It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Archaeological Society open Field School (June)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
This year's field school (which is open to everyone -- adults and families. No degree needed, just a willingness to come walk and dig and learn) is going to be in the Del Rio area along the Devil's River, one of the most pristine rivers in America. The land in question hasn't really been explored (or looted) by artifact hunters and so this is a chance to get in on the investigation of a new site.

Investigations will focus on the south unit of Devils River State Natural Area, a new state park that is not yet open to the public. TAS members will help to identify the most significant sites on this property, so that the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) can protect them before the park opens to the public in 2013.

TAS field schools are lots of fun! You will be expected to provide your own lodging (hotel or camping) and since it's June in Texas, you'd best be prepared for heat/bugs/sunshine/rain/cold/wind/lightning/tornados and all the other amazing things that we have in the south of Texas. Some meals will be provided at a minimal cost. Blisters are free of charge. The Devil's River is close to Del Rio, one of my favorite towns, and close to the White Shaman, Bonfire Shelter, Halo Shelter, Curly Tail Panther site, and Seminole Canyon State Park. It's also close to the Shumla Rock Art Foundation. It's close to Langtry (of Judge Roy Bean fame) -- but ol' Roy didn't do much rock art. Also got some good birding -- and the desert is beautiful.

Right. You can tell where MY interests lie, can't you?

So... ever want to get involved with archaeology? Find out how it's really done? June 9th-16th is your chance! Cost is $90 for 3 days (your meals and lodging are extra), $120 for a week.

(no, I'm not a lead researcher or a team lead or anything. I don't often get a chance to go to these, but am looking forward to heading down there if I can.)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

That's awsome byrd, wish my job afforded me the time to volunteer for such a thing. Last year I looked for a volunteer spot on a dig, but could nor find anything within several hundred miles

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Oh man, I really want to go to this. Too bad the area is a bit too far from me to manage. (The price looks very good also).

Im up near the DFW area and if I did go on a dig adventure, it would definantly be a life experience. Plus I think it would help a bit with my college stuff to. Im not studying Archaeology, but I am hoping to make it in a science field at the moment.

So happy I can find stuff like this on ATS! Hopefully one day I'll find something like this in my area.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm from DFW, myself. It's only a 5-6 hour drive there (I'm so Texan that it ain't "far and snaky" until we get about 11 hours into the drive -- but actually a 2 day trip for rock art ain't "far and snaky." For rock art, I'd do a multiday trip.) We'll stay at a Del Rio hotel (Internet! World of Warcraft!) if we can go.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Man why dont we have those around here? I'd be there in a heartbeat. Cheap too. One could easily spend that in a single night of drinking
Do they have room for a photographer on these digs or do you have to shovel dirt?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
This year's field school (which is open to everyone -- adults and families. No degree needed, just a willingness to come walk and dig and learn)...

Wish we had such a program in Ontario. I'm trying to find some public archaeology, and right now I'm just about down to arm twisting!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Thanks, very interesting Byrd. I'll be in Ft. Sill Oklahoma during that time frame, nearly close enough for a sortie!

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

If you decide to come have an adventure, let me know and I'll put you in touch with folks so you can present your CV. It'd be great fun to have you there!

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Man why dont we have those around here? I'd be there in a heartbeat. Cheap too. One could easily spend that in a single night of drinking
Do they have room for a photographer on these digs or do you have to shovel dirt?

There's a number of things you can do -- people of all fitness levels welcome. You can join me and hike through the mesquite on survey (although I may be joining the "climb up the canyon walls" team) or stay and clean stuff or put it together or help GPS or whatever.

This one's not a "shovel dirt" field school (they do have those) -- it's a preliminary site survey (which is REALLY cool because it's a "first look" at the place!)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I'll know more once more coordination is done for the FAS reunion, thanks for the invite
edit on 12/3/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

top topics

join