It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vocal Fry. This Epidemic Need To Stop Now!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

A curious vocal pattern has crept into the speech of young adult women who speak American English: low, creaky vibrations, also called vocal fry. Pop singers, such as Britney Spears, slip vocal fry into their music as a way to reach low notes and add style. Now, a new study of young women in New York state shows that the same guttural vibration—once considered a speech disorder—has become a language fad
'Vocal Fry' Creeping Into U.S. Speech

You hear it at work, in public and on TV. Family and friends suffering an affliction that goes unnoticed to themselves. But you can't seem to ignore it anymore. It slowly eats away your soul till you scream, "can you talk like a normal human being"!!!!! Vocal Fry. Is it here to stay? Let us pray that it's not.

More research needs to be done to discover the origins of this disorder. If we can trace it's origins and identify the development stages, then perhaps we can eradicate the problem.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ThisToiletEarth

Is this not less of a disorder and more young people emulating their favourite pop stars etc? Or people in the 'in' crowds keeping up the pretence so as not to be different?

Peer pressure is a powerful thing. Even when it perpetuates behaviour that makes you look and sound like a fool.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Hahaha! I HATE that!

Nice user name btw. Gwar is a great band.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
HAHA! Oh man, now I have to show this post to my 17 year old daughter. She can't STAND the way so many girls her age talk, and calls it an inpediment. Now we have a word for it! Vocal fryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81

Is this not less of a disorder and more young people emulating their favourite pop stars etc? Or people in the 'in' crowds keeping up the pretence so as not to be different?

Peer pressure is a powerful thing. Even when it perpetuates behaviour that makes you look and sound like a fool.

Weird thing is, I hear it in more adults than youth. People in the workplace are doing this. Woman more than normal. I wonder if it's a tool to be more assertive or dominant.

@MzMorbid

Gwar Tonight!!!! Can't wait.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Perhaps your right. If this vocal fry is being used in the workplace it may be a way of differentiating yourself from the crowd. Thing is when it catches on everyone will be doing it, removing the reason for it in the first place. Yet like all good trends it will continue.

It does sound quite annoying. Why people would want to do it is beyond me?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Weird thing is, I hear it in more adults than youth. People in the workplace are doing this. Woman more than normal. I wonder if it's a tool to be more assertive or dominant.

This is not new and it actually has a name.
en.wikipedia.org...
abcnews.go.com...

It is actually more commonly diagnosed among performers. I actually should have been treated for it as well, but through my own means I ended it. It is simply a result of vocal fatigue. When you speak out of your natural vocal range you tax your vocal cords.

As for your theory-It is correct. We live in a male dominated society so it is natural for women to lower their voice in an attempt to mimic men. This is all done unconsciously. In order to nip the problem in the butt you have to consciously attempt to speak at a higher pitch. Many classical male singers actually sound effeminate to most people because they do this. It's to protect the voice from fatigue.

In short, sound from your diaphragm and not your chest if you speak for long periods of time.

And now, for your further education (and some lol's)

edit on 18-3-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

As soon as I hear some one using that tone. I usually shut them off thinking that they are a idiot.

Haven't been wrong yet.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

It's a disease young girls get in college from hanging out in dimly lit coffee shops.
Lol.. please don't give anyone money to find the origins of this "disorder."
Just send me the check.

It's just the hip way to talk. It's the hipster "talk like talking bores me and I don't care, bleeeh." epidemic.

Here is a great example of girls speaking with their vocal fry. It's from the Louie.

edit on 18-3-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I live in a college town and hear this on a daily basis! I CAN"T stand it!!!
Ugh, I just want to say "Do you know how stupid and empty headed you sound?" GAH!!
It really makes young girls sound ridiculous! As a mother to two girls, I am terrified they will come home speaking like this!

new topics

top topics

join