It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You taste what you see: Organic labels favorably bias taste perceptions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

You taste what you see: Organic labels favorably bias taste perceptions

www.fasebj.org

Participants (n = 144, mean age = 34.9) were presented with a pair of cookies, chips, and yogurt cups, one labeled ‘organic,’ the other not labeled ‘organic,’ (although all foods were in fact organically produced) and were asked to taste and evaluate each pair of foods using sensory, nutrition, and value-related measures. As expected, foods labeled organic were estimated to be significantly lower in calories and evoked a higher willingness to pay than foods without the organic label, across all three items (ps

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think the implications of this are wider than just organic food - if you are already in favour of something then your perceptions are biased in favour of that something.

I hasten to add that this does NOT mean that organic food (or a favoured "something") is not better, or is worse, or anything else - it is just a confirmation that we tend to have in-built rose-tinted glasses whenever we evaluate something that we are already in favour of.

www.fasebj.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Unless my steak is made of plastic, ALL food is organic.

Now, some foods are rife with preservatives and artificial flavoring/coloring, but they are still organic.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

So is this why everything labelled "all natural" still tastes like crap? I bet I know who funded this study
edit on 8-3-2012 by Monsatan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The study is not an accurate representation of what people actually believe.

I would tend to think they chose the organic more to fall in line with the test scenario. You cannot fool your taste buds.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
144 people as a sample, same as all the womens cosmetics adds - just enough stats to make it technically pass muster but so small that a few people can really make a difference espically if the steaks are not quite cooked the same etc so that people will vote one way or the other

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Speaking of bias:
The Federation For American Societies for Experimental Biology -
"experimental biology"
Sounds like some friends of Monsanto and Eli Lilly *, so of course this biased and weak study shows support for indifference to organic taste.
How bout some good ole peer reviewed and double blind studies?

Perhaps the taste is not as important as just knowing the product has not been saturated with chemical pesticides/fertilizer.
Even with some uncertainty, if I had a child, I would try to supply more organic food than not, but that's me, how do you feel about that, if you had a baby?

ETA: Doing a little research, it does seem people find it hard to distinguish,( I'll eat my crow organically please) but like I said, the taste is only part of the issue, and bias is still bias.
I would have to see some better tests to determine how well people could taste any difference. The few I found were very casual and done by opponents of organic industry.
edit on 8-3-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
People who eat organics do so to avoid the CHEMICALS, its got nothing to do with the taste.

Two strawberries in front of your child. Both identical. One covered in pesticides insecticides and chemical fertiliser. The other grown organicly without chemicals. Which would you prefer your child to eat?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
144 people as a sample, same as all the womens cosmetics adds - just enough stats to make it technically pass muster but so small that a few people can really make a difference espically if the steaks are not quite cooked the same etc so that people will vote one way or the other

Seems like they were just biased by the organic label alone and not the taste. If they tasted similar or exactly the same why wouldn't a person choose the organic just based on the organic label alone?

Why do people pay twice as much for a pair of jeans or sneakers based on the label?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
i worked as a organic produce manager for 3 years. Taste wise chemical seems to taste better on certain fruits. And organic will always be full of bugs.

But in the end whats the point of eating organic, you are avoiding the inevitable. Look at Japan and how much radiation has been spread around from just that one event. Imagine what else you dont know about.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

It's part of the great Liberal "Green" scam. Put "organic" on it or "green" on it and you can charge an outrageous premium.

Just last week while cooking dinner I was using something labeled "organic", and while waiting for the oven to heat I was reading the package. Apparently being "Organic" didn't stop them from adding a crap ton of chemicals.. but since the essence of the food was derived from a real plant that was not GMO it must be organic.

I've seen the same thing on milk as well.. "Organic" simply meaning a lack of hormones, or foods claiming to be organic yet have additives, colorings, and preservatives.

Hopefully I'll have my greenhouse built by next winter so I can get by without having to go to the store for my daily dose of poisons..

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

without knowing the exact details of the 'trial' its hard to know how exact the difference between the trials is even down to "now thats the non-organic products so we'll start with the organic ones now" accidentally (cough) spoken in range of the testers

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is like placebo's where you think its working and therefor it is working.
Organic labels are used to get the consumer to pay more money and they feel good about it.
It is very difficult to proof that things are made organic.

The food can be produced with the best intentions but if you are using tap water that has fluoride in it how can you say it is organic.
It would be better if you can proof from cradle to grave that your item is organic produced.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher

Originally posted by Maxatoria

Seems like they were just biased by the organic label alone and not the taste. If they tasted similar or exactly the same why wouldn't a person choose the organic just based on the organic label alone?

Why do people pay twice as much for a pair of jeans or sneakers based on the label?

Thank god someone got the point!!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
People who eat organics do so to avoid the CHEMICALS, its got nothing to do with the taste.

Two strawberries in front of your child. Both identical. One covered in pesticides insecticides and chemical fertiliser. The other grown organicly without chemicals. Which would you prefer your child to eat?

Yes I agree - I grow my own organic produce for exactly the same reasons you speak of.
Sure Aspartame tastes good and is addictive yet if you know
Aspartame is actually excrement of genetically modified E. coli, and changed its name to AminoSweet

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Going organic is not about "buying a few thing that are labeled organic"

Its a way of life. We eat ONLY organic food. To only choose SOME organic food just shows ingnorance.

Take a look at the health of our peoples!!! dont worry though, someone will be along soon to tell us its all our own fault, or that its "Genetic" again that just shows ignorance.

Its not rocket science, chemicals bad. No chemicals good.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Aspartame is actually excrement of genetically modified E. coli, and changed its name to AminoSweet

www.youtube.com...

Yep, those sweeteners are pure poison.
I've included you link to the youtube vid

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Thanks for that - Aspartame as you know is in so many products and is just one of the many poisons used in food and water
YES - Just noticed the seedlings we saved from our chilli plants have sprouted - I feel like a proud father

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

I know how you feel
I'm just about to introduce my 3 year old grandson to the art of growing his own food.

Side effects of growing organic food:- We feel great, were proud of what we do, and our children are HEALTHY!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

You make an absolutely marvelous point. Seems like the " USA Certified Organic" label is tantamount as something divine. It should be damn close, but hey people some times screw up. Anyway thought I would let you know about a (very expensive and if legitimate at least I can understand that) large bottle of "Organic" labeled olive oil. Truth is few nations have the so called chain of evidence except Canada, the UK, France Australia and New Zealand, and of course mine, the USA that could stand up in at least an American court.

Just bought it today, and saw some odd references on the label. I will check it out and since it does carry the official " USA Certified Organic" label all I can say is it better be. I'll let you know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join