It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People just DO NOT CARE about world events.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I know about world events, because it is my hobby.

I should however reconsider my hobbies and maybe take up martial arts instead...more healthy.

Don't distress too much ops..most people in the world don't know what is going on globally..here, pakistan, china, south africa, etc..the average joe is just wanting to make a bit of money, have some fun later on, etc...they don't care much about the day to day nonsense that world politicians gripe about.

But, we don't really push random people into power to decide complex things.

We have politicians so they will make it their career to know the technicals of what is going on, and represent us (be it our district, our state, or our nation) and work for our interests so we can go on with life doing things like making clothes, computers, and such without having to spend 10 hours a day reading about political issues.

So...

All they need is a good sense of principles, and spend just a little time learning about politicians they may or may not vote for...then vote based on what is important to you, and wait for the next election cycle.

Hmm.. very good response.

However, what if these people don't even care enough to look into the politicians representing them?

Thats how we get people like Santorum and Romney heading the polls.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
I find it mind boggling that people can go about their every day existence and not have a clue that in the very near future there is going to be a meltdown. Anyone who has done even a feeble amount of research into TPTB would be at least moderately concerned. They need be concerned for their welfare because if one is not informed, then one cannot be prepared, and if one is not prepared, it will result in a severe shock to their daily routine.

I think the KONY thing was brilliant.

What happened was people around the nation and world became interested in something political.

That is how to get people interested in an issue...not overloaded, a simple target, a solution, and make them feel like they actually can do something (yay, I clicked thumbs up..I am an activist).

Their are a bajillion videos out there, but its always overloaded with tons of issues all crammed into a few minutes and rampant with half truths, beliefs, and other nonsense.

A guy, a cute kid, some simple words, a single target, a very elementry solution, and piece by piece, there could be changes over time...but nobody wants to go from their daily grind to a sudden 10 minute conspiracy overload showing pretty much a different universe they are living in (no matter how true it may or may not be)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by DavidsHope
I find it mind boggling that people can go about their every day existence and not have a clue that in the very near future there is going to be a meltdown. Anyone who has done even a feeble amount of research into TPTB would be at least moderately concerned. They need be concerned for their welfare because if one is not informed, then one cannot be prepared, and if one is not prepared, it will result in a severe shock to their daily routine.

I think the KONY thing was brilliant.

What happened was people around the nation and world became interested in something political.

That is how to get people interested in an issue...not overloaded, a simple target, a solution, and make them feel like they actually can do something (yay, I clicked thumbs up..I am an activist).

Their are a bajillion videos out there, but its always overloaded with tons of issues all crammed into a few minutes and rampant with half truths, beliefs, and other nonsense.

A guy, a cute kid, some simple words, a single target, a very elementry solution, and piece by piece, there could be changes over time...but nobody wants to go from their daily grind to a sudden 10 minute conspiracy overload showing pretty much a different universe they are living in (no matter how true it may or may not be)

Maybe if we put some other issues into simple, emotional videos we could get a lot more issues resolved.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRamblinRose
Hmm.. very good response.

However, what if these people don't even care enough to look into the politicians representing them?

Thats how we get people like Santorum and Romney heading the polls.

Then they either ask their parents whom they are voting and simply follow suit, or don't vote typically.

You don't want to know my views on those two idiots. Will just say that the 2012 election cycle has been little more than positioning from the GOP for 2016..not for any actual win. The economy is still broke, they want to come in when the economy is fine again..let the other team fix it.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

Originally posted by monkofmimir

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Honestly, the one place where I have seen the name 'Lady Gaga', more than anywhere else, is right here on ATS.

Thats because she is a conveniant example. besides some people on here probably couldn't name any other popular currant music acts.
and your point is....??

some people probably do just pretend to care but no matter how flawed their motivation at least they do tend to cultivate a better understanding of the world even if they're interptritation of it is heavily coloured by their own beliefs.
Those who only pretend to care, do not have the motivation that they pretend to have. Why do you feel that it is good for others to have an understanding, that you believe is similar to your own, when there is no actual motivation?

People like that are imperfect in the situation but they arn't really the problem, the problem are people who willfully delight in their own ignorance. People who can name every winner of xfactor but can't name the last president of the US or find iraq on a map.
I don't know what 'xfactor' is.

What is accomplished from being able to point a finger at a picture of Iraq, while comfortably sitting in a cushioned chair, in front of a computer, sipping on an ice cold drink, in an air conditioned room? Nothing!

Most of these people arn't stupid they are capable of grasping world events but they'd rather not because they find it depressing, their philosophy seems to be "burying your head in the sand and humming a pretty ditty makes the world a better place."
What are you doing about it?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I don't really think about "what if's"... Its hardly a way to live...

What if a meteor hits the earth...

What if you get into a fatal car accident...

What if you get struck by lightening...

IF it happens it happens...

I think you are wrong, you do think about what ifs thousands of times everyday, every time you put your seat belt on you are on some level thinking what if I have a car accident prahaps this will stop it from being fatal.
edit on 20-3-2012 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

I know i am right...

I don't think about those things every day... never actually... I don't live in fear...

I put on my seatbelt because its logical... not because im afraid of getting in an accident...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

So the answer is to spoon feed people simple messages bogged down with emotional blackmail and then expect them to do only the bearest minimum.

Your probably right that is as close to a solution as there is to the problem. Ultimatly though its not informing people helping them understand, its manipulation and propeganda used for a moral cause. These are the same acusations that many people here on ats make against the main stream media. These ignorant people end up the tools of one person or another...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

So the answer is to spoon feed people simple messages bogged down with emotional blackmail and then expect them to do only the bearest minimum.

in a word, yes.

Grander schemes may require 3 wishes from a Genie.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

on the lady gaga thing, your message read to me like you were imply that in some strange kinda way way people on ats were more obsessed with gaga than people off of ats I was just trying to clarify why her name comes up so much.

These people who discuss without motivation are no longer burying there head in the sand at least not in such a willfully ignorant way, they also create debate and chalenge peoples ideas and beliefs. I'm not saying its good for people to be in this situation just than its better.

x factor is a popular reality tv show

What is accomplished from being able to point a finger at a picture of Iraq, while comfortably sitting in a cushioned chair, in front of a computer, sipping on an ice cold drink, in an air conditioned room? Nothing!

People learn, they gain knowledge, you are right though knowledge without application is pretty much useless though but just because people arn't throwing molotovs or chanting slogans while marching down the street doesn't mean they arn't trying to change things.

What are you doing about it?

Quite a bit actually,
first of all I'm learning. I'm sitting behind my computer or books or my desk trying to better understand the world and how I can actually make a diffrence.
Secondly I have protested and supported protests, not as often I would have liked to due to finacial constraints but protests usually fall on deaf ears so this isn't a priority for me at the moment
Thirdly I have tried to talk to people, when they bring up issues I offer them alternative interpritations and information to what they're used to. Even if I can't make people as interested as I'd like I can at least in some small way try to make them better informed and hope that that motivates them.
Fourthly I try to become the change I want to see.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I'm not saying you live in fear, "what if" isn't neciserily an emotional thing, I would consider it common sense. People who ask what if constantly because they are terrified of the future are doing it wrong, people should and usually are cautious because its sensible to be.

You don't have to live in terror to take sensible precautions.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRamblinRose

thanks for bring this subject to light. i had my mother-in-law in my home for 5 weeks. she was on facebook EVERYDAY, yet did not check the news ONE time. my own mother is the same way. and children these days are being distracted to the point that if it is not on tv, it didn't happen. people when they come home from work will sit down in front of the TV and if something educational comes on they quickly change the channel like they are going to get some kind of disease. I admit, i go a little overboard. I care about current events a little too much, almost to the point of anxiety as i read about the thousands of pointless deaths and abuses taking place everyday across the world. if you read the thread in my signature "does war deserve our children" you'll get just a taste of what a bleeding heart i am.

because you are aware of the injustice taking place, YOU ARE NOW RESPONSIBLE TO DO SOMETHING.

ETA: don't forget the old adage "ignorance is bliss" that's what i'm thinking about while people are gushing about how happy they are
edit on 24-3-2012 by couldbeanyone because: eta

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Most world events just don't affect me or other people like me at all. Even some of those government things don't really affect me at all.

Why should a person care about things that don't affect them in some way?

Plus, there are a lot of things to be informed about. Hundreds of volumes of things to care about. You can't care about everything or you'll be stretched really thin and suffer from stress.

So why should people have to care about things that don't affect them personally?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

these things very much do effect you personally and massively so, every time you pay taxes world events are effecting you personally every time you deal with the effect of a law politics are effecting you personally.

even if you discount the fact that society is massivly influence and you life is shaped and moulded by politics most generations have at some point had to deal with major upheaval during their life, worlds wars, civil wars, famine, civil disorder, totalitarianism, massive social restructuring, econimic deppression all these and things that directly effect people and if your lucky only one or two of them will happen in your life time but they will each likely change your life forever.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I have asked people before why they don't care and the conclusion I have come to is that underneath it all, they are scared and feel like there is nothing they can do. Sure some really don't care, but many just can't handle the way knowing things makes them feel. Powerless. It's to upsetting so they focus on meaningless drama that that makes them feel like they have some control. After all voting for American idol makes you feel like your vote counts more than it does when voting for a politician.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join