It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh yeah!, X-5 flare just happened.. May be earth directed, Bring it Sun!!!

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MissJp

I can not understand them either, Just look's like a pic some sort of alien/predator to me

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PaTommyJ

i'm in south eastern PA, so i'm not getting my hopes up, but at least it's nice and warm today for viewing.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissJp
reply to post by s0l4rn1ghtm4r3

Can you explain what it means? I cant understand those. Thanks

Well, I'm no expert myself, but know enough to understand when it's normal, and when it's not.

The magnetosphere is a giant shield protecting the earth from the solar winds/radiation. As the sun hurls CMEs in our direction, these charged particles interact with the magnetosphere, causing issues with electronics and such. If it weren't for those red and blue lines, we'd be cooked alive. So, if we have a big enough impact, it can completely obliterate the magnetosphere, exposing us to the harmful radiation. The main concern is the possibility of these charged particles destroying satellites.power grids/electronics, which could effectively send us back to the stone age.

Maybe someone else could be more technical with the jargon, including the Bz index and what not, thats the best I've got, but I'm new to this.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissJp

Can you explain what it means? I cant understand those. Thanks

Well, I'm no expert myself, but know enough to understand when it's normal, and when it's not.

The magnetosphere is a giant shield protecting the earth from the solar winds/radiation. As the sun hurls CMEs in our direction, these charged particles interact with the magnetosphere, causing issues with electronics and such. If it weren't for those red and blue lines, we'd be cooked alive. So, if we have a big enough impact, it can completely obliterate the magnetosphere, exposing us to the harmful radiation. The main concern is the possibility of these charged particles destroying satellites.power grids/electronics, which could effectively send us back to the stone age.

Maybe someone else could be more technical with the jargon, including the Bz index and what not, thats the best I've got, but I'm new to this.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Thanks for that, I understand now

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
For those asking, Phage wrote up two different threads explaining the Magnetosphere Simulation. They are both from 2009 so the examples he uses will be dated but the explanation on the simulation images is very useful.

Thread 1 Good explanation of the pressure reading.
Thread 2 Explains the blue/red squiggles.

Hope that helps!!
OiO

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Is that what the noise I'm hearing is? Or is it inrealated. It sounds like jets passing, I can barely even hear real planes or any cars on the freeway passing, and I'm right by it atm. It is probably unrelated just wondering if anybody else hears it. Its not a bad sound, just one I don't hear every morning.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The Bz component of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF) has been pointing mostly to the north and this is keeping the geomagnetic storm at minor levels thus far. Should the Bz begin to point south for long durations, this may help intensify the storm. More updates when needed.

What does the "Bz" mean?

The sun has a magnetic field which the solar wind can carry throughout the solar system. This is called the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF). Earth also has a magnetic field which forms a bubble around our planet. This is called the Magnetosphere. This bubble deflects the solar wind. Earth's magnetic field comes into contact with the sun's magnetic field in a place called the magnetopause. Here is the catch. Earth's magnetic field points north. When the sun's magnetic field points south, also known as southward Bz.. it may cancel Earth's magnetic field at point of contact. When the Bz is south the 2 fields link up. This basically opens up a door that may allow energy from the solar wind to reach Earth's atmosphere.

Found this that helped me understand more

fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...
edit on 3/8/2012 by justcurious31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by justcurious31

Thanks for that, I understand now

No problem. Happy to be of assistance.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
Is that what the noise I'm hearing is? Or is it inrealated. It sounds like jets passing, I can barely even hear real planes or any cars on the freeway passing, and I'm right by it atm. It is probably unrelated just wondering if anybody else hears it. Its not a bad sound, just one I don't hear every morning.

I'm not sure about a particular noise, but the wind is sure picking up here. May be unrelated, but still quite loud and powerful.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by justcurious31

You beat me to it. lol yes the Bz index is the one to keep an eye on at the moment. This solar storm is relatively weak at 5kp at the moment and is equivilant to the M class storm we had the other day.

As for the magnetosphere images go, they are not really that spectaculor at the moment. If you look at previous images from CMEs on youtube you can see how crazy the magnetosphere can get.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
In Portugal, and mainly in my office its damn too hot..not typical for this time of year.. but we are having one of the hottest and dry january and february since the 90's.. we are starting to have some fear about dryness for the agriculture and lands. Back to topic.. im hearing and seeing a lot of contrails (i hope that are not chemtrails
) and hearing a lot of those sounds described before.. but.. i guess that is because we had to open the windows today lol =)

everything seems working just fine around here.. for now, thank god or something greater

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
A nice little description of what the Bz index is.

What does the "Bz" mean?

The sun has a magnetic field which the solar wind can carry throughout the solar system. This is called the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF). Earth also has a magnetic field which forms a bubble around our planet. This is called the Magnetosphere. This bubble deflects the solar wind. Earth's magnetic field comes into contact with the sun's magnetic field in a place called the magnetopause. Here is the catch. Earth's magnetic field points north. When the sun's magnetic field points south, also known as southward Bz.. it may cancel Earth's magnetic field at point of contact. When the Bz is south the 2 fields link up. This basically opens up a door that may allow energy from the solar wind to reach Earth's atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

That's the one

Could you please tell me how to do a quoted post?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Update The Bz component of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF) has been pointing mostly to the north and this is keeping the geomagnetic storm at minor levels thus far. Should the Bz begin to point south for long durations, this may help intensify the storm. The current Solar Wind speed is near 700 km/s as per the SOHO Spacecraft data. More updates when needed.

www.solarham.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Here is a link to what they have listed on their site. The morning broadcast however was much more dramatized.
WZZM13 News Now looking at it all I think they tied in local wind damage power outages to the potential solar storm outages.....

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Well, I'm going to lay down and get some rest before they send the child home. But if anything happens in the meantime, least The mother and child are the right place for treatment and My dog and I will fry like eggs.

Have a good day.
edit on 8-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

That's the one

You just push the quote button on a post, and if you want to quote whatver other text, like from another site, it is a button after pushing reply to post, up above the box you type in. It's the 4th one from the right titled "quote".

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by s0l4rn1ghtm4r3

That's the one

You just push the quote button on a post, and if you want to quote whatver other text, like from another site, it is a button after pushing reply to post, up above the box you type in. It's the 4th one from the right titled "quote".

Thank you

That has made feel quite dumb on how easy it is

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by s0l4rn1ghtm4r3

That's the one

Thank you

That has made feel quite dumb on how easy it is

It happens to the best of us.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join