It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Attitude' gets 6th grader handcuffed

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Charmed707

You are comparing criminal behavior to talking back? Huge leap there.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I wasn't making any comparison. I'm just making a point that many kids have no fear when it comes to authority figures. Your rhetoric of being "scared into obediance" is over the top.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that point then.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing

Originally posted by dannotz
I blame this on the police officer.

A REAL cop would have found a different solution, or even just thought the principal was being ridiculous.

I was a REAL cop and was injured by a 10 year old and again by his mother.
What is your solution? I am interested to hear how you would have handled this.

I'm sure they injured you badly enough to cause serious physical damage, right? The simple fact is that a child should not have to be arrested at the mandatory public school unless they are a threat to other students' lives. I can't see any possible scenario in which handcuffing a child is absolutely necessary to keep them under control. If you're a cop you should expect that minor injury is a part of the job; what's not part of the job is emotional unnecessary emotional and social damage that results from police brutality.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

This is an adult discussion. One I will gladly take part in. Had you not decided to attack me personally, and on top of that attack my girls, we could have had a civil conversation. My two girls, they are not my kids biologically, I am their uncle, but they call me dad. In the years I have had them, they have blossomed into great young women. 13 and 11, when I got them they were used to walking on eggshells, I have coaxed them out of their shells. The oldest is now a black belt in taekwondo, the younger one a purple belt. If you know martial arts at all, you know that it takes a great ammount of self discipline. Coming from not being able to look me in the eyes due to fear, to where they are now, I am proud as hell of them. I have seen what fear based child raising had done to them, and it was sad as hell. I am glad I took the chance to raise them, instead of letting the "system" do it.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

And another thing, you may not think I have experience with violent teens, but I do. I went to a bad kids school, and although I was white, people respected me. I earned that respect the first day I went there, by fighting gangbangers that challenged me. When teachers in my school wanted something done, they talked to me and 4 other people about it.

The teachers, principal, and councilers, confided in us "leaders." They told us what they wanted, and why, then got out of our way and let us make it happen.

This was a school that had armed guards, a school that once rioted and needed SWAT to come.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I have dealt with hard headed kids before. Never once has the thought of calling the police and have them scared into obedience crossed my mind. Scaring a kid into blind obedience, or beating a kid into blind obedience is hindering their ability to think for themselves. Bottom line is, our job as parent, and as a society is to prepare them for the real world. Can't do your job, then don't become a parent. And certainly don't masquerade as a teacher.

Either way, obedience is expected by the State. The State has usurped the authority of the parents and ruined the children's respect for them with their teaching methods and by scaring the parents into not disciplining them for fear the State will snatch them away. We now have a system where social workers can walk in and take your kids on a dime or someone's whim.
We also have a society which thinks that parents can just reason with the kids and they will be nice and good, that's the Hollywood stereotype. Meanwhile, in the outside world, the kids are being introduced to street drugs, wild parties, and so on, and this has been happening since the 60's. Oh yes, and condoms are being distributed at school. Our society has become both permissive and unable to handle the consequences.
This is not going to get better as long as the Nanny State devalues parents.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I am glad your daughter has become a black belt. This is good training and gives them a way to defend themselves and feel confident. The tenets of Tae Kwon Do teach them values and they have to discipline their minds and bodies as well as show respect.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Martial arts, and I taught them to shoot rifles so far. Not raising no helpless girls, that is for sure

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
She didn't have time for it, and indeed she was right. Clearly the child is more perceptive and mature than some people are letting on. It's quite obvious she saw the Assistant Principal as the irrational, psychotic and delusional creature she is (probably due to her behavior, no doubt) and decided to walk away from it.

Step away from the darkness, child. Basic instincts.

The child's perception is set in stone when the psychotic meat-sac calls an armed law enforcement officer to handle a passive remark.
edit on 11-3-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

My first impression of you was that you were not an adult. I thought you were probably still in high school. It was you who started the personal attacks.

There's a fine line between abuse and discipline.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

What did you take as a personal attack?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
She didn't have time for it, and indeed she was right. Clearly the child is more perceptive and mature than some people are letting on. It's quite obvious she saw the Assistant Principal as the irrational, psychotic and delusional creature she is (probably due to her behavior, no doubt) and decided to walk away from it.

The child's perception is set in stone when the psychotic meat-sac calls an armed law enforcement officer to handle a passive remark.

I keep asking the same question. Did you read the article???

Honestly, people. At least get your facts straight before you start calling folks names.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Kids of recent time are getting [color=gold]OUT OF CONTROL. Something must be done to TAME them. We see how this "Time out" and "Reasoning" with them is working out. They are more out of control then EVER BEFORE.

Teachers and parents need to be [color=gold]allowed and ENCOURAGED by law to WHIP the rudeness and disobedience from them before they get worst which is the path they are on right now.

She should have received [color=gold]several good hard swift whacks of a belt on her rear.

Its about [color=gold]RESPECT and children are LOSING that due to ASININE laws and CPS nonsense.
edit on 11-3-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It has been deleted, but instead of responding to my points, you for some reason called me an "overemotional person".

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Good. Maybe this 11 year old will think twice next time before asserting such an attitude with an authority figure at school.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
That was after you said this though

That crap will NOT be tolerated at the workplace. I can tell your child or children are prime examples of the students I described above. You're out of your mind if you think they will last in the 'real world'.

Honestly though, bygones are bygones. I don't hold grudges, water under the bridge.

The last three years of my "schooling" was in a bad kids school in NY, last chance type schools. I try to look at the positives I can take away from a situation, and not dwell on the negatives. If I could not only survive with the worst of the worst, gangbangers, but rise to the top of the pack; That makes me think I can handle a lot. It sucked at the time, sure, but I learned a lot at the same time.

To give you an idea of the ciriculum of that school, English first period. We were forced to do vocabulary workbooks, at a 6th grade level.... These were words I knew since like 3rd grade, I asked to be excused from that nonesense, and do book reports of adult novels. Denied. I would finish a weeks worth of "schoolwork" on monday, and be bored the rest of the week, and not bother going.

Math was always my strong suite, in 5th grade I got put into gifted math class. In 7th grade, as part of the program, we took the 10th grade level state math test. I scored 89% I think it was, highest in my class, next highest after mine was 69%.

I was so bored in that school, I overlooked their mistake of putting me in math class, even though I was done with highschool math years ago. I ended up teaching the teacher math she didn't understand properly, she got embarrassed, and then it was looked into. They pulled me out of math, and art class was my only joy from that point.

My art teacher was really cool, let us do whatever we wanted really. You want to do an art project, you tell him what you want to do, next day he had the materials. I later found out he paid for them out of pocket, really great guy.
edit on Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:45:59 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Yeah let's beat the kids into submission, that always does the job right? No it doesn't really. The rebellious just learn to not get caught is all. If you can't get a kid to listen to reason, without beating it into them, you probably shouldn't be a parent or teacher. I have never had to raise a hand to my girls, yet they listen to me and respect me. I treat them like people, not dogs that are supposed to do what I say and get a treat, if not I beat the crap out of them.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by SyphonX

I keep asking the same question. Did you read the article???

Honestly, people. At least get your facts straight before you start calling folks names.

I'm not even sure if you meant to direct this at me? Yes, I did in fact read the article. Are you stuck behind your own ego that you think anyone who holds an opinion contrary to your own is somehow stupid or didn't read?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Double.
edit on 12-3-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join