It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another girl in Space ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
This composition goes with the Gemini piece recently posted, and as current shown in my avatar.
This one has some Taurus symbolism buried in it, though it's not represented as strongly for this sign as is with the Gemini piece. It's a little more subtle.
Are Taurians subtle?
I really know very little about the zodiac, or astrology, so, it's a bit of a task attempting to make representation on such.

Anyway, I'm taking a break from this piece, leaving it at this stopping point to gain some distance and perhaps new perspective when I look at it again to decide whether I'm doing more with it, making changes, or what.
In other words, this is WIP, but, closing on the final stages.

Well, here it is (clicky click to make it bigger)

I'm a little sad at the loss of quality in the very fine details that occurred on resizing this for posting on the interwebs.
The details of structures on the space elevator counterweight are lost. the 2nd elevator station closer to the planet surface is just a dot, and you wouldn't even know it's there without me mentioning. All the super fine detail on the planet surface is also lost.
Eh. Dems dat. Get access to the full sized 45MB file at native resolution and well, you'll get a feel for how OCD I can be with super fine detail. meh.

Suggestions, and constructive criticisms are welcome, but, please try be nice. Trolls are nothing new, so, yeah; *yawn*, won't be the first or last time. If you're gonna troll, then, well, how very original of you.

Since this is still technically a WIP any really brilliant suggestions may be added, or potentially turn the piece around.

I'm currently entertaining surrealism ideas with adding a herd of stampeding miniature bulls in the foreground, following the track of the planetary rings.
Another possibility is to design a small spaceship for the model, park it in the background close by, and then add some longhorns affixed to the 'hood' of the craft like some people use to like doing to customize a Cadillac(?).
Taurus. Bull. what can I add/change or do to give it a more Taurian context without spoiling it?

Does each zodiac sign have color associations? Numbers? other loose associations?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I have a book with horoscope associations. Once I look it up, I'll see what I can add. Interesting art.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MissDirtySouth

Thank you.

I've been poking at this, trying out different things from serious to silly.
I even added a phonograph reproducer head with needle like it was reading the grroves of the planetary rings like a record, but, that hasn't worked out. Lots of fun ideas, but, nothing extra really working.

I have, added a ghostly bull outline over the Taurus constellation, using a bull I found on an ancient Grecian earthware urn. It's actually turned out fairly arright and isn't very noticeable at only 25% opacity, so, it's not too much an unrealistic addition, yet it adds weight to the Taurus theme.
Further, I've removed the moon on the left hand side of the frame since it wasn't really doing anything worthwhile and provided more distraction than contribution.

I've also worked in quite a bit of extra hyper fine detail, but, noting that would be noticed on an image density comparable to the one shown above.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
Are Taurians subtle?
I really know very little about the zodiac, or astrology, so, it's a bit of a task attempting to make representation on such.

Anyway, I'm taking a break from this piece,

I'm a little sad at the loss of quality in the very fine details that occurred on resizing this for posting on the interwebs.

Does each zodiac sign have color associations? Numbers? other loose associations?

I know little of astrology too, but always learning makes it fun. I don't think most Taurians are subtle, they are blunt, stubborn and old fashioned typically (but depends on the whole chart, I'm aquarius with pisces rising, and alot of other stuff)

Taking your time with art is a pretty good approach for finishing work. To start I like to be as loose as possible, but yes I hit blocks and need to step back.

I'm sure there's colors numbers and even shapes associated with the zodiac, it's older than religions yet people like to knock it. These are the closed minds you would be best off just ignoring.

I'd suggest jumping on DeviantArt, and search out the styles you like the most and leave comments and make friends, then you can easily ask questions and get a cool variety of views and responses. Most of the artists here just don't like sharing their art much, or talking about it. Maybe it's because they are fearful of their identity being known, but if you have nothing to be ashamed of or hide, then it really doesn't matter does it?

Maybe a subtle bull image in the planet surface? Maybe even look up the astrological symbol for taurus and implement that somehow? The directions you can go in are endless.

Nice work and keep up the cool ideas and art!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

Thank you Aliquandro!
I love your work.
I've recently discovered CafePress.com where you can get your work associated with t-shirts, shower curtains, clocks, pajamas, and tons of other items. It's another other way to market your work from a functional perspective.

Below is the latest update on this piece.

I've gotten rid of the moon in the upper left side of the frame as it wasn't really doing anything.
I've added a Bull overlay on the Taurus constellation from a bull I found on a 2500 year old Greek vase, though I had to alter the horns to get proper coverage over the constellation. The bull overlay gives it a more obvious Taurus feel.
There's some color and detail changes, especially the super fine detail that sadly doesn't show up in this smaller web image. All in all, I like it so far.
Not sure what else I'm going to do with this, so, for now, it's put back onto the 'finished' pending pile where I may go back eventually and make further changes, as nothing I ever do is truly ever finished.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Thank you for the kind words, I'm still struggling at it too.

I will look into Cafepress, my abstracts might transfer well to this sort of medium and keep a trickles of income coming in, who knows, but thanks!

The Taurus image and changes make alot of difference, the bull makes a huge difference. I still don't even sense there is missing details you keep referring to. I don't think you need that much detail to make your art work for you, but I've been away from PS as a professional for awhile. I still manage when I can.

You got some good work and a curious mind, this will get you someplace I think.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
It's good! I don't have any suggestions to add to this work. However, can you draw a Pisces man? I would love to se what you came up with, I am not even bothered about backgrounds or anything but I would to see your conception of a pisces guy.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Pisces has been bothering me.

With this project, I'm aiming more toward a Sci-Fi representation of the Zodiac with a little tiny bit of retro-Sci-Fi thrown in, as well as 'feasible' realism of a possible not-so-very-far-off one-day future.

You can see the work I've done with Gemini that didn't start out to be Gemini, but wound up that way, kicking off the project somewhat by accident with the image in my avatar, as well as following the link in my sig.

As for Pisces, off the bat, I've got more of a fantasy take on it.
From a fantasy perspective, I'd have to get a male model, preferably very toned with well defined classical Greco/Roman sculpture musculature, do a photo shoot with him, and then turn him into a Mer-man wrestling with a big fish/shark or mythical stylized imaginative fish where their wrestling holds/struggle loosely forms the 69 Pisces symbol.

I'm thinking of an image close to classical Greco/Roman sculpture depicting epic figures of mythology.
The Mer-Man could very well be Neptune/Poseidon battling with the Kraken, or some such.

As for Sci-Fi, hrmmm. I'm still trying to wrap my little head around it.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
and where is the LEO art? huh? huh?

...you are very talented!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thank you.

I've yet to find a suitable Leo model.
Problem with models is that models are flakey, and 7/10ths models scheduled will either disappear, suddely have a family emergency, or reschedule as an excuse to flake out another other time.

Suffice to say, it takes quite a bit of time to not only find the right models, but, to also get them in front of the camera.
Then, there's all the post shoot work. Sigh.

Currently, I've got a Capricorn piece in the works, though I'm not really happy with how it's going and may need shoot another other model, but, it's yet to be seen, and I'm stubborn, so, I won't give up til I'm done with it, even if I'm unhappy with it.

I've a Libra, and an Aquarius I'm talking to about scheduling. No Leos yet, but, eventually, hopefully, fruition will come to fruition.

edit on 28-3-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Very nice work, if I get another tattoo I may have to commission the artwork from you. Wish my photography skills were as good, I'm an amateur photographer myself.

top topics

join