It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animal abuser registry proposed in Michigan

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Like I stated earlier, I'm sure the will be some problems, heck, you can get put on the sex offender list for peeing in a public area, even if it is 3 am.

I would hope like posted above, Judges aren't going to find someone guilty because people keep their dogs outside on a chain, with a doghouse, plenty of food and water. That is just how some people raise their dogs. But if someone goes out and beats said dog, for barking, well, then there is a problem.

Unfortunately, we all know common sense doesn't apply much to the general public.

I still would like to see this pass.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I just went to this site that was posted on a comment from the newspaper article.
Put in your zip code and see all the animal abuse cases.

www.pet-abuse.com...

I 100% agree with this new state registry if the cases are actual abuse like the ones posted on this site.
Absolutely disgusting and people should be held accountable. Now that I'm awake, I can't see police wasting
their time on cases that are not really abuse.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

dogs outside on a chain

In Florida, this is already illegal if you keep them on a chain for longer than 2 hours or something like that.
It's been proven that dogs who are kept on a chain are more aggressive and most likely to attack.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Wow, really?
I grew up with our dog on a chain, all day while we were at school and only brought her in at night. She was the most lovable dog!

I do NOT do that now. We were kids and didn't know any better and that is just what we were told to do.

Just left my dog today, in his crate, in his own room, with the t.v. on. (he is still young and eats shoes like candy)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Thank you so much for that link, although my coworkers are going to wonder why I am crying at work.

Yes, people who commit these types of crimes should be on the registry. And in jail in my opinion. Some of those make me literally sick to my stomach.

What the hell is wrong with people?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
ok
re the biblical sense of the word abuse:
so the NDAA repealed the law criminalizing bestiality in the barracks
does this mean that in Michigan in order for a soldier to indulge one has to register first?

just kidding:
( sort of)

we all abuse animals in some way or benefit from someone elses' doing so:
keeping them in cages or fencing them in
or
using animals
to do mans' work
to eat them
( after making them eat their own kind that didn't make the slaughter house because they were downers)
to test crap on them
making them eat chinese melomine road kill
and even stuf like making them wear embarrasing hair cuts

it could all be construed as abuse to varying degrees

this sounds like just they just wanna list certain types of abuser to make themselves feel better about the abuse the are a party to
sanctimonious a little

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

At least your dog was brought in at night.
There's a horrible epidemic in Florida where people keep their dogs on chains 24/7 no matter what the weather. I think one of the main problems is the heat here. As the sun moves, the dogs can't get to where they're in the shade.

I'm sure your dog was friendly if it was brought in at night and was paid attention to. Some dogs (like my neighbor's) never get any attention. The only words it hears is its name and 'shut up'.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

to eat them

Nothing has to be abused before it becomes a meal.
There needs to be more free range farms.

In regards to the other things you mentioned, there's no excuse for abuse. Even working animals can be treated properly and given the nourishment necessary. Why anyone abuses something that helps them make money is beyond me.

Edit to Add: I hardly believe that animals suffer embarrassment from their haircuts. Have you ever watched a dog show? They really seem to know that they are there for winning and are proud of the way they look and handle themselves. I'm happy that the dog shows have finally relaxed their rules about spayed/neutered and ears cropped.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Its not hard to abuse an animal and if any one says they havent abused an animal sometime in their life is a bald face lie.

However , the torture of an animal i could get behind. That means some one who does extreme form of abuse such as fighting animals , killing the animal for the hell of it , strangling an animal , beating an animal constantly i mean its a weekly or daily occurence even monthly.

I have let a couple of dogs have a good wallop such as growling at company and snapping at my hand , i dont play those games. Funny thing is? They never have done it again. Only took one time. Was that animal abuse? Yup. Do i make a habit of it? Nope.

Only about when my dogs were a year or so old did i ever have the need to pop them one. They are 3 now are the best dogs in the world. Not a mean bone in their body. However , not sure how to break them out of the habit of chasing cars
, i have one who lost his leg to a car and is 3 legged that still chases them

edit on 20-3-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

This is one of those ideas that make you go, "Why didn't someone think of that sooner?!". It's a GREAT idea. And everyone who adopts an animal should be checked against it to make sure that they're not abusers.

Let's hope this goes through and other states follow suit.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yeah, this is a great idea! And while we're at it, we should also have a registry for convicted drug users. That way kids who get caught smoking pot can be forever branded for the rest of their lives! Oh! And another registry for people who've gotten traffic tickets! Gotta know if someone in your neighborhood is a bad driver! And we definitely need a registry for everyone who voted for Obama, that way we'll know who's to blame when we lost the last of our freedoms.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Speeding and smoking pot are victimless crimes.
Abusing animals is not.

Great viewpoints you got there.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Seriously, go troll somewhere else. Smoking pot (or drug usage in general) isn't the same thing as HURTING another living being. Neither is speeding. (Although it can be, my uncle sits in a wheelchair because of a speeder.)

Animal abuse is rife, especially dog fighting. This is proposed registrar is one thing I will get behind 100%.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
Yeah, this is a great idea! And while we're at it, we should also have a registry for convicted drug users. That way kids who get caught smoking pot can be forever branded for the rest of their lives! Oh! And another registry for people who've gotten traffic tickets! Gotta know if someone in your neighborhood is a bad driver! And we definitely need a registry for everyone who voted for Obama, that way we'll know who's to blame when we lost the last of our freedoms.

Except a high percentage of pot smokers/traffic offenders/Obama voters do not go on to commit violent crimes on their fellow humans-which those who are cruel to animals often do.

Many well known serial killers/rapists began their twisted path by being cruel to pets.

I say this register is a good idea-not only will it prevent cruelty to animals-it may actually save some people's lives down the road.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, I think there should be a nationwide law that owners of dogs and cats must spay or neuter their pet unless they are registered AKC for breeding purposes or medical reasons. I also think there should be more low cost spay/neuter clinics for those who have trouble paying for it.

Btw, I'm pretty sure I saw on that pet abuse site that someone was charged with not vaccinating their animals. That is not abuse to me.
edit on 20-3-2012 by virraszto because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

While I do agree with you.. Once ones time is up, the debt has been paid. The Sex Offender Registry IMO is far too reaching. Some crimes are included which should not be. At the same time, I believe people have a right to know that the person down the street is completely, likely, and capable of commiting a crime against them or their child. As it's been seen that sex crimes are heavily repeated offenses, as it often involves a pathology that has not yet been truly treated.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This is a horrible idea, the sex offender registry is a great example of how little registries actually do. It is just a way of making another government agency to suck up tax dollars and of course to add on another tax.
www.ncjrs.gov...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
Now that I think about it, I think there should be a nationwide law that owners of dogs and cats must spay or neuter their pet unless they are registered AKC for breeding purposes or medical reasons. I also think there should be more low cost spay/neuter clinics for those who have trouble paying for it.

AKC is just glorified animal torture, pure breeding dogs is now a form of abuse. A purebred dog is near guaranteed to have at least one MAJOR health problem. I don't see how some kid beating a dog is worse that perpetuating illness in a dog for personal pleasure and status.

www.yourpurebredpuppy.com...
Purebred dogs can have a lot of health problems.

Crippling bone and joint disorders
Eye diseases that cause reduced sight or total blindness
Heart diseases that drastically shorten a dog's life
Hormonal and endocrine system diseases like hypothyroidism and diabetes
Seizure disorders such as epilepsy
Skin diseases that cause frantic itching
Digestive disorders that cause chronic diarrhea and vomiting
Kidney and liver diseases
Blood-clotting diseases
Cancer – the number-one killer of many, many breeds

You're probably shocked
by that long list of health problems.
And you should be.

Over 300 genetic health problems occur in dogs – all kinds of dogs, purebred, crossbred, and mixed – but the risk of these health problems occurring in a purebred dog is higher than in a crossbreed or mixed breed.

edit on 20-3-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by Danbones

to eat them

Nothing has to be abused before it becomes a meal.
There needs to be more free range farms.

In regards to the other things you mentioned, there's no excuse for abuse. Even working animals can be treated properly and given the nourishment necessary. Why anyone abuses something that helps them make money is beyond me.

Edit to Add: I hardly believe that animals suffer embarrassment from their haircuts. Have you ever watched a dog show? They really seem to know that they are there for winning and are proud of the way they look and handle themselves. I'm happy that the dog shows have finally relaxed their rules about spayed/neutered and ears cropped.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

I was just reading about a farmer saying he slaughtered a cow and he thought the whole herd was sad for weeks

here for the uneducated:

These behaviors remind us that mother cows, like other animals, can be fiercely protective of their young. The bond between a cow and her calf is very strong and continues after the calf is fully grown. In non-commercial herds, some cows will nurse their calves for up to three years.

Cows are very social animals. They form large herds and just like people, they will bond to some herd members while avoiding others.

• They "moo" and use different body positions and facial expressions to communicate with each other

drbj.hubpages.com...

"working animals"?
working is when you get paid and get to retire some day

if it was you:
labor for food and board to be killed when you are past your prime:
would be slavery
I won't even get into how you would feel having to eat your own dead relatives mixed in with your grub when they din't come home alive from the vets ....
It's made of people!

edit on 20-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Not really. Employers can search databases, see you were arrested and decide not to hire. Registries only compound the problem even more. An entire corrupt, for profit system, designed to keep you in the system once you are in it. I would say that is paying for your crimes, after already paying the debt required to society.
edit on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:44:28 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join