It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take A Little Trip to the Past (photos)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Hello my friends, I hope all is well with you.

Today I had the good fortune of receiving an e-mail of some very awesome photos. Perhaps being an artist made me appreciate them a bit more, but still, one really should have some bit of appreciation for the beauty captured in time.

Let me first get the disclaimers out of the way, for as I mentioned above, I received this PowerPoint presentation in an e-mail. There was really no link to finding the actual artist, which sadly, I would love to know whom it is. Not to mention, being able to give the credit where credit is due.Perhaps, this being ATS,someone will recognize their work, and be able to share with us who this fine photographer is.

I know for myself being an artist, to me,when I create a art piece I'm actually very thrilled anybody finds it intriguing at all. I really have to say, three quarters of the time I end up giving it all away.I mean my gosh someone sees it like I do even if it is in their own visual way. If I can share a little piece of beauty, or a little part of me, with someone who has enjoyed what I have created, then I just feel good in that pleasure.I'm guessing this photographer has passed on by now, but hopefully they may have felt the same way.

The whole thing about these pictures is that they took me through a little trip in time. Hopefully, you will enjoy them as well. I actually have a few, and I don't want to put all of them in one post, so I will add them in segments if you all seem to be enjoying this thread!

One of the things I found interesting about these photos, was not only the fact that I took a little trip back through time, but I could see the presence of the now.

Which brings us to why this is posted in the gray area forum. Not only do we have historical photos with proof of what was going on at the time, but our own eyes to see before us now how we have evolved.

So, first point for the gray area, "Time travel." We are here now, they were there than. We can see them, but they couldn't see us. They had dreams of the future, we have photos of the past.. Perhaps you'll feel yourself move through time as you see them.

For a second point, if you look closely at the first picture and the date, you will see something interesting in the sky. Look over the Indians right shoulder. More than likely as this is an old photo is probably safe to say the photo is just grainy. Or is it? So that leaves a possible UFO sighting, lol, or not, in a historical photo. I will leave that up to you to decide.

Well that's two points for the gray area, probably requires three, but the best I can do after this, is my own interpretation, which is probably a gray area all unto itself. As always, mods please feel free to properly place this.

At this point, this is all I can say. Here's my tribute to this fine unknown artist . Hopefully somewhere in the cosmos this fine photographer is looking down and seeing their photos did make their mark on time.I can assure you I am only here to share their work with my fellow members as I feel pretty strongly that they will appreciate it as much as I.

So here we are with the first picture which I mentioned above,"The Indian."I don't believe one could start off a historical trip through history without the Indian. not only is this a great shot but it seems to have some extras. Look over his right shoulder. Grainy picture, or???,,,

Since I made these photos smaller so that they would fit in this forum, I'm adding this picture below so that you can see what I was referring to as far as possible UFO.

I have also posted an 8 x 10 so that you can see the larger picture. You can find that here.8x10 photo LINK

Now that we've had our Indian it's only fair that we have the cowboy, and not only a cowboy, but one of bad guys! I myself can't say I've heard of this particular fellow,"Pat Crowe" as I have Jesse James and others, but to me it's still really a great shot.The fact that this was taken in 1919 is also pretty neat!. I'm guessing this must of been taken somewhere out West.

I myself am a very big Civil War buff. So you can imagine how I felt when I saw this great shot of the famous general William T Sherman taking in 1864. From what the photos says he was near Atlanta Georgia, so I guess it's pretty safe to say this was taken while he was on his infamous Shermans March through the South.

While we are here in the Civil War time I wanted to add this next picture taken in 1865 because I found it intriguing as well.As you can see by the caption it is a photo of federal troops at the Confederates winter quarters near Yorktown Virginia. Something tells me the Confederates have already left.I also found myself drawn to the big guy in the middle and wondering who he may be. I posted a zoom of him below as well.

The zoomed picture:

For our last picture in this series I thought I would post this picture taken in 1864 of a fortified railroad bridge Crossing the Cumberland River of Tennessee. I know we have members here from Tennessee and I thought they might appreciate it. Looking at this bridge makes me think of the days when Americans actually took pride in their work as that bridge looks pretty sturdy and well built.

Does anyone know if it's still there? It would be cool to see what it looks like now.

Well that's it for this series, I hope you enjoyed them as much as I have posting them for you. Please let me say again, if anyone knows who this photographer is please let me know so that I can give credit where credit is due.

As I said before I do have some more great pictures and if you're enjoying this thread I will post them as they will actually show a bit more of how we have evolved through time.

edit on 19/3/12 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
cool! I love old photos like these, especially indian ones

was there a civil war photo with troops posing with a dead pterodactyl?
edit on 19-3-2012 by LeLeu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Thanks for the reply. I love these old photos as well and I will be posting more of them later. I must say though, I didnt have any that resembled what you asked about. Have you seen one like that? Id be curious to see that myself.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Here you are, what do you think are they fake?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

WOW
Those are very interesting. Thanks for posting them up. I am no photo expert, but they are certainly impressive shots. Was there any caption or history of the pictures posted with wherever you got them from?

I really hope other members come along and give them a look over as well. I would love to hear what others think of them as far as being real or not. My feeling is that they are, but like I said, Im no expert. lol Afterall, I see a possible ufo in the indian picture!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
great photos of times gone by

about the "bird" pics i can point you in the direction of this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

both the pics posted on your thread are fake unfortunately (have a read thru the thread and it explains the reason they are fake) but im convinced there is a real pic out there due to so many people remembering they have seen it including me

S and F!

edit on 19-3-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: spelling

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

Glad you like the photos, as I have mentioned, I will be posting more. It might take me a little longer now to do since I forsee the link you added may take me a little time to wade through. Thank you for posting that up. I didn't realize there was so much on that subject here to read, though Im not surprised. ATS does seem to cover it all
Shame the "bird" photos are fake.... sigh

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Great vintage photos, please, keep them coming! I am fascinated with pictures from the past. Sometimes you can see their lives in their eyes, the soul can't hide. Thanks again!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

I also found myself drawn to the big guy in the middle and wondering who he may be.

I would bet money that is General Ambrose Everett Burnside. Not only was he a large man, he wore that type of facial hair, style hat, coat and boots, and he was in Virginia in 1865.

edit on 19-3-2012 by METACOMET because: img

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

im glad the thread interests you
theres a lot of members here who have put a lot of time and effort into looking for the pic.

looking forward to the other pics you have

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Part 2
I'm so happy you folks are enjoying these. It's nice to know there are others who enjoy these old photos as well.

As you can see this next photo below is of the US treasury currency wagon taken in Washington DC in 1904. At first glance it doesn't seem all that remarkable. But if you think about it, it is rather remarkable that they appear to be moving a huge safe with guards but no guns drawn. Can you imagine doing that in this day and age?

One more thing with this photo above it does appear that there may be a few of the Pinkerton guys around. Which leads us to our next photo, Mr. Allan Pinkerton himself.

It seems like times have always been tough for someone..This picture below was taken in New York in 1908 of a family getting evicted.

There are a lot of things I find intriguing about this next photo. Obviously as you can see it is a three horse team pulling a: fire truck in full stride in 1914. What I find curious about it is there is only one guy on the truck and what looks like a model T car in the background. I realize this photo was taken in Washington DC, but maybe this is what they were waiting on that night Chicago burned down... All and all another great picture

I will leave you with this last picture for this series.Can you imagine that fire engine and the last photo trying to get through this rush-hour traffic?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

I love ATS! I am not surprised at all that someone had a guess. I kept looking back and forth between the photos of yours and mine and you may very well be right. Though he does appear to be a bit younger perhaps in your photos. Thanks for posting them

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Fascinating pics 1H.
I love looking at old photos.

If you are into that kid of stuff you may well find something you like at this thread I just made:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Great photos! The Sherman pic reminded me of my roomie while in the service and we were at the messhall having breakfast when he bragged that he was a direct descendant of Gen. Stonewall Jackson.

I said “Cool! My 3X’s Great Grandfather was Gen. William T. Sherman.”

He got visibly angry, muttered something about [Bleeping] Yankee and left the table.

There was nothing I could do though as I was laughing so hard and trying to wipe the milk outta my nose.

Some people just cannot let go.

It is ironic though that two descendants of once opposing leaders end up in the same Army and as room mates.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Thank you so much for the awesome pics!

I have no idea if that old bridge is still in Nashville or not. I will do some research and try to find out.

E.T.A. Check this Link out.

Barnard, George N., 1819-1902, photographer
Seems to be the guy that took the pic.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

One more Edit
Google image of bridge

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

You Rock Doodle! I would give you a bunch of stars for finding all that you did

Im trying to see if I can find the one pic from above with the big guy in it to see if the other member had guessed correctly. Havent seen it yet, but Im still looking. What a awesome batch of pictures from that civil war time. Interesting that they guess that the bridge picture was taking during a battle.as it appears to look like it is just a quiet boring day... You have made me very happy.

eta: I forgot to mention a big thanks for finding the photographer

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I will try and hunt it down for you. For now take a look at This high res pic of him.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Nice pics, S&F for you. AHHH! Doodle19815 you beat me to it!!! Oh well, but I did find a page about the location of the bridge at bridgehunter.com... it even has a picture of the now hideous bridge. And a little info on John B. Hood at www.civilwar.org... . It would be cool indeed to see that bridge still up in Nashville. Maybe one day.

edit on 3/19/2012 by Tundra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Check out the American flag in it's waving glory, its amazing how they got the horses to stand still long enough to take that pic. But then again i am no expert in photography, so I don't know.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I have to say there seems to be very little information of the people on this picture anywhere. After looking at the picture Here and comparing to the high res Here blown up fullsize, I don't think we have the same man here, IMO.

The gentleman standing in that picture seems quite a bit heavier and is also wearing stars on his shoulder. Burnsides finally resigned on April 15, 1865, so if this really is "winter quarters" of '65 he wouldn't be wearing stars. I assume they didn't occupy this area in early '65 so I am leaning on it being late '65. (Please correct me if I am wrong, I am no war history buff at all.)

Good luck on your searches, someone may have to email the college that holds the original and ask them.

Check out these pics of Burnsides

top topics

<<   2 >>

join