It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Republican’s bill condemns single parents for ‘child abuse and neglect’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Wisc. Republican’s bill condemns single parents for ‘child abuse and neglect’

It's S.B. 507 (Wisc.) authored by state Sen. Glenn Grothman (R).

Does anyone from Wisconsin know anything about this ?

Please Read this:

A Wisconsin Republican has introduced a bill to the state Senate that would force the state’s Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Board to print literature that calls unmarried parents “a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.”

The directives put forth in S.B. 507 would see the state board creating educational materials that condemn “nonmarital parenthood.” Associated third party groups that receive state grants would also be required to include that message in their own literature.

Those materials, along with pamphlets issued by third party groups that receive state grants, would also be required to “emphasize the role of fathers” in safeguarding a child’s well being.

The requirement is a bit startling, especially to single parents who ended their marriage to prevent child abuse or neglect. And that’s not a small group of people either: 31 percent of Wisconsin parents are single, according to the Annie E. Casey Foundation.

The bill’s author, state Sen. Glenn Grothman (R), did not respond to a request for comment.

Source The Raw Story

Well what's next ?

"Permits" for a parent to keep a child ?

Maybe we pass legislation to force women to complete some kind of family economic and ethics class so they can keep their own kids ?

[/sarcasm]

What will they think of next !!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The religious right (currently called the GOP) is on a rampage.
38 states have voter ID laws on the dockets.
28 states passed highly restrictive abortion laws in 2011.
They are at war with women's rights, advocating outlawing birth control.
And now it looks like they want to start proceedings to outlaw divorce, too.

These people are insane.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Some people will do anything to push their viewpoints on others. My father died of cancer caused by 9/11 and my mother was left by herself to raise two children. How would to single parents like this, who is a single parent due to causes outside of their control, be affected by this law? Will they be targeted as well? Will the "religion police" be knocking on their doorstep?
Also, I have been growing up without a father. Does that mean I am a murderous psychopath or whatever they think people who grow up different are these days? I definitely am not, and while I see the importance of a father figure in development, there are some cases where there is none and the kid turns out fine.
The bill doesn't call for any punishment to single parents and only for literature to be printed, much like the anti-(insert religious or ethnic group here) readings of the KKK, Nazis, etc. Are these people going to turn out any different?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Some people may believe reports like this:

Fatherless youth at higher risk for jail - study
Young men who grow up in homes without fathers are twice as likely to
end up in jail as those who come from traditional two-parent families,
according to a new study released Thursday. Cynthia Harper of the
University of Pennsylvania and Sara S. McLanahan of Princeton
University tracked a sample of 6,000 males aged 14-22 from 1979-93.
They found that those boys whose fathers were absent from the
household had double the odds of being incarcerated - even when other
factors such as race, income, parent education and urban residence
were held constant. See www.infobeat.com...
[if link doesn't work, copy and paste URL]
(quoted here from Coalition for Marriage, Family and Couples Education, LLC's news listserv)

Studies have shown that there is a strong correlation with the number of single parent families and the crime rate in a cities with a population over 100,000 regardless of the socioeconomics or racial composition of the city.
"No-Fault Divorce: Proposed Solutions to a National Tragedy," 1993 Journal of Legal Studies 2, 19 citing R. Sampson, Crime in Cities: The Effects of Formal and Informal Social Control. In M. Tonry & Morris, Crime and Justice 271-301 (1987).

Children of divorce: Crime statistics

Is any of this accurate ?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Dear Xuenchen,

You've found an overblown example of "spinning." I'm almost sorry it caught your eye. The bill does not condemn single parents for child abuse and neglect, there is no law against being a single parent, children will not be taken from single parents.

The bill gives direction to a state board on abuse and neglect. That board oversees the Wisconsin Children's Trust Fund. The fund's purpose is to do research and provide education to help communities and individuals reduce the chances of neglect and abuse.

They already research into the effects of poverty, crime, education, neighborhood, etc. The fund is being directed to add single parenthood to the long list of things they can study and write about. That's it. No big deal.

There's a thread discussing it here: www.abovetopsecret.com... if you care to see more discussion on this bill.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Yep !

I agree.

That's why I had questions.

The article seems slanted and sensationalized.

Depending on someone's views however, people tend to "think ahead" in negative ways and wonder what's next.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Aww poor wittle leftie doesn't like the Traditionalist Noose.

When society stops forcing Men into traditionalist gender roles at the point of the gun stuff like this will stop. But if you keep men locked into their traditional gender role and responsibility, it serves as an anchor to force traditionalism on women too.

It is interconnected. But yous don't see it. And because lefties don't see it, they will seek to merely undo what the traditionalist done + pass law's/do stuff against men, enshrining more traditionalist responsibilities onto men( as a form of over compensation). This will end up resulting in the noose becoming tighter and tighter as lefties fight against it.

I find this all to be most amusing.

new topics

top topics

join