It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historic March Heat Wave..... Smashing records

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Historic March Heat Wave Sets New Milestones

The March heat wave continues to shatter longstanding records from the Upper Midwest to the Northeast, with more than 2,200 warm temperature records set during the month so far. It’s quite possible that this March heat wave will be considered an unprecedented event in the U.S. historical record, which extends back to the late 19th century, based on the margin by which records are being exceeded, the wide geographic scope of the heat wave, the duration of the event and the time of year when it is occurring.

According to the HAMweather website, 1,192 record daytime highs were set in the U.S. from March 12-18, along with 708 high minimum temperature records....According to the CapitalClimate blog, so far this month warm weather records have been outpacing cold records by a lopsided ratio of 19-to-1. Since January 1, the ratio has been closer to 14-to-1.

check this out...

The weather pattern resulting in this heat wave is remarkably similar to ones that lead to prolonged periods of extreme heat during the summertime, with a huge dome of high pressure blocking the eastward movement of storms and cooler air off the Pacific. Some meteorologists are studying whether global warming is leading to more such “blocking patterns,” and there are some indications that this may be the case, although there is considerable uncertainty surrounding this question.

I dont have much to add, except it is damn hot and the sun feels much stronger than I ever remember it feeling around this time. It's the equivalent of a hot summer day!

The averages for my region (Toronto) for March are:
High: 2°C/37°F
Low: -3°C/26°F

IT'S CURRENTLY 23°C / 73°F!!!!

Some areas of Ontario have beaten their previous highest recorded temp. by more than 10°C!

Any ideas why all the heat? What's in store for our summer?

Is this why Monsanto is pushing its drought proof corn ?
Monsanto Drought Corn: Seed Giant to Test 'Industry's first ......'

Seed giant Monsanto Co. plans large-scale tests this year of the first government-approved biotech crop developed to deal with drought.

You think monsanto knows something we dont? Like the article mentions this weather pattern can mean an unusually hot summer, which could spell out droughts for North America. Anyone more informed please jump in.

------

Some more sources on the new corn. All of them are within the last week.
Monsanto Tests Biotech Corn Resitance to Drought
Monsanto tests drought-tolerant biotech corn
Monsanto's official site on up and comming developments
edit on 19-3-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Just got back from a run and it's almost 90 degrees here. I'm not used to sweating profusely in mid March. Something just doesn't feel right about it!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

The radiators in my building are still on since it was cold a couple of days ago, I'm going to hang my land lord.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm in the Northeast USA and it's common to have snow in March. It was 80 degrees today!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Well, March of 1945 was almost as warm as this one in SE Michigan.
I think we broke the record today of consecutive days in a row with temps over 60 degrees.

I'm trying now to see how the winter was for that year, to see if it was also warm.

I'm not ready to say this is any more than one of the El Nino.La Nina things.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
errr..... ever heard of global warming?

seroiusly you have to ask what is up with the weather? and god knows how many posts have been done on the subject
edit on 19-3-2012 by minor007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by minor007

It's a theory of course. But there are too many factors to just ignore other possibilities and accept an umbrella statement like 'duh its global warming'.

One thing is the fact our magnetic 'shield' has been getting weaker and weaker, allowing more of the suns energy onto the planet. As far as I've found out, human activity does not cause this.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

err a magnetic shield does not hinder the suns solar output onto the Earth. What it does hinder is charged particles which can cause radiation to hit the Earth making the planet sterile. Therefore a weakening magnetic field allows radiation to get through which will cause problems but it will not increase the temperature.

top topics

join