It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Birdman" crashes into Table Mountain, releases video.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Jeb Corliss is an extreme sports athlete. He loves basejumps, and uses his special wing suit to soar through the sky like a bird. The suit offers great control, and a wider area of moves, than just freefalling.

However it looks like it did not offer him enough control.

Well the answer is very simple. I was flying to close and messed up I was going for a black balloon that was basically laying on the rocks and was going to try and kick it with my foot. In order to do this I had to fly low and flat between boulders. My left foot clipped a boulder that dragged me into a flat ledge that I took at the waist at full speed. If I had not clipped that boulder I might have made it, I might have still impacted. It’s very hard to tell from the footage. Everything happens very fast. But when you go for a flight where inches are the difference between making it and not making it well impact is very possible. I knew this and took the risk and paid the price for pushing way to hard. I take full responsibility for my actions and am just happy I still have legs to do rehab on.

Full Article

He suffered a couple of broken bones, but will make a full recovery.

Don't try this at home.

vvv

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
They were talking on the radio about Corliss today. Basically the guy was suicidal and base jumping/ skysuit were his only reasons to live. They also talked about his friend "Weston" who hit a bridge at 120 mph in his skysuit and desentegrated on impact. I was able to see the video back in 2003 when it happened and it was not friendly on the eyes. I hope he recovers. I know he has been in that hospital for 5 weeks now.
edit on 25-2-2012 by kenny71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

Indeed mate, it sad seeing this happen with people that enjoy it.

Look, i have bungee jumped, bridge swinged, and skydived, but this, and basejumping is a different matter alltogher!!

He should be fine though, and i am sure he will jump again.

vvv

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Agreed. You can't keep a man like Corliss down. Cheers on all the cool things you have done. Haven't got around to bungee jumping or skydiving yet. I do freeclimb though. Ropes are for sissy's.
edit on 25-2-2012 by kenny71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

LOL!!! Ropes for sissys!? Hey, i can't bungee without a rope!!!

But yeah mate, freeclimbing looks awesome!! Never tried it though, except climbing on the roof of my house

Take care

vvv

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

LOL you need a bungee cord to bungee! you dont need it to free climb, i have such a fear of man made heights its rediculous.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Oh well. If this guy wants to do this type of thing that's his business of course. If he fails so what. What is bothersome is when people do these types of things and run into trouble, sometimes life threatening. They then expect paramedics, firefighters, search & rescue etc. to risk their ass for other peoples arrogance. I think if people run this type of risk and require the help of professional rescue efforts they should pay out of pocket and steeply.

brill

new topics

top topics

join