It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘The Hum’ leaves village ears ringing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

‘The Hum’ leaves village ears ringing

www.examiner.ie

Despairing residents in a remote Kerry parish have told how their lives have been made a living hell by a mystery humming noise that is disrupting their sleep and causing chaos every day.

They are pleading with the Government to investigate the source of the constant, pulsating, low-frequency noise that cannot be traced despite repeated efforts.

Frustrated locals in a rural part of Beaufort, 15km from Killarney, have been hearing the bizarre noise since early last year but cannot find what is causing it.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Rules for posting Breaking News
You must use the original story headline from your source. If the headline is biased or otherwise inapporpriate, explain why you think it is so in your submission comments.

edit on March 1st 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Hi.
So I havent made too many threads here so I hope I folowed the right protocol and the subject isnt already posted.If it is then mods do your thing.

So I was sceptical about the Hum sound. You cant really believe youtube videos 100 percent,they could be faking it, for a while I thought maybe it was a viral marketing campaign for a new movie,and peoples individul stories about hearig noises was maybe a passing plane, or train nearby.

But it seems its being heard in a village in Ireland now.
I wonder are there any Irish posters here who have heard the noise?. i havent here in Cork, but definately witnessed some chem trail spraying,which I was also sceptical of.

Is there a consenses of what this sound could be?

www.examiner.ie
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
They've been hearing the rumblings phenomenon everyday?

That is..if it is in fact the same strange rumblings sounds being heard around the world.

Personally, I wasn't aware of accounts from others around the world, of them hearing it every single day..

So this may possibly be a different sound?

Sadly, the link you shared does not come with any video/audio footage..so I tried searching on YouTube..but no luck.

It's easy to be led to false conclusions these days, especially on the Internet..

However, if it IS the same low rumbling kind of sound that was being heard, I tend to go with this explanation I saw, posted by an ATS member:

Possible explanation to the 'Rumblings'?

S&F

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the link.

yeah theres no audio as far as I know, but if they hear it every day they should try to record it, They have officially complained to the government about it so its documented.

"We thought the noise might be coming from water pumps installed in the area by Kerry County Council but an engineer switched the pumps off for a trial period and the noise was still there."

so if the city engineers go turning off local water pumps to eliminate this from the possible source than this noise is legite and causing real problems for people.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I live in Tullamore and i have been hearing strange sounds lately too.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe
However, if it IS the same low rumbling kind of sound that was being heard, I tend to go with this explanation I saw, posted by an ATS member:

Possible explanation to the 'Rumblings'?S&F
That's not an explanation.

People are hearing noises aka sound waves. What you linked to is talking about electromagnetic radiation, which is like light and radio waves, it's not sound waves.

I've listened to different youtube recordings, and I suspect there's more than one cause because the noises don't all sound the same.

At low frequencies it is hard to find the source, for the same reason your home theater instructions tell you it really doesn't matter where you put the subwoofer, you can't tell where that sound is coming from.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Not only in southern Ireland but this appeared on our local radio station reported from Derry in Northern Ireland on 24th Feb

Mystery surrounds nightime noise in Derry

Posted: 24/Feb 09:23
Last Updated: 24/Feb 09:23

The Secretary of State in the North has been asked to help solve the mystery of noisy night-time air operations in the skies over Derry.

There have been dozens of reports of families being wakened from their sleep by aircraft noise over the past few weeks. Foyle MLA Pat Ramsey has now written to Owen Paterson demanding an explanation.

People from the Creggan, Crescent Link, Steelstown, Rosemount, Gobnascale and Galliagh have all complained of the noise.

Pat Ramsey says the noise is causing havoc with the sleeping patterns of local people….

Link
www.highlandradio.com...

edit on 1-3-2012 by TiocfaidhArLa because: Addition of location

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Angrybadger

I've heard it in the Midlands in England occasionally as well. Sounds to me like a lorry parked up with the engine idling and is very directional.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

reply to post by TiocfaidhArLa

´the Hum´ from the first link is not the same noise as the rumble because the first is a low frequency hum and the second is really loud noise resembling trains, thunder or low flying aircraft's.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Huh, I remember seeing a story about a mysterious hum in Taos, NM, on Unsolved Mysteries years and years ago. Apparently some people hear it non-stop, while others can't hear it at all. It was so bad there, some people actually had to move away. I wonder if it's still going on in Taos as well.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Got to ask,is it a electronic sounding hum,or more mechanical.
Can others hear it to?
Sound waves can propagate,or be carried great distances by wind and other factors.

The electronic buzzing is something different to which some people are more susceptible to it then others.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I sincerely hope this town can find some answers before they begin having serious issues.
Yes, there are 2 sounds being reported now. I didn't think much of it when I heard people reporting rumbling sounds. It's still freaky. I think I too have heard the hum though. I thought it was just another new sound in my new environment after moving to the coast in rural Oahu, Hawaii. At first it was a little mesmerizing as I would look out my lanai over the ocean for hours but then it got so irritating I would have to shut the door and windows. It was a very low almost quiet buzz, like electrical, I thought but there is nothing around me that would cause that. It was making me so crazy I actually considered it may be dolphins or whales and was supposed to sound like that here. Which I know is so totally ridiculous! My husband heard it as well but not everytime I did and not everyone I asked could hear it, only some could. It would go on for hours or days, then not at all for a day here and there. I heard this sound for 2 solid years. Within the last few months I haven't heard it even once. I have absolutley no explaination for this sound as everything I come up with sounds insane once I say it out loud.
Well, make that three sounds. The loud booming is being reported all over too.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angrybadger
"We thought the noise might be coming from water pumps installed in the area by Kerry County Council but an engineer switched the pumps off for a trial period and the noise was still there."

so if the city engineers go turning off local water pumps to eliminate this from the possible source than this noise is legite and causing real problems for people.

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe
reply to post by Angrybadger

I've heard it in the Midlands in England occasionally as well. Sounds to me like a lorry parked up with the engine idling and is very directional.

If it's very directional, then you should be able to find the source. But the noise I heard at one address I lived at sounded like those descriptions, I thought it sounded like a pump running, however it was NOT very directional, it seemed to be coming from "everywhere" but I suspect that's just an illusion created by the low frequency. I lived about 20 miles outside a military base and I always thought that was the likely source, but it's hard to determine the direction of low frequency sounds.

Originally posted by kdog1982
Can others hear it to?
Sound waves can propagate,or be carried great distances by wind and other factors.

The electronic buzzing is something different to which some people are more susceptible to it then others.
Good question as people hear sounds that cannot be recorded, some are in their head like tinnitis. But there are youtube recordings of strange sounds in different places, and we can hear them too so those definitely aren't tinnitis. It would be nice if there were some youtube sound recordings related to the OP story but I haven't heard any. However it sounds like multiple people hear the same sound so it's probably not tinnitis, but it would still be nice to hear the recording. You need somewhat sensitive equipment to record very low frequencies, as cheap recorders don't have very good low frequency response and may not capture very low frequency sounds.

So yeah, record this sound, and post the recording on youtube, it will keep all the other recordings of strange sounds company.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

People are hearing noises aka sound waves. What you linked to is talking about electromagnetic radiation, which is like light and radio waves, it's not sound waves.

I've listened to different youtube recordings, and I suspect there's more than one cause because the noises don't all sound the same.

At low frequencies it is hard to find the source, for the same reason your home theater instructions tell you it really doesn't matter where you put the subwoofer, you can't tell where that sound is coming from.

It's a suggestive contagion. That's why the recordings all sound different. I hear hums all the time, my refrigerator to the refrigeration unit on top of a local restaurant about a block away.

This one is not hard.

Mentioning a subwoofer is a great example. That would be like a power line hum from a bleed off short, transformer hum etc.

This is all a matter of the power of suggestion at work obviously.

XL5

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
If that sound was where I lived, I would drive/bike to where I can't hear the sound and do that in 3 directions. Then, I would record the strength of the sound in different spots where it seems loudest and map it till I find whats doing it.

People are too quick to have some one else do it, thats why the govt. is not going away sadly.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool

It's a suggestive contagion. That's why the recordings all sound different. I hear hums all the time, my refrigerator to the refrigeration unit on top of a local restaurant about a block away.

This one is not hard.

Mentioning a subwoofer is a great example. That would be like a power line hum from a bleed off short, transformer hum etc.

lol

try again "lildude".

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose

This one is not hard.

lol

try again "lildude".

Then the hums must be originating from a secret underground base ran by aliens designed to drive the humans living above crazy so it will be that much easier to take over the planet. Silly me, I should've known better.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Then the hums must be originating from a secret underground base ran by aliens designed to drive the humans living above crazy so it will be that much easier to take over the planet. Silly me, I should've known better.

Well, let's see...
You seemed decisive in your dismissive debunking of ALL of these sounds.
You left no open-endedness for further discussion.

I don't see why someone can't respond with a requisite amount of dismissiveness in return.

You stated your conclusion (not a receptive hypothesis), saying "it's obviously (such & such)" which means you're done debunking or debating it.

You could have said anything to the effect of "Hey, don't you think *maybe* it could be (such & such)?" instead of it's obviously your neighbor's fridge running and mass hysteria... yup.

There are some funky noises being heard, documented and recorded [like those that resemble a massive propellor (like a copter blade) whooshing in patterns, then just stopping] which defy all aforementioned lazy debunkers' tee-ball reaches. There is obviously more going on than sheer hysteria and power of suggestion.

edit on 2-3-2012 by LeonoraTenen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Can others hear it to?

i was listning to a man on the radio yesterday that lived down there, by the way he was describing it it sounds more like an electrical hum/ low frequency rather than a mechanical hum.

i have heard the mechanical hum here myself in the midlands in nenagh but it sounds very different to what this man was describing yesterday.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I have been researching on the sudden bouts of tinnitus that many communities are suffering but the media is not covering anything.

This is been linked in many instances to the replacement of old electric meters to the new wireless ones.

Perhaps, people should be turning to what is been done in their homes lately rather than trying to link this new wave of noises to "super natural forces".

Since the meter was change in my home last year, my existing ear ringing is worst, my husband that never had the problem before is suffering now, I even can hear music when trying to fall asleep.

Some cities are banning this new technology been installed you wanting or not in your home this started last year in my neck of the woods..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join