It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School says Students’ Use of “USA USA” Chant is Racist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
School says Students’ Use of “USA USA” Chant is Racist

A Texas school district has filed a complaint alleging that students from a rival school engaged in racism by chanting “USA, USA” at a basketball game. The students involved in the incident were reprimanded and forced to apologize.

The San Antonio Independent School District filed the complaint with the University Interscholastic League, the governing body for athletics in Texas. They allege that students at Alamo Heights High School began chanting “USA, USA” after they defeated Edison High School to win a region basketball championship.

Edison’s team is predominantly Hispanic, said Leslie Price, a spokesperson for the San Antonio ISD.

“The implication as they are not American citizens,” Price told Fox News. “We understand competiveness and rivalry, but you need to choose your words and think about the meaning behind them.” Price said she believes the “USA, USA” chant was racially motivated.

:shk: 'Choose your words and think about the meaning behind them'. Hello? 'USA, USA' ....
It's pretty clear that they were being patriotic. At the Flyers games we go to sometimes the
fans will break out into a 'USA USA' chant as well. Even when both teams are from the USA
and knowing that many of the players, on both teams, are not from the USA.

Looks like the Independent School District people are the ones making something out of nothing.
By them assuming racism, it's really THEM who are assuming the kids are illegals or whatever ...

Last but not least .... 'USA IS NOT A RACE'.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It's pretty clear that they were being patriotic.

Dont be ludicrous.

Also there is a thread on this.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
They werent doing it to be patriotic, they were been racist.

Its like Aston Villa (majority English) playing Chelsea or Arsenal (majority foreign) and the Aston Villa fans shouting C'mon England, its racist..No way round it, their deliberately shouting this to state that the opposite team are not of the same nationality.

On a side note, I find American chants mind numbingly boring and have seen more creativity in basic elementary origami paper shapes. Team USA, USA. Go USA. Zzzzz
Can't beat English chants
I'd post my fave but id probably get banned lol
edit on 8-3-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

Explanation: Yes there is another thread and it is in another forum and ATS is allowed to have two threads on same issue in different forums.

Personal Disclosure:

edit on 8-3-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix spelling.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
They werent doing it to be patriotic, they were been racist.

'USA' isn't a race. :shk:

Originally posted by theubermensch
Dont be ludicrous.

I'm being correct.

Also there is a thread on this.

Yep .. just saw that. It was in a different place under a different title ...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Explanation: S&F!

I agree!

I posted this to the other thread .. but I feel that is was overlooked [by lack of replies] and so OL will see if it gets any traction in here ...

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
Explanation: S&F!

Uhmmm?

Alamo Heights Superintendent Dr. Kevin Brown also apologized for the chant.

Now what was that chant ...

"USA, USA, USA," they chanted.

And Dr Brown went on to say ...

"We just hope that people know that that's not who we are and we're not going to let it happen again," Brown said.

Okayyyyyyyyyyy! So is that code for "High schools in the USA are not part of the USA?"!

Personal Disclosure:
If that IS the case then maybe a discussion on the ...

Pledge of Allegiance (USA) [wiki]

Congressional sessions open with the recital of the Pledge, as do government meetings at local levels, and meetings held by many private organizations. It is also commonly recited in school at the beginning of every school day, although the Supreme Court has ruled on several occasions that students cannot be compelled to recite the Pledge, or punished for not doing so.

... would be in order!

edit on 7-3-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix failed quote bbcode.

Personal Disclosure: I hope what I added above helps put things in perspective with an appropriate level of contrast and helps this thread to grow as best it can!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join