It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leon Panetta wants to execute the soldier in the Afghanistan massacre

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOLCOTT
If the military or should I say the civilians allows this to happen it would be a travestry, again I do not support his actions and crime however, special circumstances deserve special treatment. I suggest we get someone from Gitmo, put a bag on his head, put him in front of the firing squad and have at it. Bury him and forget about it. Justice served.

Um, this is definitely not justice being served. You are suggesting that the needs and requirements of justice demand that we literally allow this man's actions to go entirely without scrutiny?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOLCOTT
As a former Special Ops veteran of both the Army and Navy I am quite concerned. War is at least traumatic and life changing. As I do not applaud nor approve of the actions this well decorated and career military man took. I do have compassion and a understanding for what made him snap. I find it hard to believe that the military would allow for his execution or even his imprisonment for life. He is in desperate need of pyschological help and should be treated with the diginity and respect his undevoted service requires. If the military or should I say the civilians allows this to happen it would be a travestry, again I do not support his actions and crime however, special circumstances deserve special treatment. I suggest we get someone from Gitmo, put a bag on his head, put him in front of the firing squad and have at it. Bury him and forget about it. Justice served. I also find it ironic how these muslim fanatics that have committed so many vile and cowardly acts, remember the execution of the civilain contractors and the decapitation as viewed on TV, now they want justice.

We cannot win this war or this police action, we cannot nor should not convert muslims to christain values. We should however protect ourselves and our interests, if they attack us in any manner we should act with swift and deadly action.

Special circumstances do not deserve special treatment. Special circumstances must be taken into consideration, but we cannot and should not have a system of justice which exists to exculpate every person indicted on the basis of their special circumstances. A system that would do so would be no system of justice at all. We allow exceptions where people have become so enraged and provoked that their violent acts are the same as what any reasonable person would have done, or allow those who are unable to form the mental intent required for violent acts to be found not guilty by reason of insanity, but we do not simply let these people walk free without any impeachment whatsoever. Even the man who finds his wife in bed with a lover and kills them both will still be guilty of voluntary manslaughter (1st Degree Manslaughter in most states). You can't make a special exception for every single person pleading their special circumstances.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
When you take young men and train them to be the most fearsome combat force on the planet, when they become a finely tuned killing machine, and then drop them down in the middle of a foreign land and place restrictions on their rules of engagement and change their job from soldier to humanitarian aid and nation building in a country that doesn't really want the "help", then this is what you get.

Leon needs to go on some patrols with his "employees". Do a little job shadow activity.

And hey Leon, if we weren't involved in this unconstitutional, undeclared war, this would not have happened.

Bring all of our troops home now and defend let our volunteers defend our own country.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by duality90

Let me further explain, As it was the Military that under direct orders compelled him to act or participate in those actions which in all probability caused him to commit such a horrible act, that we can all agree that no person from a civilized nation would commit. That being said, for those of you who have never had to face life or death, or those of you who have never been forced to take anothers life. The playing field is quite different. This is not a justification of his or the hundreds of others who have committed crimes on or off the battlefield, however you cannot treat them as a civilains that would not be just nor does it embody the spirit of our laws.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I have an observation here after watching the thread progress... We seem to have 3 groups. Those interested in Justice and seeing the truth come out. Those with a blood-lust so deep, handing him to the villagers to brutally torture and murder in the street is just fine...and finally, a group who seems to believe Afghanistan HAS a justice system to really speak of, in any form we'd recognize.

I just have one thing to note and I've been fascinated by this. Some of the same people across these pages who call for the mercy and tender treatment of cold blooded murderers in GItmo want to see THIS man killed by locals without a trial. When it comes to the enemy, it's special diets, the Red Cross and lawyers out the whazoo. When it comes to an American? It's damn the law and torpedoes. Full speed ahead and off with his head!

How does that work?? We want justice or we don't...that can't be a conditional thing if someone is remotely honest with themselves and everyone else. So... For each here.. Which is it? Are we a nation and society of law or is mob justice fine? IF Mob justice works for the killer of 16 Afghan civilians..then how does anyone figure there is SUCH a difference and exception in order for the murderers of hundreds in Gitmo?

Law or Anarchy..can't have it both ways. I'm for bringing this Soldier home to meet hit fate by firing squad...OR...meet his future in a mental health facility. Whichever the legal system determines best. Murder in a dirty Afghan street isn't among the options.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join