It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Time with Bill Maher: Voters In Mississippi

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
Here is the problem.

You try to justify making choices for these people instead of letting them make their own.

Sure, their views may not align with your own. You might not agree with their aged beliefs and some of their ignorant or more racist views, and that is fine, neither do I. But what I can agree with is the statement that in the old times people used to get up off their butts, work, and didn't have to worry about government giving them a leg up.

Are they stupid because they don't want government intrusion in their lives or because they believe in a higher power?

I just don't get it. You act like they need saving. They don't. Do they bother you? Do they come to your door and force you to believe in their views? Some try, but most of them don't. They keep to themselves. And so should we.

Why does everyone care so much about what their fellow man does or doesn't believe in? Isn't freedom the idea that we are allowed to believe in whatever the hell we want without being ridiculed a reprimanded for it? Without being forced into an idea of slavery because our ideas don't fit in with the norm?

Apparently not anymore.

Great point!

We should shut off the supply of food-stamps to that toothless guy so he can get up off his ass and get some stuff done! Then the government won't be intruding on his choices!

I'm not attacking your views or statements. I agree with your post and also, don't subscribe to the fascination people seem to have with everyone else. I guess that simply proves why reality TV is so popular - especially shows where highly-regarded people falter. The audience sucks that # up.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I got stuck living in Alabama for 9 years. I know certain kinds of people exist.
To take Bill Maher seriously, he'd have to do an inner-city video about O-bots
in order to balance it out. .

Notes on the video ...
An old southern white guy doesn't like Obama because of his last name. Okay. He's old. Different generation. Lack of education. There are old black people who hate white people. It happens. Then a guy wearing a 'I'm white and proud' shirt. Okay .. Obama went to a blame-all-white-people black liberation theology cult for 20 years. Same thing? Is one worse than the other? The 'reporter' continually interjecting that these yahoos were tied to their religious beliefs .. Of course Maher would lap that up. More than Insinuation that poor white Christian trash are stupid and vote stupid. The 'reporter' is probably set with a job for life.

I'm sure you could find the exact same thing on the flipside ... Uneducated racist poor yahoos of color in the inner city who voted for Obama simply because he's black ... exactly the same as the uneducated racist poor white yahoo who wouldn't vote for him because of his name

Do the demographics support a higher percentage of uneducated racist poor innercity people voting for Obama because he's black ... or a higher percentage of uneducated racist poor Christian southerners voting against Obama?? Those voters probably balance each other out.

Originally posted by David9176
God forbid you bring it up on ATS....automatically accused of the race card.

That's because people here DO play the race card .. unendingly ... over and over when it doesn't belong. For some of the people in the video it obviously DOES belong in the conversation. But when people here are discussing the fact that Obama is a liar and corrupt just like every other politician, there is always some yutz who will interject - 'you people just don't like a black man as president'.
BAM .. race card played where it doesn't belong. And by people doing that, it just makes it more difficult to discuss when there is real racism.

CASE IN POINT - :shk:

Originally posted by Annee
The Birther agenda is as racist as you can get.

edit on 3/14/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
don't need no stinkin gubberment.
the point is missed here - just a bunch of po white guys standing up for what they believe.
"freedom is tolerance." Dr. Ron Paul
maharhar (another billoinaire) is poking fun a bunch of po folk - tsk tsk billie boy.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I have to say that this is not any different than the Obama "free houses and food stamp" folks. Unfortunately you cannot expect most people to be intelligent!

I recent polls in Alabama and Mississippi, a majority of people thought Obama was Muslim! But a poll in 2008 showed that a majority of conservatives in my home state of Iowa thought the same thing!

So this is not about southern ignorance. This is about a lack of common sense and intelligence within the Republican party and the conservative movement.

Side note: I am a registered republican.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibajaba
don't need no stinkin gubberment.
the point is missed here - just a bunch of po white guys standing up for what they believe.
"freedom is tolerance." Dr. Ron Paul
maharhar (another billoinaire) is poking fun a bunch of po folk - tsk tsk billie boy.

Bill Maher's bio - not born wealthy - - - seems kind of typical middle class to me. Started his career as a standup comedian. Lot's of failed standup comedians out there.

Guess Bill worked hard to get where he is today. The American Dream - - available to anyone.

Maher was born in New York City, the son of Julie (born Berman), a nurse, and William Maher, Sr., a network news editor and radio announcer.[6] He was raised in his Irish American father's Catholic religion, remaining unaware that his mother was Jewish until his early teenage years. Maher's family stopped attending church services when Maher was thirteen, due to his father's disagreement with the Catholic Church's position on birth control.

Maher was raised in River Vale, New Jersey, and graduated from Pascack Hills High School in Montvale in 1974. He received a B.A. in English and history from Cornell University in 1978.[

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
CASE IN POINT - :shk:

The Birther agenda is as racist as you can get.

I absolutely believe 100% the Birther agenda began in racism.

And anti-Islam - - because of his Islam sounding name.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

First of all Bill Maher isn't funny or intelligent. He is absolutely disgusting. In my personal opinion I have to question the mentality of people who watch him. Secondly he says that it wasn't hand picked? Mississippi has the largest percent of blacks in the US. The last census says 38%. There is also a large percentage of Hispanics. Where were they? On top of that he made the joke about toothless people elsewhere. There is nothing funny about a health condition most of which can not be avoided. It is not funny that the price of dentures are so outlandish that the majority of people without insurance can not afford them. 10 dollars of plastic and thousands of dollars to purchase a set. A health condition and low income does not make someone a joke. Only to people with his set of no values.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I agree Annee, but let's not forget that the entire Birther issue began with Hillary Clinton supporters. The Right just took it to the next level of ignorance!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
In this time and place, it's considered humor to make fun of rural conservative southerner's, as long as they are white.

He could have done the same thing with Southern African Americans and asked them why they vote liberal Democratic and the results would be similar except then he would be branded a racist.

You could go to San Francisco and query the liberals of the city as to why they support Obama and it could also be funny as long as you don't cross the color line.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
In this time and place, it's considered humor to make fun of rural conservative southerner's, as long as they are white.

I live near Hollywood.

Have you ever made reference to Liberal Hollywood or Wacko California?

Satire of stereotypes is not limited.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I live in Arizona.

You might as well pick up Arizona and place it right smack in Mississippi.

The next person that says race is not an issue with Obama - - needs a reality check. Of course it is an issue.

As is his Islamic sounding name.

Enough with Ostrich mentality.

You are soooo right.
When it comes to Obama and his obamabots race IS the issue and they never miss an opp to dig the hole and grab a shovel. And as with most topics you lose me with the ostrich mentality claim.
I'll be willing to bet you still think that ostrich bury their heads in the sand, right? ROFL.
jUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER misconceptions you ride into town on.
They are simply misconceptions, like entitlements.
There are no entitlements, only political bribes to the uninformed.
Ostrich mentality, rofl.
Does that mean that people are heavy breeders, need multiple breeding mates, have the power to kill an adult lion with one kick, and can run like the wind? Or that they are relatively silent and run in herds? Or that they share in chick rearing and both male and female brood? What? lol

Or that the relative intelligence in Arizona is negligent due to beliefs in old wives tales rather than facts and real events?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by Annee

I agree Annee, but let's not forget that the entire Birther issue began with Hillary Clinton supporters. The Right just took it to the next level of ignorance!

So I've heard - - political slander during campaign season - - anything to discredit your opponent.

The racism and anti-Islam was always there - - looking for any "vehicle" they could as a cover-up for what its really about.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Well hot dang!

WE HAVE FOUND SANTORUM'S BASE!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
Here is the problem.

You try to justify making choices for these people instead of letting them make their own.

Not at all...I'm just sad for them because they have been guilted into or lied into voting directly against their own well being.

Sure, their views may not align with your own. You might not agree with their aged beliefs and some of their ignorant or more racist views, and that is fine, neither do I. But what I can agree with is the statement that in the old times people used to get up off their butts, work, and didn't have to worry about government giving them a leg up.

But don't you understand that the people making these statements are recieving government aid???

Are they stupid because they don't want government intrusion in their lives or because they believe in a higher power?

I just don't get it. You act like they need saving. They don't. Do they bother you? Do they come to your door and force you to believe in their views? Some try, but most of them don't. They keep to themselves. And so should we.

They are kind of stupid for recieving aid because they desperatly need it....and then voting against it.

I have no interest in "saving" them...I just wish they would realize that Obama or the democrats aren't responsible for their state being the poorest in the country...it is the fault of the people they keep voting into office...the GOP.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

Bill Maher is a comedic genius.

He's not afraid to say it like it is.

That's the kind of man I want to shake hands with. Someone who gets it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Maher is losing his audience and his show... he stated that obama can lose the election and is trying the whole "shock" thing... however, he sucks at it... So its backfiring....

Just like the fluck thing its blowing up in Maher's face and its exciting!

abcnews.go.com... 12/03/womens-group-presses-obama-on-limbaughmaher-double-standard/

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
Maher is losing his audience and his show... he stated that obama can lose the election and is trying the whole "shock" thing... however, he sucks at it... So its backfiring....

I doubt you have any facts to back up Maher losing his audience and his show.

Shocking! Bill Maher crossing lines of controversy.

I'm at a loss to what point you are trying to make with your ABC link.
edit on 14-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by redrose123

Bill Maher is a comedic genius.

He's not afraid to say it like it is.

That's the kind of man I want to shake hands with. Someone who gets it.

Yep.

I get it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by homeskillet

Now why do I have a problem believing that?

Some very careful editing of anything even resembling opinion going against the stereotype he wanted portrayed was undoubtedly done. Or, they ignored anything that didn't play up the stereotype.

Either way, hardly indicative of the majority of Mississippians.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I've been in a lot of states and I must say, most people I've met in mid southern states we're close to brain dead, kinda like people in this video.

Although I don't like racism or prejudice, I really do feel like most conservative are in fact more religious and less educated than liberals. Of course, they're are amazingly stupid liberals and some very smart conservatives.

I don't see how we will ever get rid of all the friction between those 2 sides of thinking, only temporary compromise.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join