It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study links heavy diesel exhaust to lung cancer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Anything to create new law suits in this prison planet , it's lawyers that run the country and make the laws. They sponser these studies , make a list of professional witnesses then go after these companies but not for justice and only for the hard cold cash. Lawyers are the leeches of society and this is sad because it use to be such an honorable profession.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

I seriously doubt the current NCD Pandemic that's killing 37 million people this year has anything to do with lawyers.

Unfortunately, the ONLY way ordinary people can fight against corporate persons is through the courts. Seems lawyers are a necessary evil after all.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

yes but the larger particles are able to be expelled via sneezing coughing etc , they do not pass the genetic barriers like benzene rings etc

Nope - I grew up on a farm and I can tell you diesel has ALWAYS made me really sick.

Also, the barriers are not "genetic" - they're mechanical, and the particles DO pass through the lung membrane and get into the bloodstream. Small, ultra-fine and nanoparticles get through the cell membranes, and dick with all sorts of things like metabolism.

...Once they're in the body, these particles create epigenetic changes. Genetics has nothing to do with it.

Epigenetic Influences and Disease

The external environment's effects upon genes can influence disease, and some of these effects can be inherited in humans. …

What Is Epigenetics? How Do Epigenetic Changes Affect Genes?

Epigenetics involves genetic control by factors other than an individual's DNA sequence. Epigenetic changes can switch genes on or off and determine which proteins are transcribed.

Epigenetics is involved in many normal cellular processes. Consider the fact that our cells all have the same DNA, but our bodies contain many different types of cells: neurons, liver cells, pancreatic cells, inflammatory cells, and others. How can this be? In short, cells, tissues, and organs differ because they have certain sets of genes that are "turned on" or expressed, as well as other sets that are "turned off" or inhibited. Epigenetic silencing is one way to turn genes off, and it can contribute to differential expression. Silencing might also explain, in part, why genetic twins are not phenotypically identical. In addition, epigenetics is important for X-chromosome inactivation in female mammals, which is necessary so that females do not have twice the number of X-chromosome gene products as males (Egger et al., 2004). Thus, the significance of turning genes off via epigenetic changes is readily apparent.

Within cells, there are three systems that can interact with each other to silence genes: DNA methylation, histone modifications, and RNA-associated silencing…

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by Danbones

I spend a lot of time in an island area where one man ran the fuel delivery boat for years
gas to a few stops, but primarily home fuel and diesel

he use to stand by the nozzle

at about age fifty he came down with several different cancers and various other medical conditions and croaked.
he was a nice man (RIP)

Not an unusual story. Unfortunately.

As I said earlier, I know diesel is bad bad bad because I get really sick really fast when I breathe the exhaust. ...Do my best to avoid traffic areas.

You removed part of his quote, where he said he wanted to talk about **FUEL PRIOR TO IGNITION**.
Why is that??
Is it because you are biased to hate diesel engines altogether and just want to see them go away?
Why do you consistently and purposefully ignore and discourage all talk of fuel sources having an effect on the health hazards?

He specifically said that the guy who died young of multi-cancer was "STANDING BY THE FILL NOZZLE" of these fuels. There was gasoline as well!!!
How can you say it definitely even WAS the diesel fuel that caused it?
For all anyone knows, it was the carcinogenic effect of ALL 3 FUELS.

It sure as hell wasn't a diesel engine that killed him!

You keep cherry-picking data and poking the thorn deeper, over this whole vendetta you have for diesel engines. It's really starting to become painfully obvious how BIASED you are.

Bring some data on how BIO-RENEWABLE VEGETABLE-OIL BASED FUELS, (any of them, not even ALGAE specific oil) combined with a diesel engine are cancer-causing and you'll shut me up for good. OK?
edit on 12-3-2012 by LeonoraTenen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
As I said earlier, I know diesel is bad bad bad because I get really sick really fast when I breathe the exhaust.

One more thing: By your logic Sofi-Crow, all mechanics should be dead dead dead by the age of 50.
But unfortunately for your argument, they tend to live just as long as other men, but maybe longer due to the constant activity and exercise they get, helping them to live longer than the average desk loaf we call a man nowadays.
edit on 12-3-2012 by LeonoraTenen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LeonoraTenen

You removed part of his quote

Yep - I did, and linked to the post. ATS rules discourage full reprints - not to mention trolling and attempting to pick fights. Like many, I tend to only pull up the points I plan to address. My limitations include (lack of) time, interest and patience.

This thread is about the link between diesel and cancer. Related issues with links and references are certainly welcome, but like others, I frown upon opinions-presented-without-documentation. However often they may be repeated.

There appears to be a reasonable consensus in this thread as follows:

1. ALL combustion results in toxic emissions;

2. Some fuels are worse than others but none are "good";

3. New filtering systems that rely on a secondary "burn" may produce higher concentrations of nanoparticles; and of course, as the title states,

4. Heavy diesel exhaust is linked to cancer.

.....Unfortunately, troll activity has precluded a deeper investigation and analysis of the real issues.

edit on 12/3/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join