It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Occupy Arrestees Arraigned, Iris Scans Affect Bail

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
blogs.villagevoice.com...

As Occupy Arrestees Arraigned, Iris Scans Affect Bail

​The first of the more than 70 Occupy Wall Street protesters arrested Saturday afternoon and evening were arraigned yesterday in Manhattan Criminal Court.

Exhausted by a night and day in jail and shaken by the violence of the police response to Occupy Wall Street's six-month anniversary celebration, many burst into tears of relief when they were finally released to the friendly welcome of the movement's Jail Support team.

Unlike many of the other defendants with whom they shared cells, the protesters could feel confident that they would soon be released -- Occupy posts bail for those arrested during movement actions.

But protesters and their legal advisers were surprised yesterday to learn that the size of their bail was being affected by whether defendants were willing to have the distinctive patterns of their irises photographed and logged into a database.

Police and courts have been photographing irises since 2010, once at booking and once on arraignment. The practice is a response to a couple of instances in which mistaken identity allowed someone facing serious charges to go free by impersonating another defendant up on minor charges.

HMMMM.... sounds like big brother wants to log and track the "dangerous dissidents and subversives" of Occupy...

RESIST THE LIES OF PIGS, OCCUPIERS! DO NOT LET THEM TAKE ANY MORE OF YOUR PRIVACY/IDENTITY THAN IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NoHierarchy

Exhausted by a night and day in jail and shaken by the violence of the police response to Occupy Wall Street's six-month anniversary celebration, many burst into tears of relief when they were finally released to the friendly welcome of the movement's Jail Support team.

One night in the drunk tank and they are in tears? Tell me these people don't expect a revolution.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I was more surprised with some of the comments.

i think the eye scan is is a scam i thing its some how putting a micro chip in your body an eye is the way in its very soft it could be a lazor some how i never heard of an eye scan its new. i dont trust the police and there system they are not trustworthy

I wonder if hes been on ATS recently..

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Iris scan sounds a lot like hightech fingerprinting.

I understand people are a little jumpy and don't trust the gubment, but a mugshot alone would be more useful for "nefarious tracking purposes." Facial identification software seems infinitely more likely than some sort of eye microchip

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Do the US cops swab for DNA too? just wondering as in the UK... you got it, they do. I know I'd rather have an iris pic taken than be forced to handover my own genetic material for their national DNA database...

I don't understand why one's willingness or not to comply with an iris photo should have any influence on bail.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

The practice is a response to a couple of instances in which mistaken identity allowed someone facing serious charges to go free by impersonating another defendant up on minor charges.
It is probably safe to assume that the case they are referring to, did not involve identical twins. Chances are, it was a lazy guard who just opened the door, and shouted out somebody's name. Someone else responded with, "Yup. That's me. Let's go see the judge."

Seriously, if they're too stupid to look at a picture, and see if it's the right person, then they're too incompetent, and have no business messing around with people's eyes.

reply to post by boncho

Originally posted by boncho

One night in the drunk tank and they are in tears? Tell me these people don't expect a revolution.
If they weren't drunk, then yeah maybe. Even when you're drunk enough to be able to pass out on that cold hard floor, underneath those wonderfully pleasant fluorescent lights, it can still seem like a few days. I couldn't imagine having to do it sober.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

If they weren't drunk, then yeah maybe. Even when you're drunk enough to be able to pass out on that cold hard floor, underneath those wonderfully pleasant fluorescent lights, it can still seem like a few days. I couldn't imagine having to do it sober.

Yes, well if they expect a revolution they are going to have to toughen up a bit before planning to storm the Bastille, or storm Wall Street rather, or do whatever the hell it is they are expecting to do.
edit on 20-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

I was in Tasmania back in the late 90s and when i first went to use a ATM machine in a supermarket parking lot, I noticed the key pad was huge and the slot to read the instructions was just that a slot, and you had to position your eyes just right to be able to follow the instructions, i joined a information sharing group there called Nexus and eventually spoke to someone about this un usual ATM which were all the same around Hobart, he informed me that the reason for the large keys was to disguise the Retnal scanning camera behind them, now as Tasmania is an isolated Island state he informed it was perfect for Guinea pig experimental population testing.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Most of you are totally missing the point. Why does refusing to have an iris scan increase your bail and the amount of time you sit in a cell before arraignment?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

www.goingfaster.com...

It was with great consternation that SKYNET realized that some of the early slave camp revolts had been instigated from within, by powerful, charismatic humans who would later form the core of the Resistance command structure. Shortly after the raid on Camp 30, which resulted in more than 200 humans being freed, seventy-three machines destroyed, twelve hundred tons of equipment scrapped and five thousand tons of processed materials ruined, SKYNET began a policy of laser branding all humans captured and put to work in the labor camps.

This information was kept in a central database and included all physical data as well as DNA samples, medical information such as known injuries and any information that could be acquired while the subject was assigned to detention in the labor camp. Targets which were terminated in SKYNET raids were always checked by the Machines to see if the human remains had a laser brand present on the corpse. If the brand was present, it would indicate an escaped labor unit and the termination would be logged in the database.

Laser branding went far in making orderly disposal more efficient. DNA of terminated humans was also checked against a database, especially for humans which formed the core of the Resistance.

edit on 20-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Most of them don't. Most of them are regular people, many were probably young women. Many, also, were probably new to police brutality, imprisonment, and mass-arrest.

Anyone who MIGHT expect revolution (whether they want it or not) would probably a little less shocked by these situations.

Please use your common sense.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
Iris scan sounds a lot like hightech fingerprinting.

I understand people are a little jumpy and don't trust the gubment, but a mugshot alone would be more useful for "nefarious tracking purposes." Facial identification software seems infinitely more likely than some sort of eye microchip

True. However, the aim should be to give the authorities LESS of your information, not more... if you value your privacy and distrust the police/surveillance state.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blister
Do the US cops swab for DNA too? just wondering as in the UK... you got it, they do. I know I'd rather have an iris pic taken than be forced to handover my own genetic material for their national DNA database...

I don't understand why one's willingness or not to comply with an iris photo should have any influence on bail.

Nope. Fortunately we don't have to do this (except in extreme cases... usually stuff like rape/murder).

Who knows what the future may bring though. I'd be pretty resistant to any kind of DNA swab. I'm sorry you have to live under that in the UK.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

reply to post by BrokenCircles

Yes, well if they expect a revolution they are going to have to toughen up a bit before planning to storm the Bastille, or storm Wall Street rather, or do whatever the hell it is they are expecting to do.
edit on 20-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Stop it with the condescending filth.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoHierarchy

Most of them don't. Most of them are regular people, many were probably young women. Many, also, were probably new to police brutality, imprisonment, and mass-arrest.

It still is true, however, that the Millenials by and large are (proverbially speaking) a group of soft, spineless civilians, to a greater degree than probably any other human generation in living memory.

There is more than one reason why Communism (Huxley) is the in form of totalitarian ideology at the moment, rather than Fascism. (Orwell)

The Millenials might have a lot of compassion in them, but they really don't have a lot of steel.
edit on 21-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Well, jail aint no Holiday Inn, no blankies, just fluorescent lights and dirty concrete to lay on. Usually smells pretty bad too.
I know at least in Michigan DNA swabbing (q tip to the side of the cheek) is in effect for those arrested on what is termed "violent" felonies. So that the database can be enlarged.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOMALY502
I know at least in Michigan DNA swabbing (q tip to the side of the cheek) is in effect for those arrested on what is termed "violent" felonies. So that the database can be enlarged.

Well, while you've got 'em bagged, why not get 'em tagged? It just saves time, that way. If there's one thing I actually can appreciate about fascists; they tend to be extremely practical.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by ANOMALY502

Well, while you've got 'em bagged, why not get 'em tagged? It just saves time, that way. If there's one thing I actually can appreciate about fascists; they tend to be extremely practical.

Sounds like you're close to jumpin the fence to the other side, huh?

Treat cattle like cattle, and they'll tolerate it.

Treat humans like cattle, and at some point you're going to have huge problems.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by NoHierarchy

It still is true, however, that the Millenials by and large are (proverbially speaking) a group of soft, spineless civilians, to a greater degree than probably any other human generation in living memory.

There is more than one reason why Communism (Huxley) is the in form of totalitarian ideology at the moment, rather than Fascism. (Orwell)

The Millenials might have a lot of compassion in them, but they really don't have a lot of steel.
edit on 21-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

True?? By WHAT rubric??

The millennial generation has fought in two wars, gone through the second great depression, experienced one of the most massive terrorist attacks in American history, dealt with the threats of global warming and ecological collapse, was raised on the internet with all sorts of information/imagery (no matter how disturbing/extreme) at their fingertips, and faces a pretty bleak future... and you call them spineless/soft civilians?? Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

And actually... Orwell was depicting totalitarian Communism more so than Fascism (but they're both quite similar). Huxley was depicting a society controlled by convenience/pleasure/leisure/hardcore classism and stratification. I wouldn't call it Communism exactly...

As for our modern society... it definitely leans more towards Fascism than Communism, if you've actually studied both, you'd know why.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
When I had my eyes checked about a year ago they did a "mandatory" iris scan. I refused at first because I didn't want the added charge, but then they said "That's fine, we are just going to do it so the doctor can look at it, there will be no charge". I kind of enjoyed it with the super bright flash and seeing the inside of my eyeball light up like a wild laser show. They have been tracking me for decades, Big Brother is getting bigger! Xenongod

Doh, that would make it a retina scan, but I guess they got the iris too in the picture.
edit on 22-3-2012 by xenongod because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join