It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Are What You Eat…….

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by elliotmtl

Er, how so? The legal definition of organic precludes the use of genetically modified seeds.

Because the plants that are grown from genetically modified seeds are not isolated. It spreads like the disease that it is.

That depends entirely on where you get your foods from.

Where do you get yours?

I agree very much

So, what are you saying?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
So, how do you currently eat?

Also, why do you not have your own garden?

I don't have my own garden because I have never lived in a place where it would have been allowed. Dorm, apartment, or parents' house. Maybe that will change in the future. I'm relatively young.

When I am being disciplined I only eat cooked grains (oats, popcorn, quinoa) with healthy oils (coconut, olive, hemp); raw grassfed-source dairy, eggs and honey from local farm, coffee or cacao and powdered greens...all organic. I have eaten like this for up to 3 months at a time, but it never produced relief from my chronic health problems. And as I refuse to see a doctor (don't ask) I looked at a raw vegan diet as the last remaining hope for healing. And am slightly bitter that it seems to be unattainable for me...if you can't tell

edit on 21-3-2012 by elliotmtl because: (no reason given)

If you currently live with your parents and they have a yard of any kind, ask for the use of a 4'x6' area. That's all you need for a decent garden for yourself.

Otherwise...

Indoor gardening!

www.beginner-indoor-gardening.com...

www.ehow.com...

www.your-vegetable-gardening-helper.com...

www.indoorvegetable.com...

www.apartmenttherapy.com...

www.vegetable-gardening-online.com...

indoor-gardening-guide.com...

You can do this, elliotmtl, I know you can.

Also, have you looked at traditional healing methods for relief from your health issues? You should look into herbal remedies as well as alternative medicine. If you can, visit a Chinese herb shop and tell them about your problems: they will send you out the door with a bunch of parcels of herbs and handmade medicines to relieve your symptoms... and they will work.
edit on 3/22/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ariess

Er, how so? The legal definition of organic precludes the use of genetically modified seeds.

Because the plants that are grown from genetically modified seeds are not isolated. It spreads like the disease that it is.

That is only an issue if you are eating something that already has a widespread genetically modified version. I don't eat corn, etc. The modifications do not cross between species any more than growing a field of corn next to a field of oats will turn them all into the new, improved, corn-oat!

Where do you get yours?

Some from a local Amish or Mennonite farm, some from companies I trust. I'm sure there are some foods that could be contaminated with byproducts of the production of contaminated foods, but 95% purity is better than 5% purity IMO...

I agree very much

So, what are you saying?

Nothing in particular, just making conversation and agreeing with your sentiment...it's impossible to be perfect but there's no harm in trying to be as healthy as possible within reason...
edit on 22-3-2012 by elliotmtl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

I will do this someday, I'm planning on growing wheatgrass starting this summer and then more later on if that goes well.

The point remains that I wish to spend less time worrying about and working with food, not more. I would rather be a breatharian if I could. I don't like eating. But one doesn't have much of a choice in this world.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

reply to post by ottobot

I will do this someday, I'm planning on growing wheatgrass starting this summer and then more later on if that goes well.

The point remains that I wish to spend less time worrying about and working with food, not more. I would rather be a breatharian if I could. I don't like eating. But one doesn't have much of a choice in this world.

Well, with indoor gardening, you don't really have to do anything other than purchase your initial supplies, plant your plants, water them every so often, and pick your crop.

Alternatively, you can always just spend all day eating leafy greens. You don't have to think about that - just have them in a container and continuously shovel them into your mouth. Problem solved.

Or is the chewing you don't like?

Just throw a bunch of stuff into a blender every morning and drink that throughout the day. No thinking involved other than selecting the stuff to throw in the blender.

I am sorry you have a tough time with this.

I hope your wheatgrass grows well!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

A gambler, they love to win correct? Nope actually they love to lose; they are not addicted to winning but to losing. Gamblers continue on a losing streak because it’s a comfort to them. Gamblers have gotten so used of losing that when they do win, they have no idea how to handle the money, emotions, or situation and fall right back into the same vibration, that they are comfortable with, Losing.

Not sure what gamblers you have been in contact with but they gamble to win. It is only when it becomes routine and the few minutes of real excitement that gives them a rush that it becomes an addiction. Unlike conventional addictions there is no foreign substance entering the body so they do not deal with that aspect of addiction but the whole rush before say that last card is turned over will either be a big "rush" or a let down. Make no mistake though, they gamble to win. Thing is they loose much more than they win. Unless you get a big payout and stop otherwise eventually it just ends up going back.

I understand this may not be the main point of the thread so addressing the other point, we are not what we eat. Food is just like putting fuel in an engine. You put high quality food in you get a little more mileage but "you are what you eat" is really just a tag line. It is a positive message but certainly not meant to be literal. That is my understanding of it.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher

A gambler, they love to win correct? Nope actually they love to lose; they are not addicted to winning but to losing. Gamblers continue on a losing streak because it’s a comfort to them. Gamblers have gotten so used of losing that when they do win, they have no idea how to handle the money, emotions, or situation and fall right back into the same vibration, that they are comfortable with, Losing.

Not sure what gamblers you have been in contact with but they gamble to win. It is only when it becomes routine and the few minutes of real excitement that gives them a rush that it becomes an addiction. Unlike conventional addictions there is no foreign substance entering the body so they do not deal with that aspect of addiction but the whole rush before say that last card is turned over will either be a big "rush" or a let down. Make no mistake though, they gamble to win. Thing is they loose much more than they win. Unless you get a big payout and stop otherwise eventually it just ends up going back.

I understand this may not be the main point of the thread so addressing the other point, we are not what we eat. Food is just like putting fuel in an engine. You put high quality food in you get a little more mileage but "you are what you eat" is really just a tag line. It is a positive message but certainly not meant to be literal. That is my understanding of it.

Emotions have chemical origins. When a gambler gambles their brain releases a bunch of chemicals that induce their rush. They become addicted to that and associate it with gambling. I agree that gamblers aren't exactly addicted to loosing, but they are addicted to the whole experience of gambling and loosing is a part of that. At least that is how i understand it.

Also, yes you are literally what you eat. If you don't believe in the mystic rubbish that's fine, but what you take in isn't just fuel. It is what your body uses to make...your body. Your cells constantly die off and are replaced. The matter that the new cells come from come from your food. That is also just how I understand it.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Ariess because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by elliotmtl

Yeah I was being a bit dramatic, but it just drives me mad. The smiley face is what through me for a loop, but I actually do agree. Trying your best to be as healthy as you can is a good idea.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
Well, with indoor gardening, you don't really have to do anything other than purchase your initial supplies, plant your plants, water them every so often, and pick your crop.

Alternatively, you can always just spend all day eating leafy greens. You don't have to think about that - just have them in a container and continuously shovel them into your mouth. Problem solved.

Or is the chewing you don't like?

I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure, but I really don't understand how you could possibly either grow or frugally purchase enough greens to fulfill caloric and carb requirements.

I understand that the calorie requirements can go down on a raw vegan diet, but a) there seems to be a tragic lack of information online about raw veganism and real calorie requirements and b) I can't afford to put my life on hold to do such a major transition.

I think most people don't think about the calorie requirements so meticulously and mathematically as me. I'm sure it's a weakness of mine. One should simply eat to near-satiety and not worry about the rest. But I like to know exactly how much food I need to buy or grow so I can plan ahead both financially and logistically.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ariess

Originally posted by Malcher

Emotions have chemical origins. When a gambler gambles their brain releases a bunch of chemicals that induce their rush. They become addicted to that and associate it with gambling. I agree that gamblers aren't exactly addicted to loosing, but they are addicted to the whole experience of gambling and loosing is a part of that. At least that is how i understand it.

Also, yes you are literally what you eat. If you don't believe in the mystic rubbish that's fine, but what you take in isn't just fuel. It is what your body uses to make...your body. Your cells constantly die off and are replaced. The matter that the new cells come from come from your food. That is also just how I understand it.

They accept loosing because they have no other choice and if they did not accept loosing they would not be gambling. Just like if they won every time there would be no excitement so it is the whole buildup to the big jackpot. Just because losing is part of it but actually the last thing they want is to loose and at the same time if they won every time the excitement of winning would not be there but who cares? They are still getting what they want and that is the prize. So the ups and downs, the formalities of it all are part of an addictive behaiour but it is basically a light addiction in comparison to a drug addiction.

As far as the cells, that may be true during a critical time during the formative stage. After that you can eat all the "brain food" or whatever you want to call it and it will not make any difference. New cells are just mirrors of old cells...that is my understanding. The cell matter is not from food but i mean if you eat card board every day your body will decline like if you ate junk food every day.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Just wanted to add, looking at this another way - eating a certain food will never turn you into the next supermodel or turn you into a genius. People are born like that but then people who are average have other qualities and can become just as successful and eating right is good overall.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I did not want to get into posting specific foods, but some of the posters have made me realize that they live in area where gaining access to fresh vegge's may be next to impossible.

I will post the best supplement I have ever taken and still consume on a daily basis, it will supplement greens and raise your energy levels incredibly.

The product I am talking about is Blue/green Spirulina and I will tell you that the only kind to buy is the one that is produced in Hawaii and second choice Arizona, but never never never China produced, it taste is beyond horrible.

Anyhow Google the name "Spirulina", it may not be fresh veggie's but it sure is a powerful supplement if taken daily.

Peace out,

RT

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure, but I really don't understand how you could possibly either grow or frugally purchase enough greens to fulfill caloric and carb requirements.

I understand that the calorie requirements can go down on a raw vegan diet, but a) there seems to be a tragic lack of information online about raw veganism and real calorie requirements and b) I can't afford to put my life on hold to do such a major transition.

I think most people don't think about the calorie requirements so meticulously and mathematically as me. I'm sure it's a weakness of mine. One should simply eat to near-satiety and not worry about the rest. But I like to know exactly how much food I need to buy or grow so I can plan ahead both financially and logistically.

Now, where are you getting the figures for caloric requirement?

Because any information you find for your body height, weight, etc is just a guideline. Those EXACT numbers will be different for every single person.

BMI, for example, does not take a person's genetic proclivity to muscularity, varied bone structure and frame size, water weight, "extra" fat placement (large breasts and "child-bearing" hips), and so on.

The BMI for people with bodies that do not fit the "average" will always come across as "obese", just because of their weight - it has nothing to do with their actual body and how the body looks, feels, or how healthy they are. Likewise, people who look thin may be "healthy" according to the BMI but actually be in awful health.

So, where are you getting your numbers?

You should not rely on calculated numbers for how your specific body needs to be run.

It just doesn't work like that - your body is a custom-built machine, not a mass-produced computer.
edit on 3/23/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I experimented with eating different foods. Many foods take more power to digest than what they give you in health benefits, forcing a person to eat more. Some foods require antidotes to keep them from poisoning us, consuming them requires us to eat something else to neutralize them. I decided to eat soups and a little salads occasionally with some fruits added. I noticed I could thrive very well and even gained muscle mass on about 600 calories a day without being hungry doing it the right way. I studied companion foods and our needs for certain minerals and vitamins. I saw that soups made with a mixture of the right easily digestible vegetables and naturally grown beef and chicken seemed to work best. The formula seems to be genetic specific. A weekly meal of fish helped greatly. I gained weight on this two month trial instead of losing weight. I also gained a lot of strength from eliminating bad chemistry.I guess that to lose weight I need to eat foods that are way harder to digest than what we get out of them.

So has capitalism gotten that much into our lives that it is making us huge consumers of food? I'm sure it has. Eat something and it requires a companion food which needs to be consumed or you get sick. Strange how naive we are

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm not even trying to hit a specific caloric number, just somewhere in the general range of 1750 to 2500 calories a day. But I'd be content with less than that if I could weather the psychological hunger-storm that develops...I'm even open to the possibility that it's possible to comfortable subsist on less than 1000 calories a day if obtaining energy from alternative sources such as sungazing. But I'm not sure. There's a mountain of disinfo surrounding this topic.

It's the glucose/carbohydrate thing that concerns me more, because I always feel awful if I don't get more than 100g of usable carbs per day, can barely think straight and get almost suicidally depressed. I've concluded that this is because my body won't create ketones efficiently, but I could be wrong about that, it could be some kind of prolonged detoxification from a childhood and early adulthood filled with MSG and corn syrup and plastic. But I don't know...its impossible to know for sure.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I noticed I could thrive very well and even gained muscle mass on about 600 calories a day without being hungry doing it the right way. I studied companion foods and our needs for certain minerals and vitamins.

Yes, this is the kind of experience I wish I could learn more about. I would be very happy to be able to eat 1 or 2 small meals a day at less than 1000 calories total and not worry about food the rest of the day and, most importantly, not feel awful all day. It's not even the hunger that I mind, it's the brain fog and lethargy and depression.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I noticed I could thrive very well and even gained muscle mass on about 600 calories a day without being hungry doing it the right way. I studied companion foods and our needs for certain minerals and vitamins.

Yes, this is the kind of experience I wish I could learn more about. I would be very happy to be able to eat 1 or 2 small meals a day at less than 1000 calories total and not worry about food the rest of the day and, most importantly, not feel awful all day. It's not even the hunger that I mind, it's the brain fog and lethargy and depression.

How long have you been able to go in ketosis?

I know that it takes me about a week to get to a point where that strange feeling has completely disappeared. And, yes, it is a form of detox. You are shocking your body into acting the way it is supposed to act.

Once you enter ketosis, the hunger disappears. Completely. You do not crave junk. On the contrary, the more vegetables you eat, the more you want to eat.

And, yes, it is very possible to eat small numbers of calories and live perfectly well. Our bodies evolved to be efficient, and once all of that stored energy (fat) is consumed, your body manufactures everything else.

Your body manufactures it's own glucose with the fuel you give it.

Gluconeogenesis

There is nothing to worry about on that front.

Read the Nutrition section of this article: Inuit Diet

edit on 3/23/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I've severely undereaten carbs for as long as 11 straight days and never experienced the feelings that people describe regarding ketosis. I never felt better. I just continued to feel awful. Maybe I should have eaten even less carbs, lol. A difficulty was that my main source of carbs was raw oat groats and there is no way of determining how much of them were actually being digested and used.

Clearly, in the future I need more controlled and better designed experiments, lol.

The reflection that such discussion brings is useful to me, so thank you

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I've severely undereaten carbs for as long as 11 straight days and never experienced the feelings that people describe regarding ketosis. I never felt better. I just continued to feel awful. Maybe I should have eaten even less carbs, lol. A difficulty was that my main source of carbs was raw oat groats and there is no way of determining how much of them were actually being digested and used.

Clearly, in the future I need more controlled and better designed experiments, lol.

The reflection that such discussion brings is useful to me, so thank you

Well, if you want to go into ketosis, you need to eat as few carbs as possible. Preferably

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Hmm, I guess I was still having too many carbs then. I had always thought 50 for ketosis, 100 for maintenance.

But speaking of the Inuit diet, the meat vs vegetarian debate is so full of propaganda and woo that I don't know how to find a straight answer to the following question: is there any real nutritional or metabolic advantage to consuming meat versus consuming eggs and milk from pastured animals? I should think that eggs and milk would actually be better, because they contain all the essentials in a concentrated form. But proponents of primal-type diets seem to feel that meat is somehow essential and I don't quite understand why.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join