It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leon Panetta wants to execute the soldier in the Afghanistan massacre

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I have read that Leon Panetta is calling for the execution of the soldier who shot up the village in Afghanistan. I am completely enraged by this. This soldier apparently had already done two tours in Iraq and had suffered a brain injury during one of them. This policy they have now of redeploying these guys on multiple tours is inhuman and brutal to my thinking. In WW2 and Vietnam they went once and came home. Now they have to keep going back over and over again. Apparently the people in charge care nothing for their mental health or the effect it has on a person to be thrown right back into a traumatizing situation with hardly a chance to recover. And now they want to KILL this guy? For what? To appease the Afghans? I'm sorry they got murdered, but truthfully I'm more sorry for our guys and what our inhuman leaders are doing to them. It's just so unfair to call for execution for this guy. It just seems he's getting thrown under the bus for the crime of being driven mad by the way he's been treated. What do you think?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
U.N. sec def pannetta is just following orders. I am sure

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
new policy.

Panetta better be on the front line with a gun himself, next time.
Same with Obama or anyone else who wants war.

You better do it old, George Washington style and get your ass out there yourself before you send someone else's kids to fight.

If the wars were just there wouldn't be problem really.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I think now we know why he had the Marines disarm before his visit. He might have been fragged. That would have been such a shame.

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
yeah this poor poor soldier. nevermind the people he massacred, he's a good ol boy "defending" us from "terrorists".

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
It doesn't matter that it wasn't on US soil. If he massacred that many innocent women and children at home people would be calling for blood and he would be executed. People would be lining up at the court house and cheering as a death sentence was handed out. It's happened many times.

But I guess since it wasn't in a nearby neighborhood, it's different?

And the mental claim? Nice way to explain it all away.

To top it all off...a letter of apology was offered. A letter? Are you kidding me?

I don't call for the execution but I do call for fairness and equality. The execution just might simmer the tensions and it could be called collateral damage...sound familiar?

Peace

edit on 14-3-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
There is already a thread regarding the execution of this soldier.

Please add your comments or thoughts to that particular thread.

Thank You.

~Tenth
ATS Moderator

ETA:Well apparently I'm crazy and that particular thread has never existed...so this thread is re-opened and moved to the proper forum.

My bad.

Carry on.

edit on 3/14/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Okay, I'm missing where anyone has a problem with Panetta being for a Death Penalty prosecution as it may or may not fit under the UCMJ? Personally I'm finding it baffling that people call for the scalps of U.S. Soldiers if they burn a book or play sick head games with Iraqi VIP prisoners on the VIP cell block, but what is this? Folks are condeming the system looking real hard at doing something with this one?

Heck guys... at least it appears fair to say THIS one did it as outright murder. No question of combat confusion or fuzzy thinking here. What is a VALID question is how many more guys are close to breaking, how many officers need to answer for keeping them in the pressure cooker well after they're baked, and how soon we can get our men home to stop the damage from piling on.

This guy though? He absolutely must have his fair trial...and I don't care what Karzai wants. A fair trial is a NATO or U.S. Military trial. No one I'm related to or have known in the Armed Forces would go for this kind of horror, if all is factual as we are hearing it today. So..In a RARE CASE, I agree with Panetta. AFTER his fair trial and if the evidence shows guilt, then shoot him.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I agree he's a monster for killing so many women and children on purpose like that..

I think what the OP and others are trying to compare it too (and I quite agree if this is what they mean) that it's kinda like at home when a kid gets bullied, and bullied, and bullied then he snaps and murders a bunch of people.. we at least understand where his rage came from.

If this was a soldier who was on his first tour and snapped I would think there is seriously something wrong with that guy. After 3 tours and a head injury I can completely understand what possibly made him snap .. he probably built up an extreme resentment for the entire region.. you don't go through 3 tours without losing people close to you, probably destroyed his home life, !$@ with his head.. the military doesn't care though. To avoid a draft they just reuse soldiers till they crack and are useless.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
There is already a thread regarding the execution of this soldier.

Please add your comments or thoughts to that particular thread.

Thank You.

~Tenth
ATS Moderator

ETA:Well apparently I'm crazy and that particular thread has never existed...so this thread is re-opened and moved to the proper forum.

My bad.

Carry on.

edit on 3/14/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Tell me the secret to time travel 10^!

------------------------

Somesort of harsh punishment is needed, slap in the wrist ain't cutting it anymore, life sentence with no parole, actually even this is good compared to what the families of the dead is going to go through.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hillarie
I have read that Leon Panetta is calling for the execution of the soldier who shot up the village in Afghanistan. I am completely enraged by this. This soldier apparently had already done two tours in Iraq and had suffered a brain injury during one of them. This policy they have now of redeploying these guys on multiple tours is inhuman and brutal to my thinking. In WW2 and Vietnam they went once and came home. Now they have to keep going back over and over again. Apparently the people in charge care nothing for their mental health or the effect it has on a person to be thrown right back into a traumatizing situation with hardly a chance to recover. And now they want to KILL this guy? For what? To appease the Afghans? I'm sorry they got murdered, but truthfully I'm more sorry for our guys and what our inhuman leaders are doing to them. It's just so unfair to call for execution for this guy. It just seems he's getting thrown under the bus for the crime of being driven mad by the way he's been treated. What do you think?

The man (possibly with others, according to original reports) walked into this village, invaded civilian homes, and then shot children in the face in front of their parents. This wasn't a man "snapping" from pressure in a spontaneous outburst.

There is rage and then there is dementedly evil.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hardstepah

Obviously you have never been there. Sometimes the things we see make us do things that we would not have done before.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I wonder how many here have posted against the death penalty for the Ft. Hood shooter?

Hmmm. . . . . . .

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by InvalidUser404

Do we give leniancy to the murderer because his dad beat him?

Do we go easy on the rapist because his priest touched him?

How these people get to this point is almost always a sad story. It doesn't lessen the absolute evil that they carry out.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
How can you judge someone in a warzone for killing people?

Oh you don't want death in a war zone?

Then lobby to bring them back home.

You have no idea what they go through.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

If you haven't noticed, the ones crying for his death are the same ones crying for them to come home.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

A war zone is not in the homes of unarmed women and children.

And that's the judgement.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Surely it's up to the Afghanistan criminal justice system to determine what punishment this soldier should receive?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Hillarie

Everyting I have seen only discusses the incident and the possibility the soldier could face the death penalty, depending on the outcome of the investigation. Can you link to a source that states he wants to the see soldier executed?

The reason I ask is if Panetta stated what you are saying, then he is violating the UCMJ with unlawful command influence.
edit on 15-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I believe the Secretary just stated the death penalty was a consideration. The soldier was just flown out yesterday to another country. I don't even think there is a verdict. He's probably still undergoing investigation, and a serious psychological one at that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join