It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Primacy of Consciousness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by NorEaster

Did you watch the video?
'Self' awareness is not consciousness, awareness is consciousness. 'Self' consciousness is where you 'think' you are separate from consciousness.
You may see it as entertainment and not truth because you are still working with the old paradigm and because of this you will dismiss all that was said in the video, in fact i doubt you even watched it because you are so sure of your own beliefs/facts.
You seem to know a lot of 'facts'. But do you know the truth?

Consciousness is sentience. Sentience is awareness of self. Period. Look it up if you need to.

If Sentience is Awareness of Self, then what's it called when that "being" is Aware of Self that doesn't really exist?

Fools Paradise?

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

Did you watch the video?
'Self' awareness is not consciousness, awareness is consciousness. 'Self' consciousness is where you 'think' you are separate from consciousness.
You may see it as entertainment and not truth because you are still working with the old paradigm and because of this you will dismiss all that was said in the video, in fact i doubt you even watched it because you are so sure of your own beliefs/facts.

Consciousness is sentience. Sentience is awareness of self. Period. Look it up if you need to.

If Sentience is Awareness of Self, then what's it called when that "being" is Aware of Self that doesn't really exist?

Fools Paradise?

Ribbit

Something that doesn't exist can't be aware of itself or anything. It doesn't exist. It has no awareness. Not even in a semantics sense. You suggestion lacks its own logical consistency. You've debunked your own assertion.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Awareness does not exist. Exist means to stand out, what is seen. Awareness can not be seen because it sees, it knows, it is aware. Awareness exists by not existing.
You should watch the video in the OP.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
double post
edit on 3/8/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy

The existential structure that guides progressive physical development to the point of achieving the emergence of the corporeal brain is established as a result of contextual (historical) precedence in the form of residual information, and the impact of default ramification on that which is dynamic and progressive.

Ummm... and this is your argument for why you BELIEVE consciousness is a derivative of the brain? You talk the talk of a scientist, but I have no clue what you said. Is science just a WAY of talking now days?

My belief on this topic: I have none. Honestly, it could be either. It is a fun thought to play around with though, however, it brings about no peace of mind and so it is of very little use to hold onto long enough to form a belief system out of it.

Peace.

Here, I'll bullet point it for you.

• Progressive physical development naturally adds complexity (as we know it does)
  • At a point, that complexity reaches its capacity to be successfully manageable as a material whole (it's got sub-assemblies - like organs and appendages and other stuff that helps it be mobile and competitive and more resilient to external threats)
  • Natural physical development doesn't just stop progressing (as we already know it didn't) and instead it addresses this issue by developing the corporeal brain to effectively manage the new levels of material complexity (as we already know that it did, in fact, do)
  • That brain configures information "action items" (we know that this is what the brain does) that travel down established communication networks to the sub-assemblies (these networks are called the nervous system) as informational event trajectories, and they cause things to react and respond to the brain's management directives.
  • The corporeal brain eventually progressed in sophistication to the point of being able to configure informational action items that are capable of sentience (self awareness), and we know this is true because as human beings, we're self aware and we have brains and if our brains become diseased or damaged, that disease or damage directly affects our ability to be self aware and the specific nature of that self awareness. This isn't conjecture, and we even have developed perception altering medications that specifically target regions of the brain to accomplish the perception alterations successfully.
  • The sentience that our brains allow us to possess is called conscious awareness or consciousness. Consciousness is just another word used to describe conscious awareness or sentience. It means the same thing - unless (apparently) you haunt this particular Internet forum and have decided that you reject that word as describing what it describes and have chosen to embrace a definition that no one here seems to actually be capable of representing with an actual description that the "unenlightened" can get a handle on.
  • Human sentience does exist, and is what you're working with right now as you read this post. I have no idea what this other thing is that is being presented as "consciousness", and regardless of how much poetry is written to celebrate it, no one (so far) has actually proven that it exists as anything other than another mythical allegory to illustrate a human intellectual endeavor.

There, I hope that helps you understand what I was shorthanding with that quick statement I offered. This stuff is way too well-established for it to be my own belief system. All I'm doing is agreeing with what has been proven through many different methods and over many years by a lot of other peoples' work.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Awareness does not exist. Exist means to stand out, what is seen. Awareness can not be seen because it sees, it knows, it is aware. Awareness exists by not existing.
You should watch the video in the OP.

I'm sorry, but you clearly don't understand the nature of physical existence. I did watch that video. I don't have to agree with it. I am free to disagree with what I believe to be untrue.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Physical existance??
Have scientists found any matter yet? They can't find anything solid, atoms are no more than tendencies. Quarks are and aren't at the same time.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

u dont even recognize what physical is, physical is not an object to b of matters

physical mean real, real mean ones, ones mean free awareness self objective realisation, objective realisation mean truth existence right, existence right mean freedom rights, CQFD so... get out u and ur boss and ur universe and ur consciousness and ur god oust out

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Physical existance??
Have scientists found any matter yet? They can't find anything solid, atoms are no more than tendencies. Quarks are and aren't at the same time.

Matter is only a manifestation of one form of physical existence. Information is the other form and it, too, has more than one way of manifesting. Matter, in fact, is just a perception interpretation by the human mind. I watched that video and the guy presenting did offer one bit of information that I do agree with, although I believe that - like most of what is accepted as fact - the interpretation of the indication only gets close to the truth of what's being examined. The theory he presented that I sort of agree with is called Planck's Constant. And, while this is the first I've ever heard of it, (and I'm assuming at the moment that the lecturer was interpreting that theory accurately) the statement "Every photon of light is an identical unit of action." is very close to being true, even if the statement itself suggests something that isn't actually true.

Still, it highlights a notion that can be related to the true nature of matter, and that is that matter is organized activity that has established a defined identity and persists as existential manifestation in service of the ongoing survival of that established identity. Of course, this is looking at matter from a primordial point of view.

The truth is that my version of materialism isn't much like anyone else's version of it. My understanding of rigid and dependable structure is probably nothing like rigid and dependable structure as it's commonly referred to in this or any other society or culture. It's pretty hard for me to present what it is that I know to people who haven't got the basis of understanding that is required, so all I can do is keep challenging inaccurate assertions with the hope that it inspires someone to take a serious look at what I've discovered. Even if it leaves most people scratching their heads. Like I said, the whole thing is available for anyone who decides to take it on, so it's not as if I'm purposely holding anything in secret. It's published information and can be easily downloaded from Amazon or Smashwords.

To be honest, that Planck's Constant theory really startled me. I had no idea that anyone had gotten that close to the truth concerning material existence.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

Did you watch the video?

Fools Paradise?

Ribbit

Something that doesn't exist can't be aware of itself or anything. It doesn't exist. It has no awareness. Not even in a semantics sense. You suggestion lacks its own logical consistency. You've debunked your own assertion.

Your Logic is flawed!

What if you, your person, is n0thing more than a fragment of Thought? While it can be said you exist in the Thought, the only thing real is the Thought itself, for anything in the Thought doesn't itself exist outside the Thought. It's no different than with Dreams, whereas the Dream is real but what occurs in the Dream isn't, so the actors in the Dream dew kNot exist for real. Your Dreams are a clue to the truth about this.

With your flawed Logic, you are a perfect example of gigo!

Ribbit

Ps: The only thing Real about You is the Soul that powers your Thought.

edit on 8-3-2012 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Awareness does not exist.

In your case, I cannot argue!

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I have no idea what this other thing is that is being presented as "consciousness"

Yes, this is quite clear. And probably so because you have spent hundreds of hours conditioning your mind to dogmatically adopt some variation of a career scientists belief system, or do you feel more comfortable with it being labeled an explanation?

edit on 8-3-2012 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy

I have no idea what this other thing is that is being presented as "consciousness"

Yes, this is quite clear. And probably so because you have spent hundreds of hours conditioning your mind to dogmatically adopt some variation of a career scientists belief system, or do you feel more comfortable with it being labeled an explanation?

To me he sounds like he's psychoanalyzed life, which is loaded with the ME of this, which is delusionary.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
what is funny is the insolence to really believe that u can dare annouce that everyone is as liar for cheap opportunism as u, to generalize the premise of ur awareness in knowing how low it is being only positive will from objective freedom being positive absolutely

stupid, if truth is freedom then any awareness is before being awareness just free
truth is not result, its objective constancy positive ends is the same of before beginning and beyond

what u will never know is what u wont be there at the end, while ur kind are supposed to show up at the end only limitively

what u will never know, is what freedom is the most common happening in quantity and quality to an extent that there is nothing else

u will never know how far a word even is source of freedom, like if someone say to himself there is a table he becomes free sense, while for u he must see all the possible use of

u were supposed to show at the end life, such cheap opportunism as nothing else, mayb it means that ur kind wont exist at the end and that is why u exist now to end it before truth starts to exist for real
as it wont allow such cheap fake freedom to sit there, for what it surely value its right existence facts more then absolute values source, so far beyond the concept of value to its existence constancy rights

so enjoy wat u should expect from such truth means especially made for u, and keep shouting loud ur premises in ur divine inspirations it surely rush ur enlightenment kind

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join