It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student To Sue Jimmy Johns Over E-Coli Infection.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Why can't people just take responsibility for their own actions. Yeah it sucks that this girl and others got sick but nobody forced them to go out and eat Jimmy Johns. In my opinion, if you go out and get food that you did not grow and process yourself then you are taking that risk yourself. When you eat at public food venues you don't know where that food has come from or the condition it has been kept in. But, sueing because you got sick from eating resteraunt food is rediculous.

When are people going to stop sueing others when things don't go their way?

www.freep.com...

EAST LANSING — A Lansing-area franchise of the Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches company is among several nationwide accused of infecting customers with E.coli from tainted clover sprouts.

The Jimmy John’s at 4790 South Hagadorn Road is named in a lawsuit by a Michigan State University student who tested positive for E.coli and was hospitalized for three days after eating a sandwich with sprouts from that location in February.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I think they should be responsible for the state of their food, but to take them to court over 3 days of sickness is stupid in my opinion. This is a matter that should be handled outside of court, maybe they will get free food there for a year

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

It's Jimmy Johns responsibility as an establishment to ensure their customers that they will not get sick whilst eating their food. Someone should have been attentive to the quality of the food. Maybe Jimmy John's will pay more attention after this. I for one will stay away from there for a while.

You do have a point, we all take a risk when eating food prepared by strangers.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I LOVE Jimmy Johns. Best sandwich franchise shop. Quiznos and Subway pale in comparison.

If you're paranoid about e coli, just don't choose any sandwich with sprouts. Which only account for 2 of their sandwiches.

As for that student suing, I think it depends on the situation. The student was hospitalized for 3 days. That's a lot of $$$ for students. Does he/she even have medical insurance? What if those 3 hospitalized days were critical for the student's job or class(es)? I do believe there's some justification for suing Jimmy Johns. But it should be for a reasonable amount. If the student sues for $2 million, then the student deserves a slap with a hard salami.

Jimmy Johns should take care with their quality of food. Look what happened to Jack In The Box two decades ago. People died.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
In my opinion, if you go out and get food that you did not grow and process yourself then you are taking that risk yourself.

Riiiight.

OP probably believes we should also let corporations pillage the environment, deny us reasonable benefits or pay us crap wages just because we're so grateful for jobs since we're not self-employed.

If Jimmy Johns hangs out a shingle to sell sammies then they are responsible for the food safety of the sammich. The student traded money for a meal, not money for the runs. I guess now we know why they call it Jimmy Johns.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
if that was a raw milk sale there would have been swat teams

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I agree that there is some responsibility by Jimmy Johns for the condition of their food, But does each store test every bag of sprouts they get, I doubt it. The company probably sent them bad sprouts. I agree that they could be charged to pay medical bills and any wages for time lost due to illness, but so many people sue for rediculous amounts for little things these days. And yes, if you eat in public, you are taking a risk.

OP probably believes we should also let corporations pillage the environment, deny us reasonable benefits or pay us crap wages just because we're so grateful for jobs since we're not self-employed.

Not sure where this is coming from, but OK, think what you want to. I just happened to be raised to be responsible for myself and my actions. I just don't like the fact that people sue over anything and everything these days because they want an easy ride in life. It would be different if someone died or was forever disabled, but all that happened was a few days of sickness and Jimmy Johns promtly pulled the product from their stores to alleviate the problem.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mulattorus

As a restaurant owner who sells sprouts in some dishes (along with dairy, cheese, and meat)...let me say very strongly that TEENAGERS AND TWENTY-SOMETHINGS are totally irresponsible when it comes to following proper guidelines...rotating, knowing when food is good or bad. I had an employee not realize the bleu cheese had gone bad because she had never had bleu cheese and just assumed that was its normal smell! I've caught some using the new turkey, leaving the old turkey to the side for later use, I assume???

They're clueless and immature (many, not all). It sucks, but you really do take a risk with corporate places because, unless they are REALLY busy and get lots of turn over, they may not be moving the product fast enough for the employees to know better. A small place like mine, where there is someone who takes pride in the product being sold, will have a prying eye over every shoulder that things are going right.

Jimmy Johns, as a national chain, which usually springs up next to college campuses, will be filled with employees from those campuses who have very little interest in their prep work and cleaning duties. I just had to let someone go who had started out at a Jimmy Johns. Thought his prior experience would be good for our place...but was totally wrong about that.

If, as a business owner, it's my responsiblity to make sure these kids are in line, it's also these chains' responsibility to make sure their franchisees are following standards as they fall under the umbrage of their brand.

top topics

join