It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compilation of Tweets from Journalists Beaten, Obstructed by NYPD in Zuccotti Raid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

The NYPD's brutality against Occupy Wall Street protesters last night was – as has been noted here and here – beyond the pale. That brutality extended, once again, to journalists on the scene as officers not only obstructed those wearing press passes, but beat them as well. Below is a narrative of a police force out of control, told through the Tweets of those journalists who were on the scene, journalists who transitioned from being observers to becoming victims. (Some of these Tweets I found in my own feed, and some of them were compiled by Ben Doernberg.)

Compilation-o f-Tweets-from-Journalists-Beaten-Obstructed-by-NYPD-in-Zuccotti-Raid

(link refuses to embed properly, sorry)

BBC Reporter Greg Palast:

Our photographer ZD Roberts beaten @OWS Zucotti Park by cops. Thrown to ground, hair grabbd, hit with clubs while yelling, I'M PRESS PRESS!

There's many more tweets at the link but I'm not going to copy paste the whole article...just one more that caught my eye...

New York Daily News beat reporter Ciare Trapasso:

Police are out of control shoving #ows protesters and reporters on the ground. Hurt my leg in the scuffle.

I wonder if Murdoch will fire her for that tweet or will we see less biased reporting from the New York Daily News? Doubtful that Murdoch gives enough of a damn to act in interests of his reporters.

So, why do I keep making these threads and posts about Occupy? Truthfully I do hope that opinions can be swayed, but that is secondary. First, I hope that people will take off their blinders and turn off the talking heads long enough to say, I don't like what these protesters stand for or what they say but this is America and they're free to do these things without being beaten, wrongfully arrested or infiltrated etc...Or in the very least stop justifying the encroaching police state just because you don't like someone(s).
edit on March 18th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: fixed URL

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I may as well post my thread about the NYC arrests here because its fitting and contains pictures of the event/arrests, www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18-3-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Thanks, I SF'd your thread earlier.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I watched it all last night on three different ustream live streams. The nypd used far more force than needed. The video of a marchers head being slammed into a window was rather clear. As well, an assault by nypd on two bagpipers from a St.Paddy's day band. A girl who elbowed an officer was brutally taken down and had her ribs crushed. She went into convulsions and they would not provide medical attention for close to ten minutes. I watched as the original zuccotti live streams re grouped with the other march at Union Square.

All in all, the protestors where once more sitting in circles and singing songs until a large formation of NYPD started to show up. Its only then that the fear instilled in us from birth starts to pump adrenaline and the standoffs become tense. I saw no disorder at zucotti other than the police. If singing and being human with your fellow humans is disorderly, Ill happily go to prison as I am guilty.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Sometimes I wish cops all had twitter accounts so we could get a little insight into their motives and orders.

I wish I could say this treatment by the organized crime-fighters was surprising sadly its only predictable what do you think you get when you Group highly trained and highly paranoid power hungry people together = abuse of power and since last year we have seen their hunger grow into what we are seeing today reporters and peaceful protestors being beaten and forced from public parks.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."*

Wake up peoples. Today, the police state fights OWS. When its your ideology, your beliefs that come under oppression, it may be far far too late to then say, "But this is America".

Voltaire is most often credited with the saying, but many believe that this is a widespread mistake, and that the quote was originally said by Ewelyn Beatrice Hall.

Source

edit on 3/18/2012 by Open2Truth because: quote code malfunction

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Just get a police scanner. There's actually an App for that

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The one thing that still upsets me is how freedom of press is no longer protected. No longer can we get up close to the arrests our friends, loved ones and family members. They barricade us away to keep the tears from being on camera. In my personal opinion, blocking press should be right up there with genocide. When you exile ideas and sides of a story, you change how history is written down. Those in control of the media spin, control the people.

Livestreams are the news of the future. But dont be fool hardy enough to believe in everything we see. (Syria and Lybia, possible psyops)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I watched some of the videos...the articles seem to be focusing on the one girl, Cecily McMillan.

And you can see from the video, and also statements by other people, that she was charging police lines and you can see her throw something at the police. The video is zoomed out too far...but if I had to guess I would say it was a stupid glitter bomb from the way she threw it. She could have also tried to rip her arm away from a police officer, or strike him. The camera is too far off to tell.

Then in the closer video, she clearly resists while 3-4 officers are trying to restrain her...only then is she slammed to the ground.

My question to people is, what do you want police to do?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Although i don't agree with the OWS protesters..I do believe that they have a right to PEACEFULLY protest. That means not doing vile things in front of or to others. That being said,the police are training the masses for the rule that is to come. We are living in a police state as we speak,the police are just now coming out with force. It will escalate !!! It is all in the plan.....Soon enough weapons will be brought to bear,on both sides.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Not illegaly detain people that are simply becoming riled up by police presence. Honestly, if police never showed up, the protest would have continued un abaited and peaceful. Like it originally was until the police showed up. Honestly, knowing a few people in those crowds, they sit down and link arms. The police can simply just wait them out. They cant go anywhere so when they become hungry, thirsty or nature calls, then they will be peacefully detained under their own accord. Thats how it should be.

EDIT: oops, forgot that NDAA their is no such thing as "illegal" detaining.
edit on 18-3-2012 by AaronWilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

Illegally detain???

The girl either threw something at them or took a swing at them. And there were also reports of her charging them.

So in your opinion...police officers should just sit there and allow that to happen???

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

You obviously didnt read my first post. I stated the women threw an elbow at NYPD. She did her thing and got repremanded, but three officers kneeling on a small build female's chest? I beleive in forcefull arrest for those not willing to go lightly, but to break ribs and deny medical attention are two different things.

Those sitting in the park with arms linked are not violent yet they still flip them on their stomachs and put knees on your neck and back. That in my opinion is a little much. As well, unless youve felt someone kneel on the back of your neck, you have no idea the pain. It can force some people to vomit.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The main article and title actually is focused on the journalists tweets and the brutality they suffered and witnessed. I posted the video of the incident with Cecily McMillan in Swills thread. Perhaps you can watch it and see if you still have some justification? I'm sure you can come up with something.

Do you have anything to say about reporters being thrown to the ground, yanked by the hair or punched?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

No, I have nothing to comment on those tweets because they don't show the whole story.

Some of those tweets are from cameraman or photographers....where are their videos and photographs of these things happening???

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

You seek both sides yet are unwilling to look for yourself.

Here, enjoy... Zucotti Park 17/12

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson

You seek both sides yet are unwilling to look for yourself.

Here, enjoy... Zucotti Park 17/12

What am I supposed to be looking at in these photos?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

You said you wanted both sides, these photos are mainly from independant photographers. Not occupy live streamers, just normal everyday press. I thought this is what you would have liked to see.

"where are their videos and photographs of these things happening???"

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson

You said you wanted both sides, these photos are mainly from independant photographers. Not occupy live streamers, just normal everyday press. I thought this is what you would have liked to see.

"where are their videos and photographs of these things happening???"

Yes, I don't see any police brutality in those photos.

I don't see the police not allowing a protest.

I see snapshots of people protesting, some getting arressted, and a group locking arms not complying with a request to leave the park after it has closed.

I'm still not seeing the evil poice officers.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Yes. Their not evil, just following orders. One thing many opposers of Occupy do not understand is most of us are not the ones yelling "F*** you pigs!" Those are the people that catch something happening on twitter and mosey their way down to the event. They are also the people that flee and re create marches when we get kettled in. Its not the officers or the protestors at fault, its how the system is set up. They follow orders, we get detained. Its that simple. But you are free to choose whichever side you wish or even proceed to create your own stance on the issue.

I myself know, I have never reached out at an officer, not once. Never would. But I have been detained for simply sitting on the ground when they came charging in. I will happily keep that ticket as a suvenoir of my younger days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join