It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security's Latest Scientific Interests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Apparently, the DHS has had an eye on Popular Science magazine for some time now. Check out the top 5 articles that they and DARPA were paying the most attention to. Your own personal guesses as to the reason why these particular articles were chosen to be watched are as good as any one else's at this point. PopSci takes a few guesses at "why" themselves, even. Full article can be found here.

1. Citizens in Flood Zone Build Homemade Levees to Protect Their Homes

2. The Best Kids Toys for Adults

3. 11 Ways Science and Technology are Waging War on Winter

4. Could Scientists Really Create a Zombie Apocalypse Virus?

5. 2020 Vision: A Look Forward to the Promises of a Truly Amazing Year

A quick note about #5 here in this list. In the article PopSci purports that DHS was interested in the article because it spoke about their "time machine." This is not actually the case. The alert was sent up because they used the phrase "Vision 2020." Not common knowledge but if you google this phrase(specifically: "Joint Vision 2020"), it underlies US military goals in a document. You will find this includes psychological goals, space domination, etc.
-------------------------------------------------------

A second item of interest noted in this article is a link detailing a number of key terms that will send up red flags whenever they are found together on an internet page. Words or phrases like: Dirty Bomb, Domestic nuclear detection, Emergency management, Emergency response.

DHS Monitoring Terms

In short, if anyone here ever questioned whether ATS was under surveillance or not, with all of the forum posts containing these "key terms," there should be no doubt. This goes for telephone, texting, Facebook, or Twitter conversations as well.
edit on 27-2-2012 by SoulVisions because: added article link.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Great find, OP.

I'ma dig through it and try to come up with my own guesses. Bumpity.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I'd go as fa as to say they are fully sided.
It's a clear given, since the act via 1993 of monitoring of the communication mediums. While of course not limited to separate or working with organizations that place certain topics, to individuals on a list from these social media, weather they be marked as private or not(email or setting).
I fondly remember this quote and have my whole time as a commenter, poster, on the interwebs. "Every thing you say, can and will be used against you." The time now is more than true from the once recent intelligence fronted mega conglomerate, I mean internet, that is becoming a global consciousness of the people.
edit on 28-2-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SoulVisions

so this popsci website was able to determine exactly what dhs/fbi/cia etc etc was looking at when they came to their website and how many times they came to their website?

why doesnt ats do that? why dont we see a thread up on ats from its owners showing us the same thing? the items of most interest to these alphebet agencies? i think it would be most revealing, especialy considering the subject matter of this site.

i'll wait to see if this idea catches on and this website actualy follows through on such a great idea, not holdin my breath though. somethin tells me ats wouldnt want to give its readers that info....
edit on 2/28/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye

so this popsci website was able to determine exactly what dhs/fbi/cia etc etc was looking at when they came to their website and how many times they came to their website?

why doesnt ats do that? why dont we see a thread up on ats from its owners showing us the same thing?

This is exactly what I was hoping for, myself. Easy enough to track all incoming traffic from particular addresses. It'd be nice to see it in a format similar to the "ATS Trending Pages" or even just a flat graph- one graph listing interests per agency.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoulVisions

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye

why doesnt ats do that? why dont we see a thread up on ats from its owners showing us the same thing?

This is exactly what I was hoping for, myself. Easy enough to track all incoming traffic from particular addresses. It'd be nice to see it in a format similar to the "ATS Trending Pages" or even just a flat graph- one graph listing interests per agency.

yes,... this...

both of this

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JizzyMcButter

its like the exact type of info that this website is about uncovering, or atleast that is how it purports itself, so will it take advantage of such a clear opportunity? or will this too fall on deaf ears? the more i think about the idea of ats performing the same research into their traffic from gov agencies the more im curious to hear what their results would be,

a top ten list of the most visited threads on ats by government registered ips.

it sure would help enlighten us to deny some ignorance perhaps?

edit on 2/28/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I'll bring it up to the moderators here. Still, I'm surprised this thread hasn't gained more attention. Not so much just due to the idea of tracking incoming traffic as the stories that the various agencies were most interested in.

Rather than just glancing over the 5 topics I listed above, there is so much more to be gained by clicking on the links and learning the details of "why" each topic was of interest.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I'll bring it up to the moderators here. Still, I'm surprised this thread hasn't gained more attention. Not so much just due to the idea of tracking incoming traffic as the stories that the various agencies were most interested in.

I saw that thread, came to this thread, went back and it's already 404ed

Maybe because there's no doubt that they're watching this site too, and all other similar sites. And I don't consider myself paranoid either.

It's silly which words they monitor for, one being blizzard. Is there another meaning? We get at least one blizzard every year...
edit on 28-2-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

4. Could Scientists Really Create a Zombie Apocalypse Virus?

Sweet...I was starting to wonder if I was wasting my time preparing for this.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Great thread OP. Thank you for sharing.

Rev

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I saw that thread, came to this thread, went back and it's already 404ed

I just went to go check on it. Seems like someone else wanted credit for the idea (whatever). For this to work they'd have to take a closer look how it was graphed out by the PopSci site.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Because it is a bunch of bunk that is why.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Because it is a bunch of bunk that is why.

I appreciate your opinion. Still, please explain kindly why those particular articles were visited so often as opposed to others, then?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I fully expected the levees to bring some scrutiny from groups like "homeland security."

They're obviously going to be interested in whoever's building any kind of fortification/walls around their house.

Anyone know of/got any links to stories about how the people who built those levees were treated once the floods subsided? Were they forced to take the walls down?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1825114
I fully expected the levees to bring some scrutiny from groups like "homeland security."

They're obviously going to be interested in whoever's building any kind of fortification/walls around their house.

Anyone know of/got any links to stories about how the people who built those levees were treated once the floods subsided? Were they forced to take the walls down?

I'm unaware about anything after, but before...
Levee explosions

... they heard a loud, powerful explosion right before water starting gushing in, as they ended up in a matter of minutes floating downstream on their rooftops.

... if the levies had performed as they were supposed to, the deaths in New Orleans proper, the scenes in the Superdome and the city's devastation would never have taken place."

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This is great. Thank you for sharing. I'd never even heard of this website before. I'll definitely be looking it over further.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
revisiting to confirm what i had suspected ats has no interest in telling us the info it knows about visit's it receives from gov agencies

why would a website like this not want to tell us such info? is there any reason any one can come up with other then the obvious nefarious one?

top topics

join