It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world 'ended' 7 months ago

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
There have been about 514 leap years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without an extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28th 2013. Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap years.
So if anything was going to happen it would've happened 7 months ago?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jNormal

Isnt the leap year in the gregorian calendar because there is an extra 6 hours every year or something? The day is added on the 4th year in its entirety because it is easier than adding 6 hours every year.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Im pretty sure that the people who decoded the Mayan calendar and matched it with our own would have accounted for leap years, if not, well, they didn't do their job and whoever researched the Mayan calendar that brought about the date should be ashamed.

Im confident that they did account for leap years though, unless you can prove otherwise.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
That's a very interesting way to think about it. I never thought about that before. lol. props . But like the above says. They probably did take that into account during the decoding process. Still a cool idea.
edit on 5-3-2012 by wrksstudios because: added content

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jNormal

i just saw this floating around facebook
seems like its spreading like wildfire too, ive seen several shares and now even on ATS

my answer as i did on facebook was while the mayan calendar didnt take the leap year into account the translating calculation to put it as Dec 21 did

also anyone remember seeing the Oct 28th recalculation? i dont think that was from leap years but would like if anyone else could explain what caused that recalculation...

ps. i stand by trolloks
edit on 5-3-2012 by trust_no_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jNormal
There have been about 514 leap years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without an extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28th 2013. Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap years.
So if anything was going to happen it would've happened 7 months ago?

if you miss or don't count leap years. then we have been going through the calendar faster than reality, meaning that your math is backwards... and that now would be some time before march 5 2012... since we skipped days... get it?

I think that dec 21 2012 is a calibrated date, and should be accurate, but who knows??
edit on 3/5/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jNormal

Mayan's never predicted the world would end and if they were able to why didn't they foresee their own end?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jNormal

if you think that the gregorian calender goes back that far (to ceaser),
and leap year (which is still pretty new in our calender)
minus the 7 year margin of general error that our calender has,
and the make up for our own lack of leap year since our calenders creation,
and it (our calender) is based on a date that not one person is sure of.

it is the gregorian calender that is wrong, not the mayan calenders (plural)

and btw, the mayans did know about the .25 of a day left over and made up for it in 2 of their caleners at least.

how can the mayan calender end if its a series of circles?

maybe pope gregory found the end of a circle lol
edit on 5-3-2012 by violence=answer because: leap year make up time travel

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jNormal

You all know there are 6 hours a year added for the earth's revolutions? If you multiply 6 (in hours a year) times 4 years (every time there is a leap day added), that makes 24 hours.....Get it??

WE LOSE NO TIME FROM A LEAP YEAR.....If I wasn't clear with my math above!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I wondered how long until this made it's way from facebook to here. I've always questioned the mayan thing due to all the changes in the calenders.

edit on 5/3/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jNormal

The Mayan calendar has been shown to be more accurate than our own. Therefore that doesn't hold up.But good thinking anyway.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
I wondered how long until this made it's way from facebook to here. I've always questioned the mayan thing due to all the changes in the calenders.

edit on 5/3/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling

Yup saw it too and wondered the same thing.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl
reply to post by jNormal

Mayan's never predicted the world would end and if they were able to why didn't they foresee their own end?

my thoughts exactly.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I'm d..d...d..d..dead?

Well at least it didn't hurt.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Maybe they did and just left.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brandon88

They were invaded by the Spanish conquistadors in the 1520's and the Spanish conquistadors conquered the Mayans.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

They were invaded by the Spanish conquistadors in the 1520's and the Spanish conquistadors conquered the Mayans.

That was the dregs - Classical Mayan civilisation disappeared long before the Spanish got there

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

That was the dregs - Classical Mayan civilisation disappeared long before the Spanish got there

Mayan--
After 900 the Maya mysteriously declined in the southern lowlands of Guatemala. They later revived in the north on the Yucatán Peninsula and continued to dominate the area until the Spanish conquest in the 16th century. Descendants of the Maya still form a large part of the population of the region. Although many have adopted Spanish ways, a significant number of modern Maya maintain traditional cultural practices.

Yea they just disappeared.
poof gone

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Around 900 A.D., for reasons still not proven, the Mayas suddenly started to decline. The theories proposed by archaeologists for their collapse are very diverse and most likely will remain a mystery forever. Due to this, we fell that the theories that caused the disintegration of this incredible civilization deserve to be looked at in more detail.

Nobody knows, yes the conquistadors conquered where the mayans at one point resided. But do we know if that was the cause of the disappearance of the mayans no, just a theory.

From another source

No one will ever know for sure why the Mayans abandoned their cities, but we do know that the ruins are in the jungles with the buildings standing. And the Mayans may have moved for any number of combinations of the reasons listed above. The Mayans were a wonderful civilization and it is horrible that they collapsed. Because the Mayans fell apart so many years ago, no one will ever know why they disappeared. It is mystery that we will never know how to solve.

edit on 5-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join