It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N.: Syria death toll 'well over' 7,500? CNN Playing The Same Number Game As In Bosnia?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Source CNN

102 die on Tuesday, opposition says, including 50 in Homs

As the total death toll in Syria climbed past 7,500, according to U.N. estimates

Lol according to U.N. estimates the same estimates that had the same number for Bosnia in Srebrenica sadly i am not believing nor buying the opposition claims.

And the way CNN Anderson Cooper has been pumping up the opposition side is laughable.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
That imo is very cool of you to notice. I fear more people are becoming so dead inside they believe these 'familiar' numbers which are such a lie. It goes to show just how unimportant human beings really are. They keep count of cattle and sheep better than human life.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'd seen this too and thought to myself...7,500 people over 11 months of active conflict. Well... They're off to a good start, but they still don't hold a candle to the loss rates and death tolls of Iraq. It'll take the West to intervene for those numbers to rise to the level of a good and proper disaster and nightmare to the civilian population.

It's just a horrible situation now. Disaster will come soon enough. Real soon by the talk in the UN and Washington.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

The linked article says "UN estimates". When I see real Syrians telling us, in Syrian (with subtitles) or English, then I will start to reconsider my position on this whole propaganda attack.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'd seen this too and thought to myself...7,500 people over 11 months of active conflict. Well... They're off to a good start, but they still don't hold a candle to the loss rates and death tolls of Iraq. It'll take the West to intervene for those numbers to rise to the level of a good and proper disaster and nightmare to the civilian population.

It's just a horrible situation now. Disaster will come soon enough. Real soon by the talk in the UN and Washington.

I agree however i dont believe the actual death toll is at 7500 it seems that UN just used the same numbers from the Bosnian conflict and added it them as actual numbers.

Yet No one in Syria can actually confirm those Numbers
where did they get the magic number of 7500? the terrorist opposition?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The whole Serbia ``problem`` was created by the elite... with the help of Joseph Lieberman.

The Weight of Chains

Must watch documentary.

Syria is basically the same thing... Bernanke prints lots of money, exporting inflation in the middle-east... CIA goes in to stir up trouble, the whole thing creates a movement on it's own... it then spreads everywhere...

The conflict in Syria is also a RELIGIOUS WAR between Iran and Saudi Arabia... between Sunnis and Shia.

Saudi Arabia wants to take out the ``evil Shia branch of islam``... and by taking out the Allawites (Shia) Assad family, they take out an important Iranian ally AND an ``evil shia``.

Make no mistake, this is a regional power and a religious war... doesn't have anything to do with resources or caring about civil rights.
edit on 28-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Why is 7,500 unbelievable? Assad's own father put down a revolt, mainly in homs no less, and 40,000 people died..

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Because, as we know, Agent_USA believes that it simply is not possible for the People of Libya, Egypt, Tunisia or Syria to have got fed up with oppression and revolt, but would rather believe everything is made up by Western MSM to fool us into attacking them, that there is no uprising and that, really, Gaddafi, Assad and others are angelic personifications of perfection who are loved by their people..

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Free Syrian Army 'received arms from West'

Speaking to reporters in the city of Al-Qusair, a Free Syrian Army general claims that the militia group has received arms from French and American sources.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

They are being given weapons by the west.

They are full of irregular fighters. I would argue that the west is sending mercenaries over there and giving them weapons. Probably from the other destroyed nations. Libya, Egypt, ect. They are not being promised paychecks for military service, just not to their respective countries. That is terrorism. I heard they even have al-Qaida in their ranks.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by freethis

"I heard", "I would argue", "I bet"....

Not much to go on, is it?

I hope to heaven that we are sending the opposition weapons as it is totally disgusting we are being forced to sit idly by as Assad shells cities to stop protests.

Oh, by the way, Egypt is hardly a "destroyed" nation and the West took no action at all with regards to Mubarak, the Egyptian Army itself removed him. Doesn't say much for your credibility on these matters when you can't even get verifiable facts like that right.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Clinton: Arming Syrian rebels could help al Qaeda
ByWyatt Andrews

Clinton: Too many concerns over arming Syrians
Red Cross delivers aid to battered Syrian city

"What are we going to arm them with and against what? We're not going to bring tanks over the borders of Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan," Clinton said.

Another administration concern is that weapons might go to al Qaeda.

"We know al Qaeda [leader Ayman al-] Zawahiri is supporting the opposition in Syria. Are we supporting al Qaeda in Syria? Hamas is now supporting the opposition. Are we supporting Hamas in Syria?" Clinton said. "If you're a military planner or if you're a secretary of state and you're trying to figure out do you have the elements of an opposition that is actually viable, that we don't see. We see immense human suffering that is heartbreaking."

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

so they lack leadership...ok

and we want to give a bunch of people guns who answer to no one, ok

that makes sense.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Turkmani has family in the embattled city of Homs. She’s an academic based in London, and she’s also a member of another Syrian opposition group, called “Building the Syrian State.”

She’s opposed to any foreign intervention. “How is it going to work” she asks, “how are the shells going to fall particularly on the tanks of the regime without losing many more people, many more innocent civilians.”

Turkmani also told anchor Lisa Mullins that she objected to Syrians taking up arms. “I am opposition to my bones,” she says, but “we are taking the wrong road” by taking up arms. It just gives the regime “an excuse to kill more civilians.”

www.theworld.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by freethis

At least they would be able to defend themselves, which is more than can be said at the moment while we stand idly by watching them get killed in the dozens...

Basically, the West is damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we intervene in any way, we're "imperialists" (Libya, for example), if we sit by and do nothing, we are chastised for allowing a humanitarian distater to unfold (Bosnia, for example)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

There is something about all this that bothers me...and your simply one of many to raise the point but its a point that just fails the logic test for me.

How do we know they have any problem fighting back over there? Sure...they lack tanks and jets, but this is 11 months of fighting. How would it be almost a year long without two sides fighting rather hard? I sure don't believe Assad is simply pulling punches and being a nice guy in taking this long.

Sorry if that's nitpicking, but this rush to "arm" the rebels, as if they have no weapons, just makes no sense in context?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

From what I can gather, the "Free Syrian Army" (the collective term for the variety of groups) is only armed with light weaponry taken with soldiers who defected or from fallen Government forces.

Government forces also have the "rebels" (for want of a better term) holed up in isolated regions, mainly urban area's. This makes it more likely that they can withstand a protracted conflict with superior forces, as we have seen exactly the same thing happen in Iraq when the might of US military took an age to get on top of the insurgency which too was only armed with light weaponry. Look at Misrata in Libya as well. There a few hundred lightly armed rebels held of the combined might of a whole Brigade of Gaddafis' troops who had rocket launchers, tanks and other heavy weapons.

So, in my mind, that is how they have kept this going. Had they took to the open battlefield and faced Assads' forces toe to toe, I doubt they would be around today for us to worry about.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Hmm... Well, I take your point over how even U.S. forces have been stymied by much smaller and weaker groups because of their choice to hide and fight from among the civilian population there. The problem in my mind is..... Assad isn't the United States. Contrary to how some believe, the U.S. really does work it's tail off and lose Americans in the process of avoiding civilian casualties. Whether thats doing the right thing or good P.R, it up for debate of course.

Assad has no such problems or any such hang up about civilians.....and if he does, then how is he the monster they make him out to be? Thanks for the time in making the reply. I'm just stumped over how a man as ruthless and brutal as we're told he is....would be screwing around and playing games with a rag-tag pack of rebels that have little for real weapons....when the more time this takes, the closer the world comes to just killing *HIM*. So...Why play? Why not just airstrike the groups and end it like his Father seemed to almost take pleasure in doing.

After all..He's a mad dog killer leading Syria....isn't he?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

More innocents died at the hands of Gaddafi then died at the hands of allied bombing to remove him.

Thousands, in fact. That's why they went there to stop him and eventually did.
edit on 28-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

As seen from defections and the reports of soldiers being shot for refusing orders, Assad probably isn't as strong as we might think, in that he doesn't have that many troops he can reliable call upon to crush the rebellion. So, despite having a willingness to shell urban area's indescrimanately (don't forget he is targetting those that protest as well, not just those that fight back), he lacks the raw power to end this conclusively.

I also believe he knows he is walking a tightrope with this one, as he has to put down the rebellion but not do so in such a brutal manner that the Chinese and Russians will be forced to act at the UNSC. For his part, Assad is playing an awesome game in terms of geo-politics and has made Gaddafi look like a rank amateur in comparison.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Why is 7,500 unbelievable? Assad's own father put down a revolt, mainly in homs no less, and 40,000 people died..

First all the sources the western mainstream are using are the untrusted The Syrian opposition as they call themselves terrorist groups have come out and support them.

There are no any actual sources on the ground that we can confirm that the number is real.

Even the The Syrian opposition leader stated that even with the fall of Assad regime they would still support Hezbollah.

So to believe the Syrian Rebels is like believing the Libyan NTC Libya is sure doing great isn't it?
edit on 29-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join