it in Chandler and they are only 25 miles apart. If the sun keeps acting up and our magnetosphere keeps weakening and these sounds are from HFAs then larger and larger regions will start hearing the sound.

That would be a prediction of my theory!

However, I have a good idea about why the sound is only localized and it might need an illustration but since I am working now let me try to just describe what might fit in with my HFA theory... Perhaps the majority of the HFA storm is happening directly above that spot on Earth out in space and when the HFA is over, the sound is bounced back and directed to one point on earth

First off, let's be clear that I haven't been to Clintonville Wisconsin so I don't have an idea what these booms sound like... but let's use that current booming event as our example.

In that city, they have not been able to detect any underground source and are calling in seismologists to try to find something out.. I think the sound will be done and gone by the time they get set up. I imagine the sounds won't happen again in that location for a while at this point unless it is some other terrestrial source which it certainly could be.

Anyway, I submit that these hot flow anomalies actually are pulling apart our upper atmosphere and opening it up into space and when the atmosphere returns the sound is mostly directed back to a single point on Earth. Think of the top of our atmosphere as a sort of parabolic reflector for the sound even though the sound mostly escapes back into space, some is bounced back to earth and as the atmosphere returns to the void caused by the HFA, the sound is directed back to earth at a single point.

Picture a side angle shot of 20 degrees of arc of the Earth with it's atmosphere thinly held above it, kinda like a 2 layer rainbow... when the HFA occurs, it takes a bite out of the top layer of our 'rainbow' and then the rest of our atmosphere rushes in to fill the void. When it rushes in and creates the clap, the top arc of our 'rainbow' directs all of the sound into a single point on Earth.

HEY!!! it's just a theory but thanks for making me come up with some plausible explanation for the localized effect of the sound!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This theory makes a lot of sense to me. Our planet is reacting in various ways to a phenomena that has both shaped it and shaped us to itself.

My two cents. Fine thinking!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I think I agree with Apocalyptic on this one. A sound heard from that high in the atmosphere wouldn't be so localized to just the area of a small town. There was a map shown in one of the videos where the reports came from and it wasn't even the whole town.

Its an interesting theory but it would seem reports would be more widespread if this were the cause ...

edit on 22-3-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Good work! Very interesting, best explanation I have heard yet.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

Thanks! but of course, the official word now is a 1.5 earthquake - that happened Tuesday - so the sound started on sunday and was heard until wednesday and it was that tiny little eq!

Funny! but it doesn't add up to me!

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
And the booms many of us are experiencing in Las Vegas, NV? I just joined the forum when I found the Las Vegas topic,, go to my profile and you can get the link to that post.. No earthquake here..

top topics

join