Obama Phone: Gov to Spend $2.4 Billion On Millions of Free Phones In 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
There are supposedly around 100 million Americans living near the government established poverty level.

That means an "Obama Phone" could be all yours, just for the asking !!

The Lifeline and Link Up programs are available to qualifying consumers in every state, territory, commonwealth, and on Tribal lands. Eligibility criteria vary by state. For states that rely solely on the federal Lifeline and Link Up program eligibility criteria, subscribers must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines or participate in one of the following assistance programs:

Medicaid,
    Food Stamps,
    Supplemental Security Income (SSI),
    Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8),
    Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP),
    Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), or
    The National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program.

The qualification requirements apply to roughly half of all American households, because according to recent statistics some 48.5% of Americans receive benefits from the government programs above.

Over $2.4 billion in freshly printed dollars will be directed towards the program, which aims to connect tens of millions of poverty stricken Americans to the digital grid.

Get Your ObamaPhone !

Does the ObamaPhone have unlimited minutes and foreign calling capabilities ?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Its so they can track people, they want everyone on the control grid, although their excuse is so people can call 911. it also gives people the false sense that a phone is a right to further dumb down the masses. No fourth amendment in america but you get a free cancer phone.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

100 million Americans near povertly level? Isn't that like.. almost all working age Americans.
I mean. That is 1/3rd of the population. When you consider the elderly and youth.. that stat puts most working age Americans as impoverished.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

100 million Americans near povertly level? Isn't that like.. almost all working age Americans.
I mean. That is 1/3rd of the population. When you consider the elderly and youth.. that stat puts most working age Americans as impoverished.

That also caught my eye.

I wonder how true it is, or if it's a misprint.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Does the ObamaPhone have unlimited minutes and foreign calling capabilities ?

The phones come with a choice of 2 different plans. One gets you 150 minutes each month, with any unused minutes rolling over to the next month. The second choice gets you 250 minutes each month, but any unused minutes are gone.

Each call takes 1 minute per minute of use. Each text takes 1 minute per text, whether sending or receiving. Also, these phones are very basic model, with the phone and sim card being locked to one another, so no swapping a sim card from the basic phone to a better one, or getting the phone and putting a sim card from a different provider in.

As for overseas calls, I have no clue. None of my family members who have one of these phones knows anyone outside the states.

Also, not everyone under the poverty line can get one. Each household that meets the criteria is allowed one. Doesn't matter if it's 1 person or 6 people living at that house, you can only get 1 phone.

*edit*

Here's a chart for the federal poverty guidelines:

Persons
in Family 48 Contiguous
States and D.C. Alaska Hawaii
1 $10,890 $13,600 $12,540
2 14,710 18,380 16,930
3 18,530 23,160 21,320
4 22,350 27,940 25,710
5 26,170 32,720 30,100
6 29,990 37,500 34,490
7 33,810 42,280 38,880
8 37,630 47,060 43,270
For each additional
person, add 3,820 4,780 4,390

You can view the entirety of the guidelineshere..
edit on 3/8/2012 by tebyen because: (no reason given)
edit on 3/8/2012 by tebyen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
GREAT MORE FREE STUFF FOR THE LOSERS AMONG US.....

THIS PRESIDENT IS THE WORST.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom1701

Just so you know, this program first began in August 2008, 2 months before Obama was ever elected. So if you're going to blame any president for it, blame Bush.

Not that I support Obama mind you. I think every federal politician elected since 2000 should be brought up on charges of one form or another.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tebyen

Good info about the phones.

Sounds they might be those Net10 or Tracphones.

And I suppose if they don't get renewed, you might lose the phone number.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
My mom has one. She chose the 150 minutes a month and the unused minutes roll over . Because she doesn't use it much, she has around 3,000 minutes. She washed the first one-they sent her a replacement. Then she lost that one and they sent her yet another one. I think she's out of luck if she ruins or loses this one, though.

I think it is a Tracphone but I'm not sure.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
reply to post by tebyen

Good info about the phones.

Sounds they might be those Net10 or Tracphones.

And I suppose if they don't get renewed, you might lose the phone number.

Safelink (which is a part of tracphone) and a couple of others are part of it, yes. Anyone with one has to re-certify either once a year or every 18 months, can't remember which it is, and when I said basic phones, I meant it. I have yet to see one that can take pictures, much less do what today's standard phones can do.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tebyen

Blame them both.
Bush for pushing this Progressive Crap pile.
0bama for continuing the raping of the tax payer, to provide crap for non-producers in society.

YEAH, MORE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bend over all you tax paying Citizens. Might as well just hand over half your paycheck now, so in 2 years it won't be sticker shock.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I don't see where this a vital "need" for anyone if they can't afford it. Too bad, you don't get a phone. Medicaid, foodstamps, even rent assistance I can see a true need for but who is going to die if they don't have a phone?

This has to be corporate welfare too as the Government purchases these to be given away so some company benefits here.

What's next. air jordans so kids don't have to feel impoverished?

Ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I am not a supporter of the President, but this program has been around for quite a while. It's not like he came up with it. It was around under Bush as well. One of our older friends has one and he really did need it, he barely makes ends meet. I am sure the system does get abused as well, but it's intention is to help those who trully need it. Most people don't even know the program is available. The phone is a very basic phone with limited minutes per month.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I don't see where this a vital "need" for anyone if they can't afford it. Too bad, you don't get a phone. Medicaid, foodstamps, even rent assistance I can see a true need for but who is going to die if they don't have a phone?

From our experience with our friend, he couldn't afford his cable, internet, phone combo anymore, had no extra money to get a cell phone and had no phone. If you don't have a phone......seriously you could die if you can't get an emergency phone call in. Our fried lives alone, this program really does help him.

Like I said , I'm sure it gets abused by quite a few people, but for the very needy, it's a useful program.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by tebyen

Blame them both.
Bush for pushing this Progressive Crap pile.
0bama for continuing the raping of the tax payer, to provide crap for non-producers in society.

YEAH, MORE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bend over all you tax paying Citizens. Might as well just hand over half your paycheck now, so in 2 years it won't be sticker shock.

I'm very sore "back there", but all ready in position because I just paid my taxes a couple days ago. They took away our child credit this year and a bunch of other stuff, so yeah, I guess I'm gonna just leave my palms on the floor
edit on 8-3-2012 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

From our experience with our friend, he couldn't afford his cable, internet, phone combo anymore, had no extra money to get a cell phone and had no phone. If you don't have a phone......seriously you could die if you can't get an emergency phone call in. Our fried lives alone, this program really does help him.

Like I said , I'm sure it gets abused by quite a few people, but for the very needy, it's a useful program.

Well then maybe your friend should cancel his cable and then he would be able to afford a phone. Cable/Internet/Phone are luxuries not necessities.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

This is not Obama's program its been around for years. Ron Paul has made the case that welfare benefits the rich the most. This program is another example. This is 2.4 Billion going into the pockets of investors and corporations. There is some residual benefit for the people on this programs as they get free or discounted phone access. However, the main benefactor of this money goes directly to the top income earners.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by tebyen

Originally posted by tom1701

Just so you know, this program first began in August 2008, 2 months before Obama was ever elected. So if you're going to blame any president for it, blame Bush.

Not that I support Obama mind you. I think every federal politician elected since 2000 should be brought up on charges of one form or another.

It is interesting how this will go on and on bashing Obama for helping poor people and posters will wilfully ignore the fact that OBAMAPHONE WAS DEVISED AND IMPLEMENTED BY BUSH but hey who needs facts when your are all about denying ignorance.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
You can bet these phone will all come with android and an extra large power cell so it can upload voice recordings at night to the CIA just to make sure you are being a good citizen.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Yep, my taxes went WAY up this year.
Not very happy.
But Hurray!!!!! People get free 0bama Phones.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join