It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Attitude' gets 6th grader handcuffed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If I tried that in 6th grade, I would have had my butt whipped!

When I was in second grade at Our Lady of Las Vegas in the early 60's we had a desk inspection. The nun told us to raise the tops of our desks so she could see into them and then walked up and down the rows inspecting each desk as she went. When she got to my desk, a look of horror came over her face, almost as if she had seen the devil himself. With one swipe of her mighty paw, I was laid out on the floor. Then she picked up my desk and raised it over her head shaking it and emptying all the contents upon me as I lay on the floor terrified for sanctity of my very soul. The look on her face was enough to make the blood run cold in a Navy SEAL. She screamed like a depraved lunatic that I did not deserve a desk and that I was a very untidy boy. Then I was forced to sit on the floor in the back of the class for the next two months with my books and belongings neatly stacked on either side of me.

When I bicycled the six miles home from school that afternoon, the nuns had already called mom and I got a righteous whuppin.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

You really got a beating for something trivial like a messy desk? Wow, seems a bit harsh lol.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
That's about one goosestep away from having thought police.

I normally don't condone unnecessary litigation, but the parents should sue these idiots hard. It's necessary.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I blame this on the police officer.

A REAL cop would have found a different solution, or even just thought the principal was being ridiculous.

It's a trend though with more and more cops, to be a bit power happy and authoritarian.

So yes, it is sort of a conditioning system seeing how more and more we hear stories about unjust cops that're probably being influenced by the national sense of "policing" and the unfair, non-criticism of police leading them to do whatever they want.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This cracks me up.

Do they not know that a good ole ass woppin will fix this kid in about 5 seconds.

Oh that's right neither the parents or the teacher can spank,paddle,or lay a hand

on that precious child. I do not feel one bit sorry for the teacher.They the teachers are the

very ones that started the child abuse excuse.Now the whole things out of control.

Is there a time for parents to be looked at for abuse?Yes there is but not every time.

The only one i feel sorry for is the kid.Instead of corporal punishment or a spanking

by the teacher or the parent the kid gets hauled to jail.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

Inbound guided missile belt of doom right there boy.

If it was my daughter she would have gotten grounded , no T.V , video games , playing with toys until i got tired of hearing her complain.

After all this , she would have been sat down and explained to her exactly what she did and why she was and is being punished. I then would have returned with her to school and had her apologize to the ADULT she spoke to in that situation and my child would explain why she wouldn't be doing that again any time soon.

Taken to Juvenile (if i couldn't have been reached) is perfectly feasible. You dont speak to an Adult authority figure like that and just walk off ... i mean seriously?
edit on 8-3-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The child has not used curse language, was not a threat to the teacher or herself, was not violent so the handcuffing is a completely disproportionate punishment,
I am an educated, middle-class, European mother in our family we encourage constructive, open discussion, so fear of punishment and obeying orders are since four humanistic-liberal generations not part of the education process understanding/respecting others and self-reflection is the way we have been brought up to be leaders by example and whatever form of violence is not acceptable. Children are to be treated with the same respect you would treat an adult, mainly because we all get the basic traits of personality at birth.
Corporal punishment is useless and cruel. I want my son to think before he acts (not out of fear!) and he rarely has done something inconsiderate. We respect our child and our son respects us and we make sure he has the mental tools to understand why other do what they do and is able to understand his own actions and to question authority in a respectful way. This is the reason we have chosen for him an independent non-religious school focusing in achieving same goals.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by starseedflower

That is the problem as stated [what you want for your son] might not be what your

son needs.To much free thinking at a young age might be a hindrance at a young age.

And not every child needs a spanking.But the chain of command starts at home.

Raise them right and they will act accordingly. Parenting is not a democracy it is in fact

dictatorship.A child cannot be compared to a adult.you cannot be a friend and a parent.

That's like a dad saying to his son say you want a hit off this joint.It wont work that way

sorry but thats how it is in the real world.
edit on 9-3-2012 by grayghost because: Add to poste.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by grayghost

Who told you that parenting is a dictatorship? Remember we act out what we have experienced and learned from our parents. Good parenting can only imply participative management skills and leading by example. As a parent or teacher I am a facilitator and a guide, providing my child with the necessary tools of wisdom, compassion and empathy to master reality successfully and be of help to other children and later on in life other adults. Corporal punishment results are 1) scared children unable to make logical decisions on their own or 2) bullies acting out what they have experienced, which is quiet sad.
And by the way all members of our family including myself got excellent curriculum and graduated, resulting into successful career paths.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I know people that were spanked as kids, some turned out great, some tunred out not so great.

I know people that were not spanked as kids, some tunred out great, some turned out not so great.

I do not raise a hand to my girls, I speak to them like people. I don't talk down at them, I speak with them. They know my rules, they know why I set them. For the most part they are quite good, but as kids are people, I get some attitude once in a while. I am expecting it will get a little worse as they progress into their teens further, but that is pretty normal.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz

A REAL cop would have found a different solution, or even just thought the principal was being ridiculous.

I was a REAL cop and was injured by a 10 year old and again by his mother.
What is your solution? I am interested to hear how you would have handled this.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing

Originally posted by dannotz

I was a REAL cop and was injured by a 10 year old and again by his mother.
What is your solution? I am interested to hear how you would have handled this.

As a teacher, I've seen kids become so violent they are a real threat to themselves and others.

I saw a second grade boy fling a table across the room.
I've seen fifth grade students of both sexes rip the metal door off a locker and then use it as a weapon.

I've been punched, kicked, bitten, scratched, had a handful of hair yanked out, and been stabbed with a pair of scissors and who knows how many pencils.

Not all of these children were considered special needs.

Now consider this. The article said an intervention with the guidance office failed. Guidance counselor's are professionals who are trained to deal with our of control students. The fact is the school tried to calm her.

No one called the police. Most middle and high schools have a resource officer on staff for just this type of situation. He stepped in and took over. For this to occur, the officer must have decided she posed a threat to herself and others. . At that point, the school no longer has control.
It is the POLICE DEPARTMENT'S policy to transport everyone in handcuffs.

I wonder how many folks would be threatening to sue that school if this child became violent and injured someone else. Then we'd have a thread bashing the administrator for not doing her job.

Honestly, working in education gets worse every year.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by nrd101

Inbound guided missile belt of doom right there boy.

If it was my daughter she would have gotten grounded , no T.V , video games , playing with toys until i got tired of hearing her complain.

After all this , she would have been sat down and explained to her exactly what she did and why she was and is being punished. I then would have returned with her to school and had her apologize to the ADULT she spoke to in that situation and my child would explain why she wouldn't be doing that again any time soon.

Taken to Juvenile (if i couldn't have been reached) is perfectly feasible. You dont speak to an Adult authority figure like that and just walk off ... i mean seriously?
edit on 8-3-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

Our country needs more parents like you, my friend. I have no doubt your children are learning important life lessons, and they will benefit from this greatly in later years.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

Good. To many kids now don't know how to respect adults. She should have been cuffed. Just look what she said at the end of the artical. She would have had a different response if she knew she was going to be cuffed. Not to be rude. Thats what wrong with the kids today no respect, the parents arnt teaching it so some one has to. Good job cuffing her.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Quezada said she'd have a different response if she has another encounter with school staff. "Not to give them attitude," she said.

...and there it is. One more citizen scared into obedience.

Originally posted by jmotley

Good. To many kids now don't know how to respect adults. She should have been cuffed. Just look what she said at the end of the artical. She would have had a different response if she knew she was going to be cuffed. Not to be rude. Thats what wrong with the kids today no respect, the parents arnt teaching it so some one has to. Good job cuffing her.

Using your exact logic, would you stop making ignorant ass posts if someone was to punch you in the throat?
edit on 3/9/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Isn't it illegal to waste a police officer's time when no crime is being committed? Even if the cop was a resource officer for the school, being a smartass is not a crime and what happened was in no way neccessary. Beyond that, it sends a dangerous message to every kid in that school, "Authority figures are always right, and to dissagree or go against their wishes is a high crime."

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I would've spit in that staff members face the second they told me they were contacting the police hows that for "attitude". Im tired of this teacher mentality were discipline is more important then the education. The staff that called the police should be fired and arrested for misuse of the 911 line. If she can't handle an 11 year old why doesn't she move to the highschool and see how they treat her there.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brandon88
I would've spit in that staff members face the second they told me they were contacting the police hows that for "attitude". Im tired of this teacher mentality were discipline is more important then the education. The staff that called the police should be fired and arrested for misuse of the 911 line. If she can't handle an 11 year old why doesn't she move to the highschool and see how they treat her there.

And the ignorance continues.

No one called 911. It was the school's resource officer who took her away.

She was not arrested. Honestly, did you even read the article?

Your comment "I'm tired of this teacher mentality were discipline is more important than education" really gave me a chuckle. Without discipline, there is no education. Everything would be chaos. Imagine a room of thirty kids all doing whatever they want during a lesson. Do you really think anyone could learn in that sort of environment?

Discipline is necessary. Self-discipline is a life-long skill. It's what allows you to make wise decisions in your life. Children need to be taught discipline, taught how to interact with others in a positive and respectful manner.

What do you think will happen when this young lady has an attitude problem at work?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Me being two years out of highschool I could tell you first hand the ignorance of teachers, on top of me living with one. Discipline guidelines are already in place its called detention, suspension, and loss of school privileges. I've been in MUILTIPLE fist fights in school and still never had the police come and remove me. Im sure this person was having a bad day and was like, "ohh im going to take my anger out on this snide little 11 year old", yea thats an adult for you let me tell ya. When was the last time you were in school? 10-20 years?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brandon88
reply to post by smyleegrl

Me being two years out of highschool I could tell you first hand the ignorance of teachers, on top of me living with one. Discipline guidelines are already in place its called detention, suspension, and loss of school privileges. I've been in MUILTIPLE fist fights in school and still never had the police come and remove me. Im sure this person was having a bad day and was like, "ohh im going to take my anger out on this snide little 11 year old", yea thats an adult for you let me tell ya. When was the last time you were in school? 10-20 years?

I was there today. I'm a teacher.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join