It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Attitude' gets 6th grader handcuffed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Seems the liberal policies of no discipline are working well. Sounds like the kid needs the old paddle.
It also seems the parents failed to raise a decent child who doesn't respect anyone. Maybe this kid will learna lesson being handcuffed for her stupid outbursts and learn some respect.

OP-revenge?.. I get called on my daughter acting like that, I'm punishing her also.
edit on 3/8/2012 by mugger because: (no reason given)

Take an article about a child being rude and getting handcuffed because trained adults can't handle it like adults, and spin it into rant against "liberals".

Living in a black and white world must be sweet

edit on 8-3-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I understand. It can get very boring for sheriffs in some american towns.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by retiredTxn

My children don't do serious bad things, most are extra respectful of the teachers, but they do get late. And its never their fault, there are other reasons. Nor do I allow unfairness, or group things, nor do I allow the teachers, the school system or the government to teach that its OK to blame innocents to catch one guilty. I teach my kids to be fair, and when something is unfair, to NOT OBEY.

PERIOD.

In addition. I have alot of other rules, ie, if they tried to force vaccination, they are to run home.

My kids are NOT being taught to obey. And I do have one who is finally getting out of droopy bottoms, he did talk back. If he messes up his last 2 years then he can be put to work, start a business for him. So he has to make decisions, but I'm glad he doesn't hang out with other kids, stays home, chats on the computer, and finally started outgrowing that fad. Now he's into skinnies that have tares in them.

I'm not a dictator. I talk to them, and talk about soul purpose and encourage meditation. Warn them about risks.

Lately talk about what small businesses we should start.

The rest is irrelevant. If he talks back but never hits, harms, or gets into serious trouble, thats OK. Also, he was taught to walk away, if he is losing his temper. Which he did.

I definitely don't value the average values and don't the world the way most do. Also, I speak up to the school

By the way, this is NWO.
edit on 8-3-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I agree that putting the child in handcuffs was way overboard.

At the high school at least that I went to, (during the early 90s) telling a teacher that you didn't have time for what they were saying to you, probably would have landed you a detention, (that is, having to work during the lunch hour, or maybe an hour after school) as well as a fairly stern verbal reprimand; but nothing more serious, and to me, this doesn't warrant a more serious punishment than that. If a child had a consistent record of that kind of behaviour, they might start talking about the possibility of leaving school early, or at least expulsion to another school; but that would not occur before a series of repeat offenses.

It is insubordination, definitely; but I would also probably want to hear the girl's side of it. As someone else has said in this thread, power tripping definitely happens among adults in school environments.

I also do not consider it worthy of corporal punishment, personally. I am not necessarily entirely averse to corporal punishment, but I don't believe that it should be used after probably the age of ten, and my own experience demonstrated that it does have extreme potential for abuse; not only in terms of the severity of the punishment itself, but also the justifications used by the adult in question.
edit on 8-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

Seems the liberal policies of no discipline are working well. Sounds like the kid needs the old paddle.
It also seems the parents failed to raise a decent child who doesn't respect anyone. Maybe this kid will learna lesson being handcuffed for her stupid outbursts and learn some respect.

OP-revenge?.. I get called on my daughter acting like that, I'm punishing her also.

Take an article about a child being rude and getting handcuffed because trained adults can't handle it like adults, and spin it into rant against "liberals".

Living in a black and white world must be sweet

edit on 8-3-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

I think the problem with this, is that conservatives do not understand that their methods do not actually solve problems; they simply make them invisible. Beating a child into submission is not going to instill genuine discipline, (and it certainly isn't going to install psychological equilibrium) but what it may do, is motivate the child to behave in a submissive, uniform, and silent manner, in order to attempt to avoid further violence being inflicted upon it.

What conservatives who favour Leave It To Beaver type social scenarios do not recognise, is that the problems which are so visible today, were not non-existent during the 1950s, the Victorian period, and earlier. Said problems were simply repressed.

Homosexuality, paedophilia, bestiality, child molestation, serial murder, paganism; all of those things still existed. They just weren't talked about, and the associated problems were never solved. The only real way in which things have changed these days, is that they are no longer swept under the rug. We actually are willing to talk about these things now, and look at them.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

My kids are NOT being taught to obey.

Its about respect to those who do in fact know better than you, grant not everyone, but until that child can work it out for themselves, its all about respect.

I believe you have to have respect first to be able to decide.

Id want my kids to have respect for their teachers rather than blind obedience towards all adults, i will agree that obeying adults has taken place over teaching good honest respect.

edit on 8-3-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

WOW! Although your intent may be good, you are setting your children up for a big disappointment when they grow older and leave home. Life is not always fair, and you can't teach children "to not obey" just because they or you feel it is unfair. You say as long as he just talks back but does not hit, harm, or get into serious trouble, that is OK. Remind him to do that if he ever goes to court, and see how far talking back to the judge gets him.

Teachers have to deal with all kinds of crap, and IMO you are the parent teachers dread. As well as your children.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The parents/guardians should have been called to the school. And the underlying problem here is not these mouthy little bastards, and most kids in 2012 are, and not parents too busy/lazy to be parents, and most parents in 2012 are, it is the cutbacks on education that has created this problem. Lower salaries drive away the decent educators and brings in the riff-raff. Look at the threads discussing chomos in schools. When you lower salaries you lower standards, just like any other business. It is a miracle the US even has a school system. Punkass kids, punkass parenting, punkass paychecks and punkass teachers-A MIRACLE THERE IS EVEN ONE SCHOOL IN AMERICA.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

There is no law against not listening to a principal. And no, we'd be paddling our politicians before we'd let anyone touch the kids.

I'd keep them home.

I just read some of these comments. I don't even allow them to keep my child in detention and instruct my children to come home. I decide if they are getting a time out ,not somebody else.

I've also told my children to go to the washroom when they want to and told the teachers what I told them.
edit on 8-3-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

You and other parents like you, are ABSOLUTELY the source of the whole problem. "Nobody gonna touch MAH keeuds"

As others have pointed out, your spoiled children are in for a RUDE awakening. Try the tactics YOU HAVE TAUGHT THEM against the cops and the judge they will be facing when they commit the crimes you are setting them up for. Good luck with that.

The only two posts on here that made sense, are the one from a guy who pointed out HIS OWN KIDS have called Child Services on him. Your own kids are taught they can have you thrown in jail if you don't do what THEY want. Their own parents teach them to disobey the teachers, and therefore, anyone else. This is insanity.

The other is the one from a teacher, who pointed out that, thanks to parents like YOU, they have absolutely NO power to do ANYTHING to these kids. They can't even TOUCH them, and their parents are telling them, much like you, to ignore the teachers, and just LEAVE if they are given detention or anything.

The brat could easily have made up a lie saying the teacher was "touching her inappropriately" or some such nonsense, and the teacher would be in JAIL and you would all be screaming for his head. Therefore, the teacher's ONLY option is to call the cops. Funny how that works, eh?

So, all your years of screaming about the "brutality" of corporal punishment have gotten you what you wanted. Happy now?

The kids are taught to call the cops on their teachers or even their own parents. The parents taught this to the kids, and are also ready to SUE the teachers etc. In other words, don't try to resolve anything on your own, let the GOVERNMENT "take care" of you. Duh. And then you play the other side as well.

Well, YOU LOSE. You still don't even get it, though.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

Gee...an 11 year old girl with an attitude. Who would have thought?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Someone forgot they were an Adult and were in charge.

Ohh save me officer, someone did not submit to me like a slave, I can't handle a situation my job duties require of me yet I collect a check from tax payers... kahduuurrrr!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nrd101

What! Now we arrest children for being rude! What is wrong with our teachers in America that they have to resort to the criminal justice system when a student misbehaves? Talk Back to the Teacher? Handcuffs for you little girl!!
Don't put my little girl in handcuffs at school!! If this happened to my daughter I would get revenge. Its like conditioning for a police state where everyone is guilty until proven innocent. Conditioning to be a slave.

usnews.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

maybe you need to bring up your spoilt brats with some manners and respect instead of being always being nasty and unpleasant.probably dump them in front of the tv/computer playing grand theft auto while you get drunk in the pub.

if it was up to me i would forcibly send /deport them to irak or afganistan..

that will teach them some hard lessons about real life

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Now these measures work wonderfully for students who are respectful and courteous. But the majority of students in my school are not respectful. Where did they learn this? From their first and most important teacher: their parents.

I've been cursed out by a third grader. When I met with the parents, they cursed me as well.

I've dealt with extremely hostile parents. I've been called names, threatened, and more by adults. Is it any wonder their children have behavior problems?
I completely understand what you're talking about. Same thing's been going on in our schools. I'm in CO btw. I want to thank you for your efforts. Some of us appreciate it. I always told my kids teachers are our first boss. If you work you'll probably have one the rest of your life so learn to get along.

Parents here are acting like maniacs. They have issues over basic things like homework, attendance, disruptive classroom behavior. Some teachers won't back down so the parents take their trouble makers home for schooling. It doesn't take long to realize Jr isn't anymore studious at home than he was at school. The majority of these kids limp along, learn nothing and quit at 16. We've got kids here who were pulled out in the third grade and now the majority can't read beyond a 1st/2nd grade level. They're forever children.

This happened to our son's best friend, he wasn't mean just lazy. Mom was doing his homework trying to keep him in public school. She felt teachers were picking on him. What was required of other students was simply out of the question for her baby. Her solution home schooling, it failed miserably. She coddled away his education.

He officially quit at 16 but actually had given up by the 4th grade. Now they're both 26 our son moved away, went to college, works, pays bills, married etc. you know a regular member of society. His friend is still hanging around this small rural town with few opportunities. He doesn't work lives with mom/dad...no future. He doesn't get in trouble but I'm not sure what he does all day. Imo his parents have retarded a perfectly normal child. It's hard for me to see this as anything but child abuse.

My hubby has a theory that some of these parents hated school as kids. They themselves were behavior problems and now they're extracting revenge from teachers using their own spawn. Nothing but sad and the kids always lose.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The biggest problem in schools is that the minute that teachers discpline kids in their classes, the kids go running to the parents who then sue the school.

This leaves no recourse for the schools but the get the police involved in situations like this.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
It that was my 11 year old child, the school involved, would have a legal situation on their hands.

If that was my child I would first ask what they were doing roaming the halls without permission when they know the rules? Then I would tell them it isn't unreasonable for a teacher to expect an answer and "I don't have time for this" explains nothing, it's dismissive and impolite.

I went to an inner city school. The halls were dangerous. We didn't have asst. principles walking our halls we had plain clothes policemen/women. You didn't want to be caught in the hall without a pass. I wouldn't advise telling a Gary cop "I don't have time for this" good luck with that.

The cops were put in our school after a girl was raped on an upper floor. She was at her locker, nearby classes weren't in session so no one heard her cries. A blind student had his braille typewriter thrown down a flight of stairs and was severely beaten. One of these "special children" took a sledge hammer to all the porcelain in the girls bathroom which made it impossible for the rest of us use the damn bathroom without a cop.

Letting the kids completely run the show is a recipe for disaster. This girl getting handcuffed is no different than what the cops would've done in my school. Boo effing hoo. If you're going to be a smart ass get used to people not taking your s#!t for very long.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

This is outrageous and should not be occurring but seriously...

This is what happens when you put your children in a public school system. It is not like this is the first time this has happened, certainly won't be the last.

when will people start expecting crap like this to happen? How many times does it have to happen before anyone realizes this is the new norm and their kids should find a new way to be educated.

Far worse things have happened to children put parents keep enrolling their kids and allowing it to occur. I realize parents should not expect this to happen but it keeps happening?!?! At what point will a parent say NO MORE. Not My Kid.
edit on 8-3-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
As a kid, I would have gotten sent to the principal for that. Gotten a detention and then at home I would have gotten my butt whooped by my dad.

People now days seem to freak out and over react to children being children. And that is what it is. Kids get rude some times. Getting the police involved in this is such a gross over reaction.

Does anyone know how to make sure the punishment fits the crime anymore? Doesn't seem like it...

edit on 8-3-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Seriously though what does a teacher have to prove anyway? Why the overreaction?

I mean is this teacher really so insecure that a young kid can deal such a blow to their pride they retaliate by any means necessary?

I thought these teachers were supposed to be mature adults?!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

See, back in the day, I would have gotten sent to the principal for that. Gotten a detention and then at home I would have gotten my butt whooped by my dad.
Exactly but that doesn't happen today.

People now days seem to freak out and over react to children being children. And that is what it is. Kids get rude some times. Getting the police involved in this is such a gross over reaction.
I think teachers start freaking out when they confront parents and in response the parents go berserk. Hard to work through a situation when mom/dad is threatening your life.

Arguing with uncooperative/out of control parents only escalates the problem. If mom/dad comes back with a gun who's going to get the blame? The teacher for not calling police sooner. It's a no win situation for teachers. Unfortunately it's in the best interest for all to just let LE handle it when teachers can't or mom/dad won't. What would you suggest?
edit on 3-8-2012 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Oh my GOD EXACTLY. What parents tell their kids to do whatever they like at school? That is beyond ridiculous. HAHA. My mom says I dont have to listen to you teacher...what a great lesson....

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join