It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Phone: Gov to Spend $2.4 Billion On Millions of Free Phones In 2012

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by tebyen

Blame them both.
Bush for pushing this Progressive Crap pile.
0bama for continuing the raping of the tax payer, to provide crap for non-producers in society.

YEAH, MORE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bend over all you tax paying Citizens. Might as well just hand over half your paycheck now, so in 2 years it won't be sticker shock.

Thanks for playing.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Master_007

NO, it's not a 'Droid operating platform, not a "smart" phone. Basic, basic.....the kind you see at 7-11 stores for $9.99.

Depending on your state, there is Reachout Wireless, offered by Nexus Communications.

There is Safelink Wireless and Tracfone.

There is Assurance Wireless offered through Virgin Mobile.

Those I found from THIS main website

There may be others.

And, as pointed out....this was begun under Bush. And, as pointed out....note who really benefits. Yes, the ones who could not otherwise afford a phone of any kind. But also....the corporations who are slurping at the government trough, right? (IF you want to be "angry" at someone).

Perhaps if some research were done to the beginnings of this idea, it wold lead not to a "progressive" wish for the helping of those in need, but a crass corporate profit-motive instead? I mean, the companies offering cell service get guaranteed customers this way, from people who would otherwise NOT be able to afford it.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
There is already a thread on this

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Oh?

We can all go looking for the other thread....or, perhaps you know its title, and can link it, to make it easier for everyone?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by tebyen

Originally posted by tom1701
GREAT MORE FREE STUFF FOR THE LOSERS AMONG US.....

THIS PRESIDENT IS THE WORST.

Just so you know, this program first began in August 2008, 2 months before Obama was ever elected. So if you're going to blame any president for it, blame Bush.

Not that I support Obama mind you. I think every federal politician elected since 2000 should be brought up on charges of one form or another.

In 2006 Democrats controlled both the House and Senate. Just pointing out who was President sometimes just doesn't cut it. Pretty sure this was snuck in as part of a defense bill. Just guessing, but Democrats were known for sneaking in a lot of pork into bills like these.

link   
How about a phone with NO minutes. Any phone can call911 for free. I know several people with these phones and it's a scam. One guy I know uses it exclusively to sell drugs. Cell phones are not a neccesity!!! And people wonder why this country is going broke.

link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I have to tell you, when I saw the title "Obama Phone" the first thing I thought of was;

1. Call/talk as much as you want, we'll send the bill to someone else.
2. Pressing "0" will get you to the nearest "Occupy" office.
3. Coverage is only good in blue states.
4. If you put it on "speaker" you still get Pelosi.
5. A free "Blame Bush" App.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
It is interesting how this will go on and on bashing Obama for helping poor people and posters will wilfully ignore the fact that OBAMAPHONE WAS DEVISED AND IMPLEMENTED BY BUSH but hey who needs facts when your are all about denying ignorance.

That is a good point, so instead I will blame Obama for not repealing most of the stupid crap that Bush plonked upon us.

Also, what did the poor do before cell phones? Did they die in droves due to not being able to place a call from the grocery store? Did the government give them free quarters (or dimes if you go back far enough) to make payphone calls? How did it work "back in the day"?

(I ask this as a general question to all, not you in particular spyder.)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Jules
Its so they can track people, they want everyone on the control grid, although their excuse is so people can call 911. it also gives people the false sense that a phone is a right to further dumb down the masses. No fourth amendment in america but you get a free cancer phone.

Now that's funny! But I think I agree with your line of thinking. I am not a huge conspiracy theorist, but I have often wondered when the Gov would start issuing phones with active GPS's and free internet service so they can keep track of everyone's locations, habit's and contacts.

It's a big time waste of my tax dollars in my opinion and another example of government getting too big. To say it's to call 911 is a big fat lie...I'm pretty sure an inactive cell phone (no contract or minutes on trac phones) can still call 911as long as the battery has a charge. I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure all cell providers have to allow 911 calls through whether the phone is registered or not. This premise to get this passed through is fulla-bulla....

just tell the truth Big Brother...you wanna keep track of the poor folks...and everyone else as well...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

thank you I am getting my free phone!! called one of the providers and yes I do need one for work, tired of the hunt for change to make a call to have supply's ordered or waiting till the next day.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

One guy I know uses it exclusively to sell drugs.

Well, this is going to happen in any system....and that pretty well contradicts the claim by some others in the thread that the Gov't plans to "track the poor" via these phones!

BTW....from watching "spy" movies, the types of phones used for illegal purposes, or when you don't want to be tracked are the pre-paid types.....not one of these Gov't phones, where you have to give a name, address, SSN, etc to qualify for it. Not a great idea, I would think, for a spy or a drug dealer.....

Cell phones are not a neccesity!!!

The concept here is, the person might have NO phone at all....not even be able to afford a land-line at home....or, credit is poor, and can't get one without a huge deposit, etc.

The phone is then not only a 911 lifeline, but the additional idea is that it can at least help the person in a job search. In order to better him/herself.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I don't see where this a vital "need" for anyone if they can't afford it. Too bad, you don't get a phone. Medicaid, foodstamps, even rent assistance I can see a true need for but who is going to die if they don't have a phone?

From our experience with our friend, he couldn't afford his cable, internet, phone combo anymore, had no extra money to get a cell phone and had no phone. If you don't have a phone......seriously you could die if you can't get an emergency phone call in. Our fried lives alone, this program really does help him.

Like I said , I'm sure it gets abused by quite a few people, but for the very needy, it's a useful program.

Well then maybe your friend should cancel his cable and then he would be able to afford a phone. Cable/Internet/Phone are luxuries not necessities.

Umm....perhaps you didn't read the sentence, he couldn't afford any of that....he has no cable, no internet and had no phone. Please get off your high horse. You wouldn't trade places for a day with the man I am referring to. Having access to emergency services is a necessity. He was hit by a car, damaged his foot pretty badly and can't really move around well to even do basic things. That phone allows him to arrange for rides places till he heals up. I'm all for having people help themselves up by their own bootstraps ect.... but sometimes people REALLY do need help from others. We try to help him as best we can. If it makes you feel any better, he hates the phone and is embarrassed that he needs to get it for free. He's proud but not stupid. It's not like he wants to be in the position he is in.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I really think this is vote buying

but the dems wont agree with that

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This program is so old, it actually goes back to the gov't supplying land lines for those that could not afford them. This is not an ObamaPhone, the program has been in effect since at least the 90's. We all pay a small surcharge on our phone bills for the phone companies to provide this service. Deny ignorance people, yes I realize according to Limbaugh and Company, ie The Republican Party, we have an African Born Muslim as the president of the USA, but he doesn't have enough time in his day to screw up everything you give him credit for screwing up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join