It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Biology Marries Physics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Researchers implanted tiny biofuel cells in snails to capture electric power from their blood, generated in metabolism. Kinda reminds me of that big scene in The Matrix.

Snails with implanted electrodes generate electricity via metabolism.

Researchers at Clarkson University in Potsdam, New York, have implanted snails with tiny biofuel cells that capture electrical power from the snail’s blood. The electrified snail munches on carrots while the device extracts power from glucose and oxygen in the snail’s blood, producing a steady trickle of electricity for months.

“The animals are quite fit — they eat, drink, and crawl. We take care to keep them alive and happy,” senior author Evgeny Katz told Nature. The research was published last week in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.

edit on 14/3/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I think this is immoral.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
I think this is immoral.

And a nifty high school experiment, on par with the potato lamp.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I think this is immoral.

Why? Could you explain your positioning on this a bit please?

I take the opposite view - this potentially has long reaching conclusions, such as portable fuel cells for people, etc.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

They don't marry; they 'shack-up'!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

...this potentially has long reaching conclusions, such as portable fuel cells for people, etc.

I take it you haven't seen The Matrix? ...The ruling machines used humans as fuel cells to operate their "civilization." Point being, it wasn't an allegory or metaphor; it was -and is- physically possible. And I think, far more likely that rulers would use a human sub-class to generate electricity than to provide individuals with the means to make themselves more independent.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

But the Matrix is a film. It isn't real.

Every new scientific discovery has the potential to be subverted - that in itself is no reason not to pursue new technologies. If it was, we would still be sat in caves beating each other with animal bones.

I love it when science comes along with discoveries like this. Sure, it could be used negatively. Equally, and more likely (to me at least), it has the potential to provide massive benefits to humanity.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I love it when science comes along with discoveries like this. Sure, it could be used negatively. Equally, and more likely (to me at least), it has the potential to provide massive benefits to humanity.

I love it too - and like you, tend to the Pollyanna perspective. Not to mention, we really need an alternative to combustion and this might take us there. But.

Maybe we should define humanity? ...'Cuz the potential for abuse does loom large. And we're definitely being prepped with non-stop talk of overpopulation and references to "inherent genetic weakness and susceptibility cum inferiority."

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I once read (not sure where or, tbh, even if it was a particularly reliable source) that humans are the most abundant power source on the planet - if we could somehow harness this energy we could provide all of our energy needs.

Mind you, with such a spurious claim as that, i would welcome some debunking!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

I think this is immoral.

I take the opposite view - this potentially has long reaching conclusions, such as portable fuel cells for people, etc.

How would you like it if I used you for energy generation as part of one of my science projects?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This could solve my problem of my aquarium eating too much electricity I'll just power the lights of of my snails

It seriously could have some use powering small equipment though.
So how long before monsanto or so either biotech company tries to make something like this in an attempt to make billions

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
For centuries we have been used as capacitors, storing energy till the TPTB closed the switch to release our energy for their deeds. Usually, this takes the form of a negative energy release from the build up of fear and disconnect from our inner power source. Now, we are being guided to work around their systems and act like the solar battery to do work in the now moment for all of humanity.

Don't flame, this came to me while reading the post.I added onto.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I once read ...humans are the most abundant power source on the planet - if we could somehow harness this energy we could provide all of our energy needs.

Go ahead. Feed my paranoia.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I think this is immoral.

How would you like it if I used you for energy generation as part of one of my science projects?

How would you like it if I slaughtered you, trimmed away the fat, and shrink wrapped you before putting you on the shelf at a supermarket?

Do you eat meat?

How would you like it if, while you were minding your own business, and just veggin' around, I came and mercilessly pulled you from the ground.. ripping your roots in the process. All this before cleaning you, scraping your skin off and boiling you!

Do you eat veggies?

Point is - anthropomorphizing something does not a good argument make.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by Flavian

I once read ...humans are the most abundant power source on the planet - if we could somehow harness this energy we could provide all of our energy needs.

Go ahead. Feed my paranoia.

From my personal observations, it appears that we would have to create a device that harnesses energy from FAT!!!!!

FAT PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!!!!

They could eat, or wear, or implant a device which directly converted their FAT into potential chemical energy (battery).

It would be like the more unhealthy you ate, the bigger or a commodity you would be in the eyes of the nationwide power grid. You'd probably end up dropping your batteries off at the local triglycerritorium where you would be paid a nominal sum for each unit of energy produced.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I think this is immoral.

I probably wouldn't be able to care, because I'm a snail. However, I'd be "quite fit — alive and happy”, which is all I'd be able to comprehend anyway. A moral dilemma would never even cross my mind. And as an added bonus I wouldn't be in constant danger of being snatched by a bird and mercilessly consumed.
edit on 14-3-2012 by famalhut because: (no reason given)

top topics

join