It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. National Slavery Museum loses its tax-exempt status

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The museum apparently has not filed IRS paperwork since 2007, even though they are in bankruptcy, filed last fall with $7 million in claims by creditors.

That's why their federal tax-exempt status was revoked

Gotta wonder why the trustees failed to file ??

Evidently the organization may have been a scam perpetrated by former Virginia Governor L. Douglas Wilder.

The national slavery museum former Virginia governor L. Douglas Wilder hopes to create can no longer receive tax-deductible charitable contributions.

On Wednesday, the IRS added the U.S. National Slavery Museum to the list of organizations that have had their federal tax-exempt status revoked.
Story

Nearly 20 years ago, former Virginia governor L. Douglas Wilder announced that he wanted to create a museum that would tell the story of slavery in the United States. He had the vision, the clout, the charm to make it seem attainable, and he had already made history: the grandson of slaves, he was the nation’s first elected African American governor.

He assembled a high-profile board, hosted splashy galas with entertainer Bill Cosby promising at least $1 million in support, accepted a gift of some 38 acres of prime real estate smack along Interstate 95 in Fredericksburg and showed plans for a $100 million showstopper museum designed by an internationally renowned architect.

And then . . .

“Governor Wilder disappeared,” said Rev. Lawrence Davies, the former longtime mayor of Fredericksburg who was a member of the board. Davies stopped getting notices about board meetings, and when he tried to reach Wilder, he never heard back.

“No one could ever get through to him,’’ Davies said. “We didn’t know what to think.”
Scam ?

Some local funding seems to be present here, but State or Federal funding -- I don't know ?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Did they call the bars? In Belize?

He took the money, and is liv'n on the beach somewhere.

Do we really want a museum about this?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Maybe Geithner was doing their taxes?

second line

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Two very distinct possibilities.

Mr. Governor is living on the beach with the proceeds.

OR

Those who were appointed to run the organization were given their positions based on skin color, not their ability to run, organize and promote a business or organization. Both scenarios are a recipe for failure.

We as a country are broke. What a waste of money. I would rather see the museum money used to reform the black culture and not perpetuate the whoa is me I am black and need a hand out to get back on me feet because maybe someone in my family lineage could have been a slave culture.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BioSafe

reform the black culture

What does that mean?

On topic: If he disappeared and the money disappeared...not hard to put 1 and 1 together.

Peace

Nevermind..I don't want to know.
edit on 23-2-2012 by spav5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BioSafe
Two very distinct possibilities.

Mr. Governor is living on the beach with the proceeds.

OR

Those who were appointed to run the organization were given their positions based on skin color, not their ability to run, organize and promote a business or organization. Both scenarios are a recipe for failure.

In a social setting, its important to know when to stop talking and be seen as potentially intelligent, or at least insightful
This is that point.

We as a country are broke. What a waste of money. I would rather see the museum money used to reform the black culture

Reform the black culture
reform it into what? white culture? latino culture? What reformation should take place?
They shouldn't be wearing pants down to their knees like a black rapper...but instead just take off their pants like lady gaga?
culture...young culture that is will always be the distain of the elders. it is a cultural norm to not respect the younger people choices and culture.
What specifically are you discussing though..I am sure you have a point..dismiss the heritage in favor of...

and not perpetuate the whoa is me I am black and need a hand out to get back on me feet because maybe someone in my family lineage could have been a slave culture.

Racist much?
Do I, with my italian roots, decry my history of being seen inferior in america's past during the italian immigration?
What your discussing there are individuals...very few individuals mind you, whom are playing the racist card in order to not try in life. You however are painting the entire culture as that...anyone whom learns history is some sort of parasite? really?

nonsense.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

What I think he means is enriching the community while allowing them to retain their culture, if not that's a slightly racist comment.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Just because it has "National" in the name doesn't mean it gets public funding.
We have the Underground Railroad freedom museum in our area. Its focus is on freedom for the slaves.It gets no public money. It's also broke and trying to merge with another museum.

new topics

top topics

join